Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2014, 11:19 AM

19,144 posts, read 25,360,326 times

Advertisements

From the Car Talk website:

"To me Toyoto products seem to be designed in a straightforward manor & are relatively easy to work on."

I know that car designs normally originate in design studios, but apparently this "Toyoto" brand is designed in a much grander environment!

Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM

1,379 posts, read 1,547,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
From the NJ Forum, another commentary on education:

"If the teacher done that to me and my parents heard about this. They would have me grounded for sure and apologize to the teacher for my miss behave."

So...apparently his teacher's name was Miss Behave?
I think that Miss Behave should have been fired for not teaching him about grammar, spelling, and sentence construction.

I started to try to explain this before, and gave up, but I'll post it now and hope you know what I'm saying:

I knew someone who would ask "Are you being have?", but with the "have" rhyming with "wave". I'll spell this non-word as "haive".

At first when she asked, "Are you being haive", I thought she was being funny. But her face was serious and I knew her well enough that I could tell she meant it, and I had a hard time not cracking up right in front of her. I figured out that she understood the word "behave" as "be haive", with "haive" meaning "good". That was about 18 years ago and I still LOL sometimes when I think about it.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:30 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,657,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodstockSchool1980 View Post
I started to try to explain this before, and gave up, but I'll post it now and hope you know what I'm saying:

I knew someone who would ask "Are you being have?", but with the "have" rhyming with "wave". I'll spell this non-word as "haive".

At first when she asked, "Are you being haive", I thought she was being funny. But her face was serious and I knew her well enough that I could tell she meant it, and I had a hard time not cracking up right in front of her. I figured out that she understood the word "behave" as "be haive", with "haive" meaning "good". That was about 18 years ago and I still LOL sometimes when I think about it.
That's a good one. It actually makes sense, in a way.

If you're a kid and your mom keeps saying "behave!" when you're acting up, you could conclude that 'have' means 'good', as in "be good!".

So many people just don't read anymore; it's a shame. Reading is one of my passions!

(ever since I could read the Dick and Jane books, LOL)

Old 06-06-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
That's a good one. It actually makes sense, in a way.

If you're a kid and your mom keeps saying "behave!" when you're acting up, you could conclude that 'have' means 'good', as in "be good!".

So many people just don't read anymore; it's a shame. Reading is one of my passions!

(ever since I could read the Dick and Jane books, LOL)
My first reading addiction was Hardy Boys.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:51 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,451,918 times
Quote:
My first reading addiction was Hardy Boys.
Mine was Nancy Drew.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:18 PM

88,647 posts, read 84,911,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Now, that's interesting. If Voilà! is originally French, you would think that ever since the language (English) became Anglo-Saxon (back in 1066 CE or so), it would be unnecessary to further adapt any words in French.

And why would the former colonies take it upon themselves to tinker with the mother language? Food for thought.
Ah but the French continued to enter. Did you know that the words "etiquette" and "ticket" came from the same French word but entered the English language centuries apart?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 PM

And "politics" is in the same basket as "polite". Does that make any sense?

Old 06-06-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
And "politics" is in the same basket as "polite". Does that make any sense?
No, but it's rather amusing!

Old 06-07-2014, 07:00 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,221,439 times
Stay tuned. I might have hit a gold mine.
So far.
"The Community is growing tired of the Heroine flowing in the streets... " ( A good visualization , this one)

"Those that "Stereo-Type" this issue to all...." (Computer with the twin speakers on?)

" think ill have to woop out my baking pans and flower show ya some stuffs.,."

Old 06-07-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Stay tuned. I might have hit a gold mine.
So far.
"The Community is growing tired of the Heroine flowing in the streets... " ( A good visualization , this one)

"Those that "Stereo-Type" this issue to all...." (Computer with the twin speakers on?)

" think ill have to woop out my baking pans and flower show ya some stuffs.,."
Please give the poor woman a tampon!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing