Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times

Advertisements

Long story short. Back in my younger days I spent time with a lady who quite frankly was out of control with drugs and you name it. Really bright and educated woman, when she finally sobered up and got her life back on track she sent me a letter and stated how she had cleaned up her "sorted" life. I know, why nit pick on something like that, can't help it.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:20 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Just read in a blog article:
(my daughter) laughed historically.
Wow.
Bwahahaha! This one really cracked me up!

I love this thread.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:29 AM

44,355 posts, read 20,063,008 times
Oh my goodness. I just about spit my coffee out a moment ago when I read this post: "Deep dish pizza must be an afrodisiac."

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 02-24-2012 at 12:14 PM..

Old 02-25-2012, 06:02 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
"You know how California gets it's bad wrap?"

Old 02-26-2012, 05:03 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,580 times
This is a truly great thread, and congratulations for making it last so long. I haven't even read the whole thing yet, but a few comments, after my own diatribe:

My biggest beef today is capitalization. People seem to be capitalizing nouns a lot on the web, as if English was German. Not just proper nouns, but words like Mother and Travel and Strawberry and Chocolate. E.g., "I went to the Department Store to buy a Dress and stopped to buy a Hamburger before I went Home".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I think that "creme" belongs on the list, too. I, personally, am not the least bit interested in snacking on "creme-filled" cookies.
As someone else said, "creme" is a perfectly good French word, and that's how it's used in such phrases as "creme brulee" and "creme caramel" (although correctly in French, crème brûlée and caramel.)

Quote:
...(If I see "fresh" in quotation marks, I am definitely not buying any of those vegetables!)
Quote:
I maintain that the worst things of all are quotation marks, which are supposed to connote that something isn't right...not be inserted in advertising for emphasis.
I hate this too, and I see it all the time. What's wrong with bold or italics for emphasis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Or people who send out printed Christmas--or any--cards signed "The Smiths." (You'd think the company that printed the cards might bring that to their attention.)
This is a tough one, and somewhat pedantic I think. The rules with apostrophes with plurals get pretty twisted and complex.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:20 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
The most recent examples of an inability to spell I've run across in various threads include "dignaty," and "definatly." There must be something about the letter 'i' that these people find offensive. (Or, I should probably put that more appropriately, "offensave.")
Just for you!

D-E-F-I-N-I-T-E-L-Y

My daughter bookmarked that for me becasue she got tired of seeing me spell it wrong all the time. I still spell it wrong most of the time.

I know better but my fingers apparently don't.

becuase
teh
yoi

Old 02-27-2012, 01:04 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
"You know how California gets it's bad wrap?"
That just made me wonder and search online if there was a typical sandwich wrap that'd be called a California wrap -- and then think "Some people must really not like it."

Old 02-27-2012, 01:07 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,016,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Yesterday, on another forum, I saw "To Air is Human."
That one made me think of the expression "To air out your dirty laundry" and wonder if something was thinking of that as a typical human thing to do.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post

My biggest beef today is capitalization. People seem to be capitalizing nouns a lot on the web, as if English was German.
It's not a foreign practice, it's just archaic. Nouns are all capitalized in the US Constitution.

I don't have a problem with capitalizing a word if you want, in your context, to raise it to a special level deserving of proper noun status. Like "What my father said was the Law". Or, "Remember that Pride is one of the Deadly Sins", to assign a status above simple generic attributes. In fact, in your post, I might have capitalized 'capitalization'---a thing that I am naming, not merely referencing inter alia.

(You meant as if English were German, right?

Last edited by jtur88; 02-27-2012 at 04:28 PM..

Old 02-27-2012, 04:49 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwanderer View Post
People seem to be capitalizing nouns a lot on the web, as if English was German.
...as if English were German.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing