Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2008, 07:48 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbzlady View Post
I started this thread when we bought our little piece of the Wy Tex Ranch. I only wanted to ask a few questions and gather general information. I have learned alot, and have met many people who live, or have bought land there. Each and every one of us have our own personal life experiences, some good, some bad. Each of us will experience life in a remote area as differently as we live our lives. No one can speak for another if they haven't walked in their moccasins. Please keep your posts friendly and hopefully we will all have a chance to learn new and interesting things. Maybe even meet our new neighbors
I would like to thank you for starting this thread. Though I didn't buy property in WyTex Ranch, I did buy in another subdivision (Laramie Peak Ranches) northeast of there. I like to hear about what people are doing to live off the land, so to speak, because I'm interested in doing many of the same things. I would like to build an environmentally friendly home on my property to live in when I retire, and I've read some interesting things here and on some other forums that have given me many things to think about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 01:48 AM

33 posts, read 123,093 times
We all have different plans of how we want to live life in Wy. I like to embrace the differences. Some are looking for solitude. Some are looking for family. And some are looking for freedom. It takes us all to make a good place work. I like the neighbors that I have met at wytex. I look forward to seeing them. Lately, I have heard over this thread alot of bad things about wytex. Maybe they are true,maybe not. The main thing that I have to say is that these people have made me so happy that I will always look forward to being there. Wytex folks have been good to us. Yes, the land is harsh. But, the friends we have made there are priceless. If you are thinking about buying land there, come with an open heart. Love thy nieghbor

Old 04-21-2008, 01:54 PM

59 posts, read 239,906 times
Smile Closer to home

It's time for another update! This is our 3rd trip to Wyoming We are heading to wy tex in a couple of weeks. We don't know if we have a barn yet . The roads weren't dried out enough for the construction vehicles. We kind of have a telephone relay going on between our contractor and different people who live in the area, keeping him posted on the roads, so he doesn't drive from Casper for no reason. You will know it's built when you see a dark blue barn next to the red barn on Man O' War Drive.
We hope to get our well pump in, & the water pumped & tested. If the water is not good, we will have to figure out a filtration system. We will try to put a hole in the ground for a big propane tank & dig some water and gas line trenches. Lots of work, but we are really looking forward to it.
We've not had a problem with people in the area, and hope never to have. My husband says one of the things he likes about Wyoming is that he can load & sight before anyone gets in range of his 30.06.
If any of you are out that way, please stop by and say Hello. We look forward to meeting you. We'll try to post another note on our progress.

Last edited by bzbzlady; 04-21-2008 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-21-2008, 09:25 PM

592 posts, read 2,244,145 times
Yes , I would like to know how the well turns out. Depths ,flows and cost ,if thats not to personal ? Also if you think the driller does a good job . I might need one drilled next year.

Old 06-08-2008, 08:03 PM

We had the well drilled last year by watson well in Laramie. They went down 260 ft and got 5 gal per min. A neighbor also drilled and the went 200 ft and got 10 gal per min. I think it was about $25 ft. We are getting a pump next week and then get the water tested. We buy water from medicine bow now, so it will be nice not to have to haul it.
There has been alot of rain & snow which will be good for the wells this year. The down side is the roads are muddy, and so our barn is only framed so far. There is a labor shortage & the contractor only has 2 employees right now.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:00 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc53 View Post
If you buy the land, the former owners will want to keep 'mineral rights'- that means that if someone ever drills, finds, coal, diamonds (yeah, sure), anything of value, you cannot get the proceeds from the income. The oil holders are trying to make a deal that they can drill on private land, even if you don't want them to. So, be careful, it might not be such a bargin!
THAT is a normal thing when you purchase land in Wyo - esp. from a rancher or a developer. They nearly ALWAYS retain mineral rights & they win most of the battles in court to get what is rightfully theres. Buyers beware....

Old 06-08-2008, 09:09 PM

430 posts, read 1,623,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbzlady View Post
We had the well drilled last year by watson well in Laramie. They went down 260 ft and got 5 gal per min. A neighbor also drilled and the went 200 ft and got 10 gal per min. I think it was about $25 ft. We are getting a pump next week and then get the water tested. We buy water from medicine bow now, so it will be nice not to have to haul it.
There has been alot of rain & snow which will be good for the wells this year. The down side is the roads are muddy, and so our barn is only framed so far. There is a labor shortage & the contractor only has 2 employees right now.
At the risk of being labeled "Capt.Obvious" the more wells go in the deeper they will have to go & the lower thye gpm will be.

I lived outside Wheatland in the 1980's & our pump ws set at 80' in a 140' well. My ex still lives there and about 8-9 years ago he had to re-drill & go down over 250' to get the gpm we had in 1980 because of all the new wells being drilled into the same aquafer. Our water there was EXCELLENT (haven't tasted it since the new well went in but is right next to the old one so am sure is still great). I hate hearing they are selling all that land on the other side of Laramie peak. We used to go up scavaging in the old ruby mines. Oh well - bound to happen sooner or later. Why on God's earth would ppl buy land over the net w/o ever going there??? And how large of parcels are they selling just out of curiousity. That was wilderness when I lived there in every way except designation. Same with where Wytex apparently is..

Old 07-08-2008, 03:31 PM

Talking We have a barn!

It was hard getting the weather to cooperate, but finally, the barn has been built. There was a tornado in Laramie and it was so windy out here that the 2x6 braces broke.
We have met so many people here this summer. Some have had land here for several years and a have houses built already, others are just getting started. We had snow on June 12th this year!
We have seen several dens of fox this year and a few badgers. The Antelope are everywhere. We have one that comes to vist almost every day, I think she has a thing for our dog. He hides under the 5th wheel if she gets too close.
The well water tested good!!!!! It tastes ok and is nice and cold! No more hauling water!
Stop by & chat if you get out this way.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:24 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,061,367 times
bzbzlady,

I'm glad things are starting to come together for you. It's always hard starting from the ground up. So many dreams and it seems like it takes forever.

I have a friend up here that has a pet badger. Not real friendly, but won't tear you up either. It was a little scary the first time I went out to his place and had a badger come running up to me. I knew he had one and he said don't worry, but it still was a little scary. He latched onto my boot toe. Not hard enough to hurt. But I had to drag him around for 10 minutes before he let go and went off and did something else.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:53 AM

5 posts, read 30,513 times
To bzbzlady
I am so happy for you and your family. I just recently bought 4 parcels Last year that are together and will some day build a barn and workshop. It is great to hear you got water. I look forward to someday meeting all my neighbors. I was out there last July. It is very beautiful. I wish only the best for you and thank you for posting and keeping everybody abreast with what is going on there. We will all be thinking about you.
Sal F.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming