Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2011, 07:10 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,730,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
Could not agree more, while I think it is VERY easy to spell well and write good, alot of peple don't.

My BFF, as they say these days, is the smartest guy I know. In high school he had straight A's in math and science, but was flunking English. He finally passed, took 2.5 years to flunk out of college, enrolled in a computer school and graduated top of his class. Got an email from him last week, "Lifted too much wait, ripped a bicept". Gotta love it.
Could not agree more, while I think it is VERY easy to spell well and write good, alot of peple don't.

Thanks for proving your own point. (friendly joshing)

Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 AM

30,383 posts, read 23,850,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Thanks for proving your own point. (friendly joshing)
Yes...thanks alot.

Ahem.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:48 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,544,792 times

"I believe to eaches own, although this is nutty, bizzare, and loony the hek tunes."

I could quote more from this one poster. This one just jumped out at me.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:46 PM

88,827 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post

"I believe to eaches own, although this is nutty, bizzare, and loony the hek tunes."

I could quote more from this one poster. This one just jumped out at me.
Don't you wonder how these people even hold a JOB?

Old 11-08-2011, 01:05 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,544,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Don't you wonder how these people even hold a JOB?
In this case I think said poster is retired.

I certainly hope someone who writes like this is NOT working at a job that requires writing skills.

I do so love it when someone called on their butchering of our language says, "Calm down, its just the internet". Instead of learning anything, they get defensive and continue to make the same mistake over and over.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:58 PM

688 posts, read 1,249,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
Not necessarily ^. I am well-educated and have worked in the legal profession for about 30 years. I know many highly-educated people who can neither spell well nor write a proper sentence. That's where I come in. I do their writing for them. They come up with an outline or a rough draft and I prepare a polished final document.

Language skills come easily to some people and not so easily to others, and it often has little to do with intelligence or a willingness to study and learn.
This is true. Perhaps some people who have good skills in mathematics would find my skill level in math...well...laughable.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:39 AM

88,827 posts, read 85,222,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marska View Post
This is true. Perhaps some people who have good skills in mathematics would find my skill level in math...well...laughable.
That's me. I can write and spot errors a mile away, but if you put a gun to my head and told me I had to do an algebra problem...well, I'd be a dead woman.

As a matter of fact, I do not have a college degree because I was unable to pass even the no-credit remedial math class I was required to take when I was trying to obtain my degree at night school. It was very discouraging. I got As in English lit, in Business Law, in Psychology, in Accounting...but I cannot do basic algebra. There is something missing in my brain that just does not grasp it.

And yet...years later I took the CLEP exams, including math (it was a way to bypass having to have a degree for my job) and I scored above average. I can LOOK at the answer and pretty much guess what it's supposed to be, but I can't do the process to get to the answer.

Old 11-13-2011, 07:18 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,848,320 times
Quote:
No one wants to owe up to it.

Old 11-13-2011, 08:56 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,706,651 times
It is absolutely appalling how many spelling and grammatical errors there are, not only in the 'casual' forums but in advertising, especially that created for webpages.

I read on C-D posts constantly that people are looking for employment. They state that they have college degrees - not in IT, or any applied sciences, but in advertising and marketing - and yet they can't even write a simple cohesive sentence with subject-verb agreement!

One of the webpages I frequent to order items has its boldfaced and colorful link to "Holiday's!" Sigh.

I have given up the process of trying to correct their grammar and misspellings. I once sent a "Student's Manual" back to the school district with all of their misspellings and poor grammar corrected in red ink, and gave them a "D" grade right on the cover. The next year the student manual had the same errors. The sad part is that I knew it was computer-generated, with a "spell-check" program. My current boss has a college degree in elementary education, has spent 24 years teaching children, and sends me all of her communiques to be edited for spelling and grammar. She admits that she doesn't even know the usage difference between "take" and "bring". So if you are wondering why there are so many spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors in the world, look no further than those who are supposed to be educating our children. If the children aren't made aware that there are spelling and grammar rules, they simply don't know any better once they become adults.

Old 11-13-2011, 09:56 AM

3,720 posts, read 10,020,215 times
I didn't realize at the time, but I got lucky my senior year in high school. After the first 6 weeks, my English teacher tossed out most of the curriculum for the year and focused nearly all our efforts on grammar. I suppose most of us weren't up to par or she wouldn't have done that. BORING class. I hated it. But now I look back and realize how much that year helped me. Thanks Mrs. Pittenger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.