Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 04:42 PM

138 posts, read 468,504 times

Advertisements

Just a thought for you guys who are now in Florida- regarding the property taxes- Florida has Homestead taxes- so you are not taxed for the first $25,000 ofyour home. At least this was true when I lived there, but I have been gone since 1995, so maybe that isn't true anymore. Florida was much less expensive for me to live than here in WY-and the jobs in Florida were better paying (at least as a registered nurse). Right now I winter in Texas- have a small condo in San Antonio, and that is MUCH less expensive place to live than WY. But the crime is awful!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 08:49 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,619 times
Default Texas/Florida/Wyoming

I have talked to several friends recently that live in Texas and Florida. They have all said that housing is much cheaper there than in WY. With the energy boom here housing prices are way up, also, we are getting such an influx of people who want to live in WY - or think they want the WY lifestyle that the prices have gone up even in non-energy boom areas.

Old 09-21-2006, 05:10 AM

2,909 posts, read 14,084,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MHT View Post
You're right. People expect land and housing to be cheap here. It's not. There are places (small towns) where housing is not as expensive but in towns where the energy boom is happening housing in incredibly expensive. Laramie is a great town but it is also very pricey now.

Guess ill have to cross living in WY off my list. Nice vacation place in the summer(and probably spring too) for viewing and hiking all those wonderful mountains! The energy boom created all those new jobs so people wanna move there for the job, I presume? Among other lesser reasons

Old 09-21-2006, 12:21 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
Been in the eastern side of Wyoming a number of times. You need to remember that Wyoming is a "slow paced" lifestyle State, very agricultural with lots of ranch land, horses, cowboys/cowgirls, rodeos and definitely winter weather.
If you want the "big city" feeling........not Wyoming, period.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:15 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
I've never been to Wyoming, but have heard that it's gorgeous and that it's friendly, dynamic, windy, and of course winters can be among the coldest in the country. My only thought about moving or living there is an irrational fear of Yellowstone Park. I remember a couple of years ago finding out that Yellowstone is actually a Supervolcano and no one knew it until satellites were able to establish that the caldera of the Volcano is actually most of the park!!! And, that there'd been three super eruptions in the last two million years with the last about 640,000 years ago and that they happen on average every 600,000 years. I actually took that into consideration when I moved to Missouri as I wanted to be as far away from Yellowstone as possible while remaining in the lower Midwest, although I realize if it blows, we're all toast sooner or later..Oh well, that goes to show you how worrying about what probably won't ever happen in our lifetimes can influence a decision. 8)

Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 PM

MoMark- I just have to laugh- if the fear of volcano is stopping you from moving to Yellowstone area, do you know that you are living on the biggest fault in the US? Madrid had a quake of 8.0 in 1810-1812, that didn't do a whole lot of damage to lives, because Missouri was sparsely populated at that time. The quake made new lakes, gaps and hill. It has been expected to erupt again anytime between 2000 and 2040. If you are comfortable in MO, I see no reason to be afraid of volcanoes!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
MoMark- I just have to laugh- if the fear of volcano is stopping you from moving to Yellowstone area, do you know that you are living on the biggest fault in the US? Madrid had a quake of 8.0 in 1810-1812, that didn't do a whole lot of damage to lives, because Missouri was sparsely populated at that time. The quake made new lakes, gaps and hill. It has been expected to erupt again anytime between 2000 and 2040. If you are comfortable in MO, I see no reason to be afraid of volcanoes!
I know dc53... but being the natural disaster worrywart that I am (been that way since the Loma Prieta Earthquake when I was in college and at work at the Stonestown Galleria in San Francisco when the place started lurching back and forth, up and down, glass shattering, people screaming, the building groaning, things falling from the ceiling, escalators being thrown out of their places, skylights cracking...I freaked out. I knew about New Madrid long before I moved here and I know about the earthquakes of 1811 and 1812...but..! Where I live is actually a very low earthquake threat as I'm over 1000ft up in elevation on the top of the Ozark plateau which is solid rock. The eastern part of Missouri however up to the Mississippi River is about 200-300ft in elevation and it's on a silt/soil base that liquifies in major earthquakes. I may be in the same state, but the topography under me is vastly different!!! I took that into consideration too!

Old 09-21-2006, 09:46 PM

MoMark- Usually you have warnings about volcanoes- rumbling, seismic activity, spewing- for weeks or days- enough for you to flee if needed. I just hate to see someone not come to a beautiful place!

Old 09-21-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
MoMark- Usually you have warnings about volcanoes- rumbling, seismic activity, spewing- for weeks or days- enough for you to flee if needed. I just hate to see someone not come to a beautiful place!
dc53, I never wanted to live there! I simply wanted to be geographically far from it! I applaud people who move to Wyoming, I know it's beautiful, incredible, and a wonderful place for people who are looking for that unspoiled environment. When I spoke of what my hesitation would be to move there because of Yellowstone, I was speaking hypothetically! If I did in fact want to live in Wyoming, Yellowstone would have been a dealbreaker for me. I've wanted to live in southwest Missouri for a few years and finally made the break last June. I wanted to live in Missouri. I was just surprised no one has mentioned Yellowstone here, that's all

Old 09-22-2006, 09:36 AM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,254,619 times
Default yellowstone

I guess living in the same state as Yellowstone has never bothered me. Why worry about it. You're in more danger driving to work than from a volcano. You are right though about Wyoming being a great place - if you like this lifestyle. If someone is more into the "city" - stuff Wyoming is not for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming