Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:28 AM

4 posts, read 17,209 times

Advertisements

My husband has just started a job in Gillette. We are originally from MI. We came to FL in June. The promised job did not pan out. (Fl has NO jobs)Now he left for Wy and I stayed behind in FL for now (i have a job). He landed a job the first day driving at the mines. (big trucks) The money seems pretty good. Could anyone tell me why they say people don't stay in WY??? Is it the weather, work or is it that isolated?? My husband likes it there. He says no heavy traffic, nice people and yes lots of hunting, housing not so good, but we can rent till we find a house we want. We are used the the cold if thats it. Also what is the closest town with a mall (for me)??

Old 11-12-2007, 11:57 AM

1,466 posts, read 4,056,509 times
Casper I know has malls and is a bigger town. Billings is only 120 miles from Sheridan and they have malls.

I love it here too... Sadly the boom has positives and negatives. The positives is a booming economy and workforce. The negatives are almost impossible to find a rental unless you jump on one the day they become available. The housing market is becoming inflated, there are programs to help, but for some people it is just out of their reach. Childcare is extremely hard to find sometimes.

I wouldn't change moving here for a second. We love the climate and don't mind the weather and there are some really friendly locals here. Of course there are some unfriendly people that don't like outsiders and in a way I can't blame them because they are fearful of people moving in and changing the way of life rather than assimilating.

I pray and hope we can buy a home through the USDA and I am pretty sure my husband can land a job in his same industry with a little more pay that he is considering. If not, then we are down to another rental to find because our landlords are becoming mean and confrontational of out no where towards us and we are pretty easy going people always have been. So if we can't find a rental we either have to move to another city in Wyoming or down to the South somewhere.

But I will say this, I knew these risks and so did my hubby before we moved here, and we don't regret it one bit. For as long as we are here we will be forever greatful and hopefully it will be for the long run. All depends on what is best for each persons family and having a roof over one's head ect.

Best of luck to you. I hope that helps...

Ps. I would suggest doing a search about boom and busts in this forum, there are locals with a lot of insight of past booms and busts and the affect it had on the people living and coming and go to Wyoming...

Last edited by Kristynwy; 11-12-2007 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-12-2007, 08:40 PM

249 posts, read 1,029,911 times
I hate to say it, but I lived in Laramie for grad school for 5 years and I am very grateful to live in Denver now. I think the weather and how quiet it is were the problems for me. The summers never really get very warm and during the middle of winter I wouldn't leave my house after dark because of the intense chill. It feels like it is windy most of the time. And, for me, there wasn't a lot to do and not many people to meet. Just things to keep in mind. The outdoor opportunities are amazing, however, great moutain biking, climbing, and skiing for sure.

Old 11-12-2007, 09:29 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I really don't think it's locals that leave. Don't get me wrong. But I mean the people that grew up here.

We have booms where a coal mine will open and 200 jobs will open. So people come flocking in. Once it's operating, it only takes 50 people to run it so the people that flocked in, now leave.

I've seen a lot of people that come and go. But my old boot maker is still here. My kid's school teachers are still here. My friends that I knew 30 years ago, are still here. The rancher that let's me hunt on his property, is still here.

So people are not leaving. Least not the locals. It's the transients.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
yeah, its kind of a 'passion' thing... you really need to love it, and many do. There are disadvantages for some, that they cannot get over.

windy, cold, limited services (or the need to drive to them), limited social activities

but for some folks, its just what they are looking for.
not too crowded, lots of really nice people (a few not so nice), and a great state.

Its similar to driving a diesel car or truck, some folks don't like the smell or noise. Being a farm kid that was weaned on the stack of a tractor... I need a healthy snort of unburnt diesel smoke in the AM, instead of coffee

Old 11-13-2007, 02:55 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
I am currently out of Wyoming, partly because a lot of the work I now do is elsewhere. (I'm temporariily back in my native state of Colorado, but I may not stay there permanently.) I loved my years in Wyoming, made some great friends there (some of the best people I have ever met anywhere), and found the overall quality of life for me to be excellent.

There is little bad that I could say about the state. One of Wyoming's great virtues is now becoming a serious challenge: Its sparse population density and large geographical area demand a lot of driving for just about everything. In these days (here for a long time, I think) of exploding fuel costs, that is going to make getting around the state an increasingly very expensive proposition. The era of a 700-1,000 mile "weekend getaway" around Wyoming (a pretty common occurence for Wyomingites up until now) is probably going to become less and less affordable. That is something that people consdering moving to Wyoming need to factor into their thinking.

I would put the people who leave Wyoming into four groups:

1. People who just can't stand the place, for whatever reason. Not that many of those.
2. People who need services (medical, professional, etc.) that simply are not available in a sparsely populated rural setting.
3. People whose family ties take them away from the state.
4. People whose education path, careeer path, job prospects, or personal economic situation take them elsewhere. Probably the most common reason--and one that a lot of both native Wyomingites and non-natives wind up leaving for.

I'm not a native Wyomingite, but I get very upset when people badmouth the place. Overall, Wyoming is a great state.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:40 AM

7 posts, read 37,773 times
Smile Interviewing people from Wyoming

I am resident of Las Vegas, NV and am doing research on people moving from Wyoming to Las Vegas, NV. I have interviewed dozens of people. Thus far, my data indicates that many people from Wyoming are quite dull, they do not quite fit in a large metropolis of many cultures, and their choice of fashion is out-dated. Many persons from Wyoming who leave the state claim that Wyoming is a very boring state.

Old 11-17-2007, 08:47 AM

264 posts, read 1,093,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas_Moneyman View Post
I am resident of Las Vegas, NV and am doing research on people moving from Wyoming to Las Vegas, NV. I have interviewed dozens of people. Thus far, my data indicates that many people from Wyoming are quite dull, they do not quite fit in a large metropolis of many cultures, and their choice of fashion is out-dated. Many persons from Wyoming who leave the state claim that Wyoming is a very boring state.
Yep, nobody in Wyoming has a personality. They're all just a bunch of uneducated rednecks sitting around in their podunk towns, twiddling their thumbs, wearing last year's line of clothes from Carhartt. It's so boring here...so please tell all your like-minded friends that this is how Wyoming is. I'm sure the good people of Wyoming will truly miss their company in this great state.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:21 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas_Moneyman View Post
I'm sure that Wyomingites would probably seem "dull" to a person apparently embracing a city originally developed by mobsters to pimp every kind of vice possible. Wyomingites tend to favor the steak over the sizzle, so they often find real hometown values more important that the self-centered, self-indulgent, materialistic, hedonist BS lifestyle that places like Las Vegas offer. I guess that would be a fashion that would be "outdated" by Las Vegas standards.

Old 11-17-2007, 11:16 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I'm sure that Wyomingites would probably seem "dull" to a person apparently embracing a city originally developed by mobsters to pimp every kind of vice possible. Wyomingites tend to favor the steak over the sizzle, so they often find real hometown values more important that the self-centered, self-indulgent, materialistic, hedonist BS lifestyle that places like Las Vegas offer. I guess that would be a fashion that would be "outdated" by Las Vegas standards.
If the description you've given for a dull person is accurate, I'd choose it anytime over the alternative. I guess I'm one of those "dull" people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming