Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:01 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
3) What are the school systems like? I am a teacher so am curious what it is like to work for them. I am single now but if I do have a family, are they good schools for kids? What are the students like in general? I am interested in points of view from former students, parents, and current and former staff and faculty.
Coming from a CA school system, I am surprised at how far advanced the school system is, at least here in Cody. My son loves the school, teachers, and other students. Each student gets their own laptop for school work, and the grades are posted online for the parents to see in real time. As a parent I love it. The kids overall seem pretty good. I'm sure there are going to be a few problems no matter where you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
Wyoming Girl, thank-you very much for the advice. I finally got a chance to visit Powell just before Christmas. I only got to drive through it a bit, but I'm not so sure about that town. I'm sure there are wonderful, down to earth people and to those of you from Powell, please do not think I am bashing your town, I am certainly not. I just don't get a "home" vibe from it. I have decided to narrow it down to Cody or Sheridan. Now I just need to see if either one of those towns will have a job in my line of work.
I know what you mean about Powell. Seems to be more of a farming/commercial community. Not so "down home" feeling. Can't speak for Sheridan, since I have never been there. Also Cody tends to be warmer it seems than some other places in WY. What I have experienced so far this winter is that the temps can be as much as 20 degrees warmer in Cody than in some other areas of WY. Wind can be an issue in Cody, depending on where you live. When I lived on Southfork you can bet the wind would blow everyday. I now live off of Belfry Hwy just north of 2AB and the wind hardly blows at all here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
The schools systems in Wyoming are at least a decade ahead of Montana. Kids really do get a quality education most places in this state. Now I just wait and see if a job opens up in either of these towns.

Old 06-08-2011, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,329 times
Smile Best towns?????

Well i don't have any kind of a direct answer, but i can tell you this; i was born in tensleep and have lived in powell, cody, sheridan, buffalo, worland, and vocation. It has always been my self serving oath that i would never have anything on my license plate except a bucking horse. However, time and other things have forced me to move to other states. Now that i am retired, i am looking to see if it is possible to move back to cody. I have so many ties to northern wyoming, it is impossible to list them all. But just a couple...my maternal grand father was hoist man on the dam at cody and was there to pour the last bucket of cement for its' construction. My mother, her two sisters and one brother lived where the two rivers came together at marquette.
My paternal grandfather and family moved to wyoming from west virginia. Grandpa owned a store in shell, wyoming and otto, wyoming. He also had a farm granted under the u.s. Homestead act at garland, wyoming.
You can see that my roots are planted deep in northern wyoming.
My suggestion is to move to wyoming in any town you choose, but be prepared to work at more than one occupation. To live there, you have to work the seasons. I cooked in almost all the old resturants in cody and in the summer i herded dudes.
Good luck

Old 06-08-2011, 08:18 PM

I have lived in Cody for a year now and I will give you my general observations having come from a large population base in Southern CA.

I do not miss CA in any way shape or form. Out here you can leave your car unlocked with the keys in it and not worry about it. The people seem to be real nice and not "red neck" at all like some people might think. Cody is now starting to get busy with tourist traffic again, which is the only reason I will start locking my car.

Winter weather is tough, especially when it starts getting below zero, but it just makes you appreciate the nice weather days more. The wind blows a lot in Cody.

I work for the railroad in Greybull so I am out in it 365 days a year. It's not hard to dress warm really. I'm a Southern CA native and I was able to handle it so that's gotta say something

Old 06-14-2011, 11:28 AM

324 posts, read 714,626 times
I lived in Cody, Powell and farmed in Worland back in the 80's, before it became really popular with the Cali's and Tejans. Too much wind for us. I much preferred floating Bighorn when I could, just to escape. Ranchester and Dayton are pretty enough and the winters there aren't too severe.

Last edited by Hawknest; 06-14-2011 at 12:39 PM..

Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 AM

70 posts, read 267,586 times
The Calis and Tejans have given Cody that yuppie/hippie feel. High priceses and too much mediocre art galleries. The small businesses have been wiped out because of these people. Heres a good source for the real facts of Cody. www.codysbc.com

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-06-2012 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Fixed the link

Old 01-06-2012, 09:52 AM

774 posts, read 2,583,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
The Calis and Tejans have given Cody that yuppie/hippie feel. High priceses and too much mediocre art galleries. The small businesses have been wiped out because of these people. Heres a good source for the real facts of Cody. www,codysbc.com
Where have the small businesses been wiped out? With the exception of fast food, Kmart and Walmart, they're all small businesses. Certainly, some small businesses have closed. And some have opened. Small businesses has always had a high failure rate; it's the nature of the beast. Small business restaurants have the highest failure rate of all business types. As far as your source, I have a hard time taking seriously a publication which has such a loose grasp on English grammar and punctuation as well as, well, facts.

Last edited by tigergal; 01-06-2012 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: weird typos

Old 01-06-2012, 10:26 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyQuest View Post
The Calis and Tejans have given Cody that yuppie/hippie feel. High priceses and too much mediocre art galleries. The small businesses have been wiped out because of these people. Heres a good source for the real facts of Cody. Cody Small Business Community - WYO News net
Just my opinion, but anytime I read a paper or any kind of source where the editor or writer resorts to name calling, that paper or source just proved itself to be rock bottom. That's not a news source, it's a vent by somebody that is not real articulate with the English language. Personally, because of that, I wouldn't believe anything printed by them.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM

I take exception to blaming Californians. I moved here from CA and didn't bring anything but a U-Haul truck full of horse corral panels, what little furniture I had, and a beat up Dodge truck towing my 66 CJ5. Now how is that giving Cody that Yuppie/Hippie feel?
I came here to work and survive because after living in CA for 46 years it finally broke me.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:47 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergal View Post
... As far as your source, I have a hard time taking seriously a publication which has such a loose grasp on English grammar and punctuation as well as, well, facts.
Ditto!

Not too impressive, not too believable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming