Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM

1,100 posts, read 737,382 times

Advertisements

"Happy Shinny Sunny peeps." In the same forum, someone has as their status: "Sun is finally shinning." Are they related, or is this just a happy coinkydink?

Old 01-21-2013, 05:29 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Butternuts View Post
"Happy Shinny Sunny peeps." In the same forum, someone has as their status: "Sun is finally shinning." Are they related, or is this just a happy coinkydink?
My ex-husband wrote like this. He once had a shopping list that included "papper plats". Were these people just not paying attention on the day they taught the basic rule about single and double consonants and the "e" after a single consonant making a vowel long?

My ex went to first grade twice. You'd think he'd have picked something up!

Old 01-21-2013, 05:34 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,539,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My ex-husband wrote like this. He once had a shopping list that included "papper plats". Were these people just not paying attention on the day they taught the basic rule about single and double consonants and the "e" after a single consonant making a vowel long?

Ah, first grade, best 2 years of my life!

Sorry, old joke.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 AM

19,116 posts, read 25,313,763 times
On a website that features photos of bad tattoos, one of the more recent examples displays the following words:

"Dambed if I do Dambed if I don't"

If you want to see for yourself, here is a link to the page that currently shows the above-noted tattoo:
WTF Tattoos - Bad tattoos - Part 3

Since new photos are posted frequently, what is now on page 3 will soon move to a higher-numbered page, so you may need to take a look at several pages in order to see it. However, in the process of browsing, you will see many other examples of the semi-permanent damage that people have done to both their bodies and the English language.

Why?

Old 01-21-2013, 09:20 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I once had a boss who put up a hand-scrawled memo, saying "Don't every, every, every do this again!"

Old 01-21-2013, 12:46 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,872 times
Been doing some Craigslist browsing recently.

Sigh.

Common spelling errors such as "dinning" tables..."swade"...but my (least)favorite was someone who had "chester drawers"...

Wonder if poor Chester will ever get his britches back?

Saw on this website today "self asteam". I expect the speller's is sky high as it would only be mean and demeaning to point that out to him/her and we certainly don't want to cause anyone to ever never ever feel uncomfortable about any failure on their part to hit the mark.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:06 PM

5,863 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Been doing some Craigslist browsing recently.

Sigh.

Common spelling errors such as "dinning" tables..."swade"...but my (least)favorite was someone who had "chester drawers"...

Wonder if poor Chester will ever get his britches back?

Saw on this website today "self asteam". I expect the speller's is sky high as it would only be mean and demeaning to point that out to him/her and we certainly don't want to cause anyone to ever never ever feel uncomfortable about any failure on their part to hit the mark.
I see this on craigslist a lot! I cannot figure out why someone would NOT think it was a "chest of drawers". It makes me cringe when I see it!

Old 01-21-2013, 01:39 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,814,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I see this on craigslist a lot! I cannot figure out why someone would NOT think it was a "chest of drawers". It makes me cringe when I see it!
I knew a Cherster Drawers.

Old 01-21-2013, 01:41 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,782,723 times
In the Style section of our (major) newspaper yesterday, describing Michelle Obama's clothing style, with a very large accompanying photograph, "She bears her trim, toned arms in her inauguration gown in 2008."
Must've let all the copy editors go...

Old 01-21-2013, 08:00 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,777,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
In the Style section of our (major) newspaper yesterday, describing Michelle Obama's clothing style, with a very large accompanying photograph, "She bears her trim, toned arms in her inauguration gown in 2008."
Must've let all the copy editors go...
Either that or they feel she has some sort of self-esteem problem... perhaps she would prefer them to not be trim or toned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing