Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 10:53 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by servina View Post
I'm brand new to this forum. My husband and I also purchased a tract of Wy-Tex a year ago, went out over the summer with the grandbaby, and met Bob. He led us into our property and it practically took a crowbar to get me off the property. Yes, I know we haven't been out there in the winter, but, I grew up in rural northern Illinois. Cold is cold, once it gets to zero. We have been all over the state in our travels prior to purchasing the Wy-Tex property, so we knew what the general area was like. Just looking forward to getting out there again this summer to start building the vacation/dream home. (And, yes, my dream home is a little log cabin...in the middle of freakin' nowhere...in Wyoming.)
Sounds a lot like my dream home, which will only be about 40 miles from yours. Bob showed me my place, too, in the Laramie Peak Ranches. I wanted a little more trees and mountains than what Wytex had to offer, though I did see some places that looked pretty neat out that way, at least in the pictures. I won't be building for a while yet, since I won't be heading that way permanently for quite a few years. I do head out there at least once or twice a year, and hope to do so even more frequently in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 1,060 times
HI GUYS!! I have had to change my sign on name and stuff. I used to be RABBITMAN41. Now I am the newme4evr. I locked myself out of my old email address and couldnt remember my password. So I had to re do everything, including this. My wife got hold of my computer and somehow managed to erase all the passwords in all of my sites. Oh well!! I needed to up date anyway.
WELL, I missed you guys. I have tried to send bzbzlady and bzbzman some personel emails but for some reason they keep getting kicked back. My new email is newme4evr@yahoo.com.
I will take some time to review allthe blogs here and get caught up. The new baby is keeping us pretty busy and so is my school work.
Keep warm everyone!!

Old 02-14-2008, 09:48 AM

12 posts, read 59,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbzlady View Post
Maybe you'll be our new neighbors! Bob also helped us get on the right road. We had turned down Beyerly mistaking it for Man O' War. Not to much that distinquishes one road from another. We are up by the big red barn. We hope to have a barn in the spring. Where is your property? We'll be there in May, Maybe we'll see you!

We get to our property on Beyerly. If I remember rightly, we're tract 68-B. We'll probably be out in July or August. I have to plan my vacation time around school, as I work for one of the universities in Indiana.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM

12 posts, read 59,473 times
Default correction

Oops...the tract we purchased was 64-B...also known to the tax assessor as 514 Beyerly Road. Looking forward to meeting some of the neighbors this summer.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:51 PM

59 posts, read 239,906 times
Sounds like you are in the SW corner of wy tex. One of your neighbors has a small 2 story cabin out that way. We are probably about 5 or 6 miles from you. we are wt 2-10.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newme4evr View Post
HI GUYS!! I have had to change my sign on name and stuff. I used to be RABBITMAN41. Now I am the newme4evr. I locked myself out of my old email address and couldnt remember my password. So I had to re do everything, including this. My wife got hold of my computer and somehow managed to erase all the passwords in all of my sites. Oh well!! I needed to up date anyway.
WELL, I missed you guys. I have tried to send bzbzlady and bzbzman some personel emails but for some reason they keep getting kicked back. My new email is newme4evr@yahoo.com.
I will take some time to review allthe blogs here and get caught up. The new baby is keeping us pretty busy and so is my school work.
Keep warm everyone!!
Hi,
I read this to bzbzman, and he will email you. bzbzlady

Old 03-04-2008, 02:27 PM

9 posts, read 34,702 times
Default answers to some questions and comments from other members I was asked to post

Comment from frozentundra with which I and DrDorothy agree:
"When I originally visited this site I thought the site was a forum for discussion about places to live. The idea seemed to be that asking people who lived in a location what the location was like. However, I now see that the major thrust of the forum is to demand that individuals living where a person bought land and are moving to must reinforce the "Live your dream" speech the realtor gave and agree that the one photo taken in the spring at WyTex is what it looks like all the time. There needs to be reassurance that the deer and the antelope do frolic year round and life on the prairie is heaven on earth. After all, that's what you were sold. Sadly,I am unable to help your realtor push that "dream." Since many of you are not visiting the forum for information and are not at all interested in truth, raelity or any threat to the dream, it is best I no longer participate. To those who truly wereinterested in reality and conditions at WyTex, I apologize for having to give up on the forum. However, my policy has always been that if people ask for information, I give an answer and if it is not what they wanted, then they call me a liar or say that they know better, it's not worth my time to continue the conversation. WyTex is sold as a dream. So dust off that Bambi DVD and lull yourself into the original faith you had in a picture on the Internet and the guy who made big bucks from selling you the land. I am having frozengrandma post for me as it hurts and angers me to come here and see people are not learning anything from other people's dire experiences or even death in WyTex.

Comments from DrDorothy: I am having frozengrandma post for me because I have never found or remembered my password to do it myself. Answers to some of the comments I have read courtesy of her. Planning ahead: I have always planned ahead but the best plans in the world can be made null by Mother Nature. Best way to live in WyTex is don't live there. Visit or vacation a few weeks but DO NOT LIVE THERE. Solar & wind power are your best options but beware as we burned out 4 residential wind turbines in the monster winds before we got them just right. In winter do not depend much on solar. In spring and summer even if you have the best grounding around do expect the lightening to blow some of your equipment out. Septic costs. The $12,000 is for the system it is not the cost of having the concrete and equipment hauled in to do the work or the labor costs. Same with a well even sharing the cost of the equipment and labor with someone a well 8 years ago cost $5,000 and the well is 260 ft (good depth, yes, but) there is so much sulpher, alkalai and arsenic in the water it even killed my plants so I still have to haul all the water for drinking, animals and plants and if you do not put a state authorized pump on the well and certify you are using it daily within the first year you can file for a 7 year extension and if it is not done by then you lose your water rights. To the lady who says after it hits 0 degrees it cannot get any colder-- boy are you wrong. Wait until you are caught out in a freak snowstorm with wind chills to 65 below zero and you will eat those words. As for my age. I am 61 years old, Native American, ex-military with combat training and a survivalist with a lot of outdoor living experience and after 5 winters in WyTex I am leaving because it is not worth dying for. I am hearty and can out work or out walk 20 somethings so it is not a matter of age at all--it is a matter of knowing when Nature has the upper hand and I have lived in some really harsh areas. As for wanting to live in WyTex I did not but my companion did. I hated the mouse pee smell of the land as a whole the first time I came here. It does not go away because nearly every animal in here is a rodent. Now my companion did not last one winter before leaving and now lives in Las Vegas and I am still here. I am 16 years older than my companion. Do not expect to grow anything. I have planted nearly 200 trees and plants in 5 years and either they die from drought, cold and snow or the wildlife eats them and I do not care how you fence them. If the above ground critters don't get them the underground ones will eat the roots, they will die from heat within the two or three weeks of temps over 100, root rot because of poor soil drainage, or the buds will die to late spring/summer snows, hail or ice storms or early snows. There has been snow in August out here. Roads: Residents maintain the roads and that gets very expensive. We did it for three years and quit because everyone else thought it was our job when they were the ones tearing them up. Theft is very real and do not depend on help from the law. When I first came here the land was trash free but newcomers think because it is rural and windy it is OK to litter because it will blow away. Do not expect anything from RMT. I have a letter from Mr. Joyner which states: " I sell dreams; I never intended for anyone to live on the land." When I bought the land trade guarantee was for a lifetime with no questions asked but it has gotten shorter with restrictions and the land price has gone higher. Did you get the "no penalty for defaulting on paying for the land; no refund" clause in your contract? If you did That is because very few people pay for the land once they actually visit and he makes bundles of money on the resale of it over and over again. I agree with frozentundra's comments that people do not want to know the truth they want a reinforcement of what they already have decided is the truth so I also am no longer going to participate in the WyTex forum. I want to thank frozengrandma for posting for me this one last time. Last year I was snowed in for 100 days and this winter it has already been 119 days to date and appears it will be at least the end of April or maybe even mid May before WyTex roads are cleared of stuck vehicles and dry enough for use again. I also have my son and his family moving in by walking the 5 miles from the entrance because they lost their home and that includes 4 children ages 4 weeks, twins 4 and another baby 2 and all I care about is getting all of us out of WyTex and probably WY to a safe place to live. All I can say in closing is if any of you are fool enough to build here or try to live here then you reap your rewards for not listening to experience. We built our cabin from the ground up to withstand the wind and bought a brand new mobile home and the wind has blown snow into and around the roof in both so the ceilings are falling out of the mobile home and water runs from the walls across the floors every thaw. Mice have chewed the wiring and the insulation is full of mold but we still have years to pay on it. Snow has blown through double pane storm windows like they were not even there. Plan on burning wood. Good luck as it is hard to find, prime for theft and We have a no fire ordinance from 3/15 to 10/15 because the prairie grass is dry then and we are in a "no fire" zone which means no fire department responds to a fire out here. It is right on your tax receipt "no fire". I intend to keep my land and I may even come out in the summer but anyone who plans on living in WyTex after all the warnings clearly has no brains and I don't care how tough you think you are it will beat you down or kill you and you better be very rich as well because you will not drive out of here in winter or the rainy season to get to a job. Good Luck to you if you still think you are going to live in here.

I have nothing furhter to add as I think my friends ahve it pretty well covered. Thank you for your time. frozengrandma

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,434,090 times
well you can give your opinion based on your experiances but its pointless to get angry with those who choose to ignore your advice.most wytex property owners will never live there and i'm sure that many who try will end up leaving within a few years.i'm sure there are some who love it there.i would never move there even if someone gave me a house and paid me to live there,[or at least they'd have to pay pretty well,lol],but thats just me.....and likely most people.ive spent a little time in the general area and its not my cup of tea but im not one to crush others dreams and fantasies.if you see something there that im missing i wish you luck and hope you find what you're looking for.

Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 PM
PCN

21 posts, read 51,079 times
Howdy neighbors -

My name is Paul I own parcel 58B. To those near me I look forward to hopefully meeting you some day. I'm a friendly fella and always willing to help out if I can. I'm a hunter/explorer and plan to use this land for a base camp a couple weeks a year. I expect to be there this summer with my dog Jake doing the tent thing. If you see a Cabela's Expedition tent rolling by your land give a yell as I might be in it!!

I've owned this section for a year but have spent the last 15 years in different parts of Wyoming. While there are some apparently very unhappy folks here I'd like to thank them for their perspective and honesty. The information they provide helps everyone make what they hope is the best decision.

Living with wind is a fact in Wyoming. Pull your cowboy hat down tigher. Weather is something you endure and learn to cope with. If you don't it can be miserable and there are some lousy experiences posted on this thread.

I may consider this location for a permant log cabin but will need more time to investigate what is needed to make it work. Solar power is good, so is a generator and wood burning stove. In all my years of exploring this great country, I've never seen snow make it's way through double pane glass. Has this happened to other cabin owners in the area?

What is most disturbing though are stories of theft and vandalism. I'm sure those who have lived in this area their whole lives can provide some input but I hope these are isolated issues and not a growing trend.

Take care y'all,
Paul

Old 04-05-2008, 11:56 PM

Smile Wy Tex

I started this thread when we bought our little piece of the Wy Tex Ranch. I only wanted to ask a few questions and gather general information. I have learned alot, and have met many people who live, or have bought land there. Each and every one of us have our own personal life experiences, some good, some bad. Each of us will experience life in a remote area as differently as we live our lives. No one can speak for another if they haven't walked in their moccasins. Please keep your posts friendly and hopefully we will all have a chance to learn new and interesting things. Maybe even meet our new neighbors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming