Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2020, 06:33 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
Yes, our one saving grace in Sacramento is we have SMUD for electricity and puke, I mean, PG&E for gas. Family in Placer County did have blackouts and they're just 10 miles from us. PG&E doing what they do best.
People who despise private business would neither be happy nor welcome in Wyoming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 08:36 PM

788 posts, read 1,742,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People who despise private business would neither be happy nor welcome in Wyoming.
Wow. For the record Wyoming is plenty dependent on the federal government

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 PM

138 posts, read 172,333 times
Quote:
We really wanted to like Casper. The hospitals there are large enough to offer all specialties, there's at least a junior college, home prices are decent, and skiing is close. But as we drove from Laramie I kept thinking when are we gonna get there? Casper really is out there on its own. You're hours from a Costco/ Sam's/ Home Depot/ Lowe's and major airport. I know not everyone would care about these issues, it's subjective.
It was so hot when we pulled into Casper, I felt like I was back in Sacramento. I don't know, maybe if we'd visited Casper first rather than after Pinedale and Laramie we might have had a different opinion. But then we visited Buffalo after Casper and really liked it. So, yes, it's all subjective. But I'm glad we visited to at least rule it out.
On the other hand, I came in May 2015 for my look-see after getting a job offer and thought it was pretty nice. It's much nicer at that time of year. I just figured anywhere out west would have really hot summers and long, cold winters. The airport does leave some to be desired, but security and parking are such a breeze. All in all, it may be one of my favorite parts of living here and traveling. I've probably flown out of it a dozen times and love that I can leave home an hour before flight departure (with no checked bags).

Buffalo is really pretty at all times of year, but it's just too small for me to live there. Casper is just big enough to have what I need on a daily basis, but small enough to not be overwhelming. It may just be a matter of what you're looking for.

Five years in, and I cannot imagine raising a family or living anywhere else on a permanent basis. It's a good fit for me and my family.

Old 08-25-2020, 10:10 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Well, at least you aren't having rolling blackouts in 100 degree weather because generators were taken offline because they aren't "green". Oh... never mind...
well Star Valley has good Schools, it a quick trip to Idaho falls to Sams and a new Costco going in

Old 08-25-2020, 10:22 AM

3,649 posts, read 6,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
Wow. For the record Wyoming is plenty dependent on the federal government

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/
48 % of Wyoming is Public land. Then a very large part of the miner estate under private land is Federal owned , so yes the federal government is going to spend lot of money in Wyoming.

Old 08-25-2020, 03:45 PM

590 posts, read 932,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That might be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. If you support a business that has been responsible for the deaths of well over 100 people in the last decade, people who literally burned to death in their homes due to PG&E's continual and perpetual gross malfeasance, then there's no conversation to be had with someone like you. No other U.S. business- private, public, energy or otherwise-has been directly responsible for as many deaths that were preventable as PG&E has in the last decade. Get a grip.

Last edited by NorCalMan; 08-25-2020 at 04:02 PM..

Old 08-25-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipes23 View Post
On the other hand, I came in May 2015 for my look-see after getting a job offer and thought it was pretty nice. It's much nicer at that time of year. I just figured anywhere out west would have really hot summers and long, cold winters. The airport does leave some to be desired, but security and parking are such a breeze. All in all, it may be one of my favorite parts of living here and traveling. I've probably flown out of it a dozen times and love that I can leave home an hour before flight departure (with no checked bags).

Buffalo is really pretty at all times of year, but it's just too small for me to live there. Casper is just big enough to have what I need on a daily basis, but small enough to not be overwhelming. It may just be a matter of what you're looking for.

Five years in, and I cannot imagine raising a family or living anywhere else on a permanent basis. It's a good fit for me and my family.
That's good to know. Like I said, it's all subjective. A town the size of Buffalo or Pinedale is perfect for us. The issue is hospital jobs, which is our professions. Casper has all the specialties, Pinedale doesn't but I hear they're in the process of breaking ground on a real hospital. Buffalo does have most specialties but not all, Sheridan has all specialties.

One of the other things we considered in looking to a place to move to was the ability to keep busy in the winter when it's cold and snowy and water sports in the summer when it's hot. We love skiing and boating. Casper and Laramie have skiing nearby but, AFAIK, neither have any lakes. But Pinedale and Buffalo/ Sheridan have both skiing and lakes.

We definitely want to do a tour through Wyoming again. The two weeks we spent just wasn't enough.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:19 PM

138 posts, read 172,333 times
Quote:
That's good to know. Like I said, it's all subjective. A town the size of Buffalo or Pinedale is perfect for us. The issue is hospital jobs, which is our professions. Casper has all the specialties, Pinedale doesn't but I hear they're in the process of breaking ground on a real hospital. Buffalo does have most specialties but not all, Sheridan has all specialties.

One of the other things we considered in looking to a place to move to was the ability to keep busy in the winter when it's cold and snowy and water sports in the summer when it's hot. We love skiing and boating. Casper and Laramie have skiing nearby but, AFAIK, neither have any lakes. But Pinedale and Buffalo/ Sheridan have both skiing and lakes.

We definitely want to do a tour through Wyoming again. The two weeks we spent just wasn't enough.
It's all absolutely subjective.

As for lakes, Alcova isn't far from Casper, maybe half an hour from downtown to waterfront. It is set in a beautiful red rocks area and has a yacht club. Lots of my local friends think it's wonderful. Pathfinder, which is a lot bigger, isn't much further if memory serves. But that is absolutely it for lakes near Casper. I'd tell you how wonderful either lake is, but I'm not a reliable opinion on such matters.

And no, two weeks isn't enough.

Old 08-25-2020, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipes23 View Post
It's all absolutely subjective.

As for lakes, Alcova isn't far from Casper, maybe half an hour from downtown to waterfront. It is set in a beautiful red rocks area and has a yacht club. Lots of my local friends think it's wonderful. Pathfinder, which is a lot bigger, isn't much further if memory serves. But that is absolutely it for lakes near Casper. I'd tell you how wonderful either lake is, but I'm not a reliable opinion on such matters.

And no, two weeks isn't enough.
Good to know about lakes near Casper.

We had two weeks in Wyoming and two weeks in Montana. Could have spent a month in each state.

Old 08-25-2020, 05:18 PM

1,169 posts, read 751,328 times
Quote:
No other U.S. business- private, public, energy or otherwise-has been directly responsible for as many deaths that were preventable as PG&E has in the last decade. Get a grip.
Last 100 years, more like. When their wildland fires aren't destroying homes and lives, they're poisoning the well water with carcinogens or allowing major gas explosions due to negligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming