Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 10:48 AM

8,047 posts, read 10,640,313 times

Advertisements

Heard this from the lady in front of me in the check out line, and hear it constantly when ringing people up in my own retail job: "Every little bit helps!" Please people, come up with something new!

How about all the cliques on this city data forum? Some of the ones I'm so tired of are:

"I'm LOOKING to move to (insert place here)". Terrible English. You're thinking of moving, you're considering moving. People only use this because they see all these other people using it.

"I'm looking for a WALKABLE town..." Really, how many "walkable" towns are there in this day and age?

"Where's the best PIZZA in (insert place here)" Now, if you're moving somewhere like New York or Chicago, where pizza is known for it's greatness, I can see asking this question. But not if you're moving to some obscure little town in Arkansas or something. Is this really an important relocation factor or something?

The South has a "slower pace of life..." No it doesn't, I live here. It's still the year 2010 just like it is everywhere else, with the same ills of society present here, just less of it in smaller towns perhaps. Isn't it up to you how slow or fast paced your daily life is? I know what people mean, but how about a little originality.

O.K., that's it for now. I know I feel better getting that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 04:13 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,546,283 times
I'm tired of hearing "Whatever floats your boat" or "Whatever blows your skirt up". Those two phrases are annoying to me. Just the word "Whatever" makes me cringe.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:42 PM

Forgot one.

"Ya think?" Hate that.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,376,150 times
"Piggy back onto..."

Old 01-17-2010, 10:19 PM

9,930 posts, read 13,927,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Heard this from the lady in front of me in the check out line, and hear it constantly when ringing people up in my own retail job: "Every little bit helps!" Please people, come up with something new!

How about all the cliques on this city data forum? Some of the ones I'm so tired of are:

"I'm LOOKING to move to (insert place here)". Terrible English. You're thinking of moving, you're considering moving. People only use this because they see all these other people using it.

"I'm looking for a WALKABLE town..." Really, how many "walkable" towns are there in this day and age?

"Where's the best PIZZA in (insert place here)" Now, if you're moving somewhere like New York or Chicago, where pizza is known for it's greatness, I can see asking this question. But not if you're moving to some obscure little town in Arkansas or something. Is this really an important relocation factor or something?

The South has a "slower pace of life..." No it doesn't, I live here. It's still the year 2010 just like it is everywhere else, with the same ills of society present here, just less of it in smaller towns perhaps. Isn't it up to you how slow or fast paced your daily life is? I know what people mean, but how about a little originality.

O.K., that's it for now. I know I feel better getting that out.

Some of this reminds me of how they all say my city is "Bike Friendly." Bike Friendly? Are you kidding??? That's got to be one of the wackiest things I've ever heard. If you saw the roads and the extreme ways people drive here, you would agree wholeheartedly.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:23 AM

2,250 posts, read 1,396,164 times
That's what she said.....

Really? Really!? That is what she said? Where is this woman? When did she say it? Who is 'she', and why does 'she' seem like a huge *****?

Cannot stand this phrase.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,610,917 times
What goes around, comes around.

I haven't decided yet, but I think this one may be just as idiotic as...

It is what it is.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:51 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,828,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
What goes around, comes around.
I happen to love this cliche. It's so accurate and it describes what it means perfectly (as opposed to "it is what it is.")

Old 01-18-2010, 07:30 AM

Saucywench,

I lived in Missoula, Montana for a few years and it was know for it's "bike friendliness" because there were bike routes all over town. Problem is, the place had become so over-congested in recent years with traffic, along with that was an average of at least one biker fatality a week. I'm not kidding, almost every night on the news there was a report of someone riding a bike that was hit and seriously injured or killed. That's not very "friendly".

Old 01-18-2010, 03:21 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,565,415 times
"What she/he said" (meaning x2)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing