Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 01:16 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,543,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Did you avoid this situation in your published work or did your publishers fix it, or did it somehow get past the proof-readers? Indeed, when convention causes an ambiguity, it can be reworded.
Maybe all three. I really can't remember since the book was published in the early 90's and I have not read it since the first time I received my copies.
I am actually a co-writer. I so want to write the book over again because my writing has vastly improved. However, my co-writer doesn't like the idea much. So, the book is out there, but hard to find because we only had one printing.

I can die happy just knowing I had one book published.

I am more a poet than a prose writer. I enjoy writing poetry more because then I don't have to worry so much about punctuation. Most of my poetry is written without any punctuation; then there are many that contain so much punctuation that people have commented on that.

I hope you don't think I'm bothered by any of this discussion. I have learned a LOT in this one thread; that is why I keep coming back for more.
I already knew about the punctuation and quote rule. It's not 'my way or the highway'. You are free to put the period inside the quote and I promise you I won't get mad at all.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:35 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,843,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
Maybe all three. I really can't remember since the book was published in the early 90's and I have not read it since the first time I received my copies.
I am actually a co-writer. I so want to write the book over again because my writing has vastly improved. However, my co-writer doesn't like the idea much. So, the book is out there, but hard to find because we only had one printing.

I can die happy just knowing I had one book published.

I am more a poet than a prose writer. I enjoy writing poetry more because then I don't have to worry so much about punctuation. Most of my poetry is written without any punctuation; then there are many that contain so much punctuation that people have commented on that.

I hope you don't think I'm bothered by any of this discussion. I have learned a LOT in this one thread; that is why I keep coming back for more.
I already knew about the punctuation and quote rule. It's not 'my way or the highway'. You are free to put the period inside the quote and I promise you I won't get mad at all.
Well, that's mighty fine of you. I wouldn't think you would, since there would be no reason. Please note that I don't really have a dog in this hunt, and was merely responding to how much of a "stickler" we should be regarding formal vs. informal usage in this specific thread. Congratulations on getting published, that's great!

Old 03-02-2012, 08:51 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,580,383 times
I took a class recently on the Greening of America. Not to be judgemental, but they said the time Thomas Edison's invention of the light bulb has PAST.

Ya know, if you want to dump on someone, at least get it write.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copanut View Post
I took a class recently on the Greening of America. Not to be judgemental, but they said the time Thomas Edison's invention of the light bulb has PAST.

Ya know, if you want to dump on someone, at least get it write.
No one should have mist that.

Last edited by PanTerra; 03-02-2012 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM

44,392 posts, read 20,120,186 times
Quote:
If we are going to be such sticklers for formal grammar, punctuation, and general writing style in this thread, if only for self-respect, we probably ought to make sure to put the period inside the quote.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:44 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,654,036 times
I don't think it's quite as big a deal whether you put the period inside or outside of the quotation marks...if the sentence is shot full of spelling errors anyway.

Old 03-02-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I don't think it's quite as big a deal whether you put the period inside or outside of the quotation marks...if the sentence is shot full of spelling errors anyway.
Bingo!!

Old 03-02-2012, 11:57 AM

12,526 posts, read 17,580,383 times
"what the hell do ewe no.."""

Old 03-06-2012, 12:37 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,543,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
U r sew write.

Quote:
Well, that's mighty fine of you. I wouldn't think you would, since there would be no reason. Please note that I don't really have a dog in this hunt, and was merely responding to how much of a "stickler" we should be regarding formal vs. informal usage in this specific thread. Congratulations on getting published, that's great!
I was just having a little fun myself. I find all manners of English problems online. I just shake my head a lot these days.

Thanks.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:34 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,654,036 times
You know what we need in this country, don't you? A Constitutional amendment making spelling errors illegal. That's the way we do things; something isn't working right, make a law!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.