Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 AM

366 posts, read 775,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
....In case anyone was looking for a sign indicating the imminent collapse of our civilization, I believe that was it.
We have to give some credit to this guy for getting the apocalypse rolling.

Jerry Springer Show - Grandma and Grandson - YouTube

Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xiansheng_g View Post
We have to give some credit to this guy for getting the apocalypse rolling.

Jerry Springer Show - Grandma and Grandson - YouTube
I find it hard to believe that this person was actually elected to be the mayor of Cincinnati, Ohio. This one and Maury Povich have made a fortune pandering to the lowest common denominator. Makes me embarrassed for the human race.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:39 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Originally Posted by Copanut
Stopping at your typical gas station/convenience today there was a sign taped to the broken ATM:

Not working, sorry for any incovience.

From there stopped at a local bar where the special was: Lasaunya

You can't make this stuff up.

Quote:
There is SO much stupidity these days (yeah, I know, I sound old
).

I don't think it's stupidity, MightyQueen, but rather a lack of quality education. In a country where seventy-five percent of high school graduates are 'Functionally illiterate' one can hardly expect more. All the more reason for quality home schooling, no?

Love,

Mahrie.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:11 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Originally Posted by Copanut
Stopping at your typical gas station/convenience today there was a sign taped to the broken ATM:

Not working, sorry for any incovience.

From there stopped at a local bar where the special was: Lasaunya

You can't make this stuff up.
).

I don't think it's stupidity, MightyQueen, but rather a lack of quality education. In a country where seventy-five percent of high school graduates are 'Functionally illiterate' one can hardly expect more. All the more reason for quality home schooling, no?

Love,

Mahrie.
Not necessarily. It's often just laziness on the part of the parents or the students or both. My daughter went to public school and she knows how to read and write properly. And home schooling is only going to be as good as what the parent and kids put into it, too.

Sometimes stupidity is simply a choice. If one does not make their education a priority over all the shiny trinkets, they are going to fall behind.

Old 12-03-2011, 11:21 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,485,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not necessarily. It's often just laziness on the part of the parents or the students or both. My daughter went to public school and she knows how to read and write properly. And home schooling is only going to be as good as what the parent and kids put into it, too.

Sometimes stupidity is simply a choice. If one does not make their education a priority over all the shiny trinkets, they are going to fall behind.
Evening, MightyQueen!

I agree that we cannot rule out laziness, but stupidity is rare unless we are using the word to mean carelessness, or perhaps to refer to those exercising poor judgment. It seems unlikely to me that fully seventy-five percent of high school graduates would choose to be functionally illiterate.

The remaining twenty-five percent who find public education useful, generally have good parents, in my experience. Your daughter is blessed to have an obviously articulate and caring mother and I'm glad that her public education yielded good results.

My husband and I have several children, and we home educated them all, and we were and are delighted with the results. (They're all married now and most have children of their own.)

With the plethora of opportunities available today, there is simply no excuse for illiteracy anywhere in the world. I favor home schooling - preferably 'Unschooling' - as children have far less exposure to the value system(s) of the world than they have when sent to publicly funded institutions when they are barely out of diapers.

Some of my children pursued higher education at good universities, but by that time their moral and ethical values were well established, and they were ready to meet the 'world' as young adults.

I don't believe that there is only one way to do anything, Mighty Queen, but I don't think too many would disagree that public education, as a rule, has been an unsuccessful modern-day experiment. JMHO YMMV.

Love - Mahrie.
P.S. I have to sign off now, so if you respond to this post, I won't be able to reply until tomorrow - God Willing.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:04 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Evening, MightyQueen!

I agree that we cannot rule out laziness, but stupidity is rare unless we are using the word to mean carelessness, or perhaps to refer to those exercising poor judgment. It seems unlikely to me that fully seventy-five percent of high school graduates would choose to be functionally illiterate.

The remaining twenty-five percent who find public education useful, generally have good parents, in my experience. Your daughter is blessed to have an obviously articulate and caring mother and I'm glad that her public education yielded good results.

My husband and I have several children, and we home educated them all, and we were and are delighted with the results. (They're all married now and most have children of their own.)

With the plethora of opportunities available today, there is simply no excuse for illiteracy anywhere in the world. I favor home schooling - preferably 'Unschooling' - as children have far less exposure to the value system(s) of the world than they have when sent to publicly funded institutions when they are barely out of diapers.

Some of my children pursued higher education at good universities, but by that time their moral and ethical values were well established, and they were ready to meet the 'world' as young adults.

I don't believe that there is only one way to do anything, Mighty Queen, but I don't think too many would disagree that public education, as a rule, has been an unsuccessful modern-day experiment. JMHO YMMV.

Love - Mahrie.
P.S. I have to sign off now, so if you respond to this post, I won't be able to reply until tomorrow - God Willing.
Yes, I mean stupidity as in not caring about learning. I am not referring to people who are genuinely learning-disabled in some way. They may not be consciously choosing to be functionally illiterate, but their lack of interest puts them in the same place.

I don't agree that public education has been an unsuccessful modern-day experiment. I would not want to see a return to the early days of this country when a basic education was denied to all but the wealthy. Education can mean freedom, and denial of education can mean manipulation by those in power. Morality and ethics has little to do with public education but with parenting. And like public education, home-schooling can be valuable but will only be as good as the educators.

I introduced my daughter to several subjects outside of the school curriculum simply because they were areas of my own interest. Some she liked, some, alas, she didn't care for. (I can't always find people enthuiastic about 19th-century NJ history, lol.)

You never know as a parent what influence you will have on their education, either. Eighteen months ago, when my daughter indicated she wanted to transfer colleges and did not want to study medicine after all, but rather languages, I said, "If you are going to study languages, choose a non-Western-European language (she already spoke Spanish almost fluently) because you will have a better chance at getting a job..."

I just finished Skyping with my daughter in Chengdu about 20 minutes ago. Sadly, there are still many illiterate people in that country who cannot read or write characters and have no access to education at all. This is mostly in the rural areas away from the city, but some such people are in the Chengdu and run little restaurants, etc. Many of them cannot even speak Mandarin, the official language of China and the language in which education is provided.

Old 12-05-2011, 09:43 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Seen in the past few days: "suttle" and "gormey."

Old 12-05-2011, 01:34 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times
Well, this one gave me pause - plutera - until the poster nicely gave his definition (alot/many) at which point I realized he meant plethora. <sigh>

Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Well, this one gave me pause - plutera - until the poster nicely gave his definition (alot/many) at which point I realized he meant plethora. <sigh>
Alot gets a lot of people, too.

Last edited by PanTerra; 12-05-2011 at 02:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 02:57 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I saw a poster for a college (colleges used to be institutions of higher learning once upon a time, didn't they?) that contained the line U may B eligible for financial aid $.

In case anyone was looking for a sign indicating the imminent collapse of our civilization, I believe that was it.
Oh my goodness! I think you're right, Fred. The end is near.

At least the words which are written out are spelled correctly.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing