Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 07:35 PM

402 posts, read 2,211,362 times

Advertisements

I've been looking a ton for places too, and one link I really liked was (broken link). Word of warning, it doesn't seem truly accurate all the time (opinion of crime ratings, etc.), but it does give property/state taxes, etc.

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2006 at 09:00 AM.. Reason: link removed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2006, 07:50 PM

21 posts, read 89,802 times
Iam in Broward County Florida and I can attest that this Flordian is tired of the rude, obnoxious and hostile environment in South Florida. I am looking for some peace and the beautifuls states of Wyoming, montana and/or South Dakota have perked my interest. I have been in South Florida for 18 years and two things strike home. you never feel like a part of the town and you never get used to the rudeness. We have a joke that we love living in South Florida because it is so close to the United States. As far as the move, so much real estate and so little time to decide where to live.

Old 09-27-2006, 08:13 AM
ona

2 posts, read 6,663 times
We live in florida too and hate it here, as soon as we can we are leaving. We have checked out so many different places my head is spinning. But one thing I do know about the western states is they are getting pretty bad over there, of cource that is depending on what you like. We for example are looking for no restrictions no building codes etc. and I found out colorado has a law that you can't even take rain water out of the sky. Montana, is full of industrial buildings and weird smells I heard and it's also becomeing extremly crowded. All other western states are getting over crowded for that matter and what the west used to represent is pretty much non exsistent. But then again, I bet there are still some beautiful places out there, but for us personally we found out too many bad things about the west. Wyoming is extremely expensive unless your rich. Anyway, that's what I had to say. My advise research very carefully!

Old 09-27-2006, 01:45 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,225 times
Default moving west

Quote:
Originally Posted by ona View Post
We live in florida too and hate it here, as soon as we can we are leaving. We have checked out so many different places my head is spinning. But one thing I do know about the western states is they are getting pretty bad over there, of cource that is depending on what you like. We for example are looking for no restrictions no building codes etc. and I found out colorado has a law that you can't even take rain water out of the sky. Montana, is full of industrial buildings and weird smells I heard and it's also becomeing extremly crowded. All other western states are getting over crowded for that matter and what the west used to represent is pretty much non exsistent. But then again, I bet there are still some beautiful places out there, but for us personally we found out too many bad things about the west. Wyoming is extremely expensive unless your rich. Anyway, that's what I had to say. My advise research very carefully!
It's pretty hard to make a decision about a place and form an opinion about a place based on what you "heard". There are great places all over the west. Maybe you "heard" these things about these states because they don't want you here. The west is full of people who want to move out here to do their own thing. However there do need to be some rules/laws to protect everyone.

I don't know where you heard that MT smells "weird". What industrial buildings? You obviously haven't been there. There are parts of WY that are expensive - not all. I live very well here and am certainly not rich! You advise everyone to research carefully - hopefully they do a better job than you have.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:34 PM

Default Had it with Florida

I have been in south Florida, (near Ft. Lauderdale) for 18 years and I have had my fill of the rude people and the overcrowding. I also question on occasion as to whether or not I am physically in the United States. The fishing is great and the weather is wonderful in the winter, but there is just too many people, too much crime and overall it has become a rat-race. Wyoming along with Montana are on our lists of places to start exploring. Sounds like a lot of people are growing tired of Florida. We would like somewhere with mountains and land with rolling hills and trees.

Old 10-07-2006, 03:37 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,088,670 times
Where in WY are there cheap houses?

Old 10-07-2006, 04:42 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,097,299 times
Smile Wyoming/Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by ona View Post
Ok, I live in Florida too, but already know I couldn't move to Wyoming as heavenly as it is. Fell in love with the Big Horns and surrounding area. And as beautiful as it was (acres of purple wildflowers with a backdrop of snow capped mountains, Medicine Wheel, Crazy Woman Canyon!), when I saw signs that they closed the gates on I-25 due to snow I figured I could wake up and quit dreaming. But there are plenty of places without a lot of people. And Montana's weird smells? Unless you're smelling the geysers from Yellowstone, I have no clue who had that information. Maybe a silo is now considered an industrial building? It's so wide open that half of Florida could move there and still have miles of freedom. They likely just don't want a bunch of Floridians coming out there messing it up like we have our state! I'll go out to Wyoming again, God willing, but I'll enjoy it as a vacation and leave only my footprints behind!

Old 10-19-2006, 06:28 PM

5 posts, read 19,701 times
Default Shall I move?

I went over most of the posts in this thread. I live in San Fransisco bay area, but as I work as a consultant I was looking for a corporate job, and I happened to get an offer from a Boca Raton based big corporation. But then I after going through all the mails and talking to some friends I am not sure wheather moving to FL will be a good decision? I am still renting here in CA as the house prices are beyond my reach. What do you guys will do in my scenario ? Say that with my offer I will be making around 6 grand more a year? How's Boca Raton for living? A

Old 10-20-2006, 09:14 PM

Default Iam Saying goodbye to Broward County, Florida and Hello to WY

My wife and I are also planning on leaving Florida for the west. Topography wise, is there any mountainous areas that normal people can afford to live near. I understand that the western area south of Yellowstone is very, very expensive. Are their other areas of Wyoming with mountains and valleys that are more affordable. We are in our 50's and have some life left. Work is not really going to be required, (govt retirements) but would like something to keep us both busy. Thank you

Old 10-21-2006, 08:23 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,255,225 times
Default WY affordable housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLeonardAthas View Post
My wife and I are also planning on leaving Florida for the west. Topography wise, is there any mountainous areas that normal people can afford to live near. I understand that the western area south of Yellowstone is very, very expensive. Are their other areas of Wyoming with mountains and valleys that are more affordable. We are in our 50's and have some life left. Work is not really going to be required, (govt retirements) but would like something to keep us both busy. Thank you
There are many mountain ranges in WY. Most people just know about the Tetons (Jackson area). Why don't you look around Cody - although it too is expensive. It just depends on what your definition of affordable is. There's also Laramie, Sheridan, Buffalo, Wheatland, Douglas. Get out your atlas or look at a Wyoming map on the internet. There are a lot of things going on in all of these towns. Wheatland and Douglas are probably more affordable and both are close to larger towns. Wheatland is an hour north of Cheyenne and Douglas is about 30 minutes from Casper.

Also be prepared for WY weather. We have had several snowfalls already this year. It's also windy most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming