Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 AM

278 posts, read 606,338 times

Advertisements

This is what I could find out about this building

509 Broadway (Our Own Hardware) - CONTRIBUTING

Constructed in 1917, this was the first of several in the Thermopolis historic district constructed by Charles Smith, a local bricklayer. The first floor was the post office from1917-1925 and the second floor served as county courtroom in 1937-39. This area was also used for community dances in the 1920's and 1930's. It is a twostory structure with a variety of decorative brickwork. There is a flat diamond brick pattern of colored brick which appears to be "woven" into the parapet and set apart by a brick "frame." Lentils above the second story windows are set off by stone diamonds and squares. There is also a stone frieze with brick patterns between the parapet windows. The first floor has a modern sign and windows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 10:58 AM

157 posts, read 329,741 times
Thanks poletop

Old 12-23-2011, 01:27 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
I found this in a google search Thermopolis, Wyoming: Broadway Street businesses

Quote:
The swastika, as it is used on the facade of the above (Four-Winds) building, has nothing to do with the Nazi Party. For a history of this symbol, click here.
Painted Bricks: One you definately do not see anymore, brickwork, Thermopolis Wyoming

Quote:
This is not as sinister as it might seem. Swastikas showed up as ornamental designs in quite a few things prior to World War Two, and they bore no association at all with the Nazi Party. In the west, they were associated with Indians, and were regarded as an Indian good luck symbol. Chances are that the architect of this Thermopolis, Wyoming building had that in mind, as Thermopolis is not far from the Wind River Reservation.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:27 AM

12 posts, read 54,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zembonez View Post
The swastika has been used in many cultures for centuries. It was simply adopted as a symbol by the Nazi Party.
True, but nevertheless it will carry that sinister association for a long time to come.

Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM

3,649 posts, read 3,786,423 times
It's original intent was as the commonly used symbol for luck if you'll notice that many are right-facing. Someone just got a little creative with the pattern. They probably didn't check the internet before construction!

Old 04-07-2013, 11:20 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,832,860 times
I forget the exact reason of the swastika, but I have seen them all over this state and in others. Here if memory is correct, mostly on chimneys is where I have noticed it in, Crowley if I remember. I know they are in Riverton, Casper, Rawlings, Powell, Cheyenne as these were pointed out many years ago to me in those cities. Again my memory says on the chimneys of houses. The most recent I noticed was the area of my mothers neighborhood in Pampa, Texas.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,533 times
Default From the mayor

As the building was constructed long before the formation of the nazi party, it is save to assume the historical symbolism associated with the building and the swastika symbols of good luck. While there has been discussion about removal of the symbols, concern has always returned to the historical significance of the building and a time when that symbol was not associated with the evil man and ideology that absconded it. The building is privately owned, and as a democratic government, at least in Thermopolis, we will not dictate to them what should be done, if anything.

Personally, if I were the owner in the 1940s, I might have considered something, or in the 50s when we knew even more details of the atrocities and the building wasn't as old. But I wasn't born yet, so I don't know squat about what they were facing then.

I could get political and talk about AntiFa and how we would defend our citizens, or they could buy the building and peacefully remove the symbols and then please move. But I won't. (I'm a politician so of course I had to lie at the end.)

Old 09-08-2017, 12:14 PM

5,461 posts, read 3,236,703 times
The swastikas on that building (which I have personally been to) are likely a tip of the hat to the local Native Americans. The NA's used it as a good luck symbol for centuries, long before Hitler and his band of retarded killers.

Old 09-08-2017, 12:15 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
As Henry Standing Bear would say, "It is what it is."

Old 09-08-2017, 03:11 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,896 times
I would'nt worry about it until someone (or a 'bunch' of someone's) start coming at me with guns and or bladed weapons...

...and then THEY will be worrying about whether or not they're making a mistake, coming at me.

Well-trained reflexes die hard, as do those who test them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming