Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2011, 09:43 AM

88,860 posts, read 85,293,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
This.

I do think they not only need to read but should read quite a bit. I used to frequent the Kindle forum, a place for readers, and would see the same chewed up grammar. I often wondered, "Aren't you all readers? Why do you not know how to write correctly?"

I found out that many of them did read but many of them were reading what I call, "fluff books". (A lot of them were reading romance novels. Not a knock on romance novels but perhaps one could expand their little reading horizons.)
LOL, I would call romance "fluff", too. Some people read only that.

I was shocked to find that a woman I know reads that stuff--she seemed way too intelligent, until she pointed out that she edits books for a living, and the books she edits are UN-issue related, very heavy stuff, so she reads the fluff for mindless entertainment.

They sell, so for writers who can work in that genre, there's some money to be made.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:03 PM

44,408 posts, read 20,144,200 times
Quote:
This.

I do think they not only need to read but should read quite a bit. I used to frequent the Kindle forum, a place for readers, and would see the same chewed up grammar. I often wondered, "Aren't you all readers? Why do you not know how to write correctly?"

I found out that many of them did read but many of them were reading what I call, "fluff books". (A lot of them were reading romance novels. Not a knock on romance novels but perhaps one could expand their little reading horizons.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
LOL, I would call romance "fluff", too. Some people read only that.

I was shocked to find that a woman I know reads that stuff--she seemed way too intelligent, until she pointed out that she edits books for a living, and the books she edits are UN-issue related, very heavy stuff, so she reads the fluff for mindless entertainment.

They sell, so for writers who can work in that genre, there's some money to be made.
I feel the same as you two about most romance novels being fluff.

Mq, I, too, have a very intelligent, highly educated friend who reads romance novels for entertainment. I don't get it. To each his or her own, though!

Old 11-03-2011, 01:37 PM

284 posts, read 500,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ8 View Post
I feel the same as you two about most romance novels being fluff.

Mq, I, too, have a very intelligent, highly educated friend who reads romance novels for entertainment. I don't get it. To each his or her own, though!
I read urban fantasy for fun because I'm an English major and my brain is so full of literature it will explode if I don't find a release like the brain candy of urban fantasy. Then again, I like urban fantasy, it's fun. I used to like romance novels too, back in my teens and early twenties. I've been told that I'm a fairly intelligent person, and I like to think it's true... despite liking such books. :P

I know that my posts are not a great indication of my intelligence. Sometimes they're two steps away from gibberish. This *after* I've proofread them. Why? Because I take medication that screws with my cognition. I can't spell for anything either - it's part of a learning disorder I have (on top of my meds and other difficulties). If it weren't for spellcheck, I'd be lost. It's hard to write papers as a grad student, but I still pull it off.

I guess what I'm saying is, one shouldn't judge people on what they read or what they've written, especially online. People make mistakes. We're all human underneath, and sometimes we have reasons for making them. I'm not a stupid person (though you can't tell it by my posts). I *like* fluff novels - they are escapist fiction and serve their purpose. Liking them certainly does not detract from mine, or anyone else's intelligence.

Old 11-03-2011, 02:18 PM

30,390 posts, read 23,866,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post
I read urban fantasy for fun because I'm an English major and my brain is so full of literature it will explode if I don't find a release like the brain candy of urban fantasy. Then again, I like urban fantasy, it's fun. I used to like romance novels too, back in my teens and early twenties. I've been told that I'm a fairly intelligent person, and I like to think it's true... despite liking such books. :P

I know that my posts are not a great indication of my intelligence. Sometimes they're two steps away from gibberish. This *after* I've proofread them. Why? Because I take medication that screws with my cognition. I can't spell for anything either - it's part of a learning disorder I have (on top of my meds and other difficulties). If it weren't for spellcheck, I'd be lost. It's hard to write papers as a grad student, but I still pull it off.

I guess what I'm saying is, one shouldn't judge people on what they read or what they've written, especially online. People make mistakes. We're all human underneath, and sometimes we have reasons for making them. I'm not a stupid person (though you can't tell it by my posts). I *like* fluff novels - they are escapist fiction and serve their purpose. Liking them certainly does not detract from mine, or anyone else's intelligence.
My point wasn't to knock anyone who reads Romance novels, it was to point out that the answer, "read books" is not the full answer.

If you are educated, then you will know how to spell correctly and use proper grammar. If you missed those classes during your academic career, perhaps picking up something besides a Harlequin Romance would be beneficial.

I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys those types of books. I loved the Harry Potter series and I also love Sci-Fi and what they call "Fantasy". (I call it "magical" in my library heading because it usually entails sorcery, dragons, medieval knights, that kind of thing. I would call those, "fluff" books as well but I read more than that because I like to be a well rounded person. Well, as well rounded as I can get, anyway, and frankly, I did miss some of those classes. I make grammatical mistakes all the time. I think the point of this thread is talking about the errors that people SHOULD know better than to make. Repeatedly.)

Edit: And I just reminded myself of another one:

Using "then" when the person means, "than".

Other then that...

Noooooooooo

Other THAN that...

Old 11-03-2011, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wscottling View Post

Nice post, wscottling! When I re-read my own post, I was disappointed to find that it came across as snobbish. That wasn't my intention at all. Talk about poor writing skills!

I was just agreeing with a previous poster that poor spelling is no indication of one's intelligence and neither is the type of material one chooses to read. Heck, I like to read the funny papers and Mad magazine!

There's certainly nothing wrong with your writing, ws, and it sounds as though you have excelled despite some very difficult challenges. Way to go!

Old 11-03-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
If you are educated, then you will know how to spell correctly and use proper grammar.
Not necessarily ^. I am well-educated and have worked in the legal profession for about 30 years. I know many highly-educated people who can neither spell well nor write a proper sentence. That's where I come in. I do their writing for them. They come up with an outline or a rough draft and I prepare a polished final document.

Language skills come easily to some people and not so easily to others, and it often has little to do with intelligence or a willingness to study and learn.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
My point wasn't to knock anyone who reads Romance novels, it was to point out that the answer, "read books" is not the full answer.

If you are educated, then you will know how to spell correctly and use proper grammar. If you missed those classes during your academic career, perhaps picking up something besides a Harlequin Romance would be beneficial.

I'm not knocking anyone who enjoys those types of books. I loved the Harry Potter series and I also love Sci-Fi and what they call "Fantasy". (I call it "magical" in my library heading because it usually entails sorcery, dragons, medieval knights, that kind of thing. I would call those, "fluff" books as well but I read more than that because I like to be a well rounded person. Well, as well rounded as I can get, anyway, and frankly, I did miss some of those classes. I make grammatical mistakes all the time. I think the point of this thread is talking about the errors that people SHOULD know better than to make. Repeatedly.)

Edit: And I just reminded myself of another one:

Using "then" when the person means, "than".

Other then that...

Noooooooooo

Other THAN that...
No, it wasn't, and I diverted off into that realm.

Old 11-03-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Not necessarily ^. I am well-educated and have worked in the legal profession for about 30 years. I know many highly-educated people who can neither spell well nor write a proper sentence. That's where I come in. I do their writing for them. They come up with an outline or a rough draft and I prepare a polished final document.

Language skills come easily to some people and not so easily to others, and it often has little to do with intelligence or a willingness to study and learn.
I work with engineers, and many of them are terrible writers and bad spellers. That worked for me in my career over the years, as it did for you in the legal profession!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:47 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,594,132 times
Quote:

Could not agree more, while I think it is VERY easy to spell well and write good, alot of peple don't.

My BFF, as they say these days, is the smartest guy I know. In high school he had straight A's in math and science, but was flunking English. He finally passed, took 2.5 years to flunk out of college, enrolled in a computer school and graduated top of his class. Got an email from him last week, "Lifted too much wait, ripped a bicept". Gotta love it.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:12 PM

214 posts, read 963,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Is that a card where you list "your invited" friends? It seems fine to me.

It's the for, when, rsvp, etc that don't make sense to me

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing