Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 02:58 PM

1,256 posts, read 1,112,100 times

Advertisements

Outside of ranching, I'd say oil, chemical and mining are the big businesses in Wyoming. Probably more folks are working the oil, chemical and mining fields than ranching, since those industries require more people daily. Mostly along I-80 (including the Cheyenne area), and then again up around Casper and into Gillette. Those workers have come in from all over the country, and other countries too. Likely many of them have never owned a cowboy hat or pair of cowboy boots. Neither work well in the oil field, chemical plant or mine. Like I've said in another post; I see more people herding cattle and sheep with ATVs and UTVs, than with horses these days. Yes, I still see people working on horseback, but not as much as I used to. I can't think of the last time I saw someone working a fence line by horseback. You can just carry so many more tools and wire on a UTV vs. horseback.

Cheyenne very well may be more country and cowboy than Loveland, CO, but you likely won't find that answer out until you move there. What is the size of the senior population in Cheyenne? Is the only rodeo in Cheyenne Frontier Days? Are there ranch rodeos in the area? How far will you have to travel to get to another rodeo each year/season... Laramie? On another thread here on the Wyoming page is the one about all the new housing going in south of Cheyenne. I assume many of those people will be the ones you are trying to get away from... young folks working in Ft Collins and can't afford to live there, so they buy in south Cheyenne. Then they will be looking for weekend entertainment in Cheyenne, and probably not cowboy entertainment. I think you are fishing on all these posts to find someone who will say: "Damn right, Cheyenne is cowboy heaven. Just like walking back into the 60s/70s Colorado front range." I'm not sure you'll get an answer like that. It's more likely you'll end up in a similar coffee shop in Cheyenne with a bunch of folks your age who don't know what PRCA stands for.

I know you said you don't trust your Durango to make scouting trips from Loveland to Cheyenne. Is it within your budget to rent a car for a few days to make the drive? You wouldn't even need a motel. Cheyenne is close enough for a daily round trip a few times. Good luck... truly.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:09 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Torgue View Post
I’d love to read more of that data, where can I get the source material?
See first 2 references here
https://www.google.com/search?q=cens...9i57.15837j0j7
for the state of birth info.

If you can see it. Google upset with my attempt to link for no good reason. (Looks to be working to my eyes.)

I'll send you the link to the % at data by pm shortly. Competitor site and all that. (Sent.)

Last edited by NW Crow; 06-06-2022 at 08:06 PM..

Old 06-06-2022, 08:04 PM

8,502 posts, read 8,802,096 times
ejisme, goverment data as reported by another site indicates energy resource employment in state is 2.5x of ag and related. Might be appropriate to include some construction and professional / scientific / technical with employment identified with mining, so it could be 3x employment of "ag".

Most people do stuff beyond the primary industries that help set the table for the others.

When I said 97% of Wyoming are not primarily / currently in ag, that was out of total workforce. If consider total population, it might be less (unless those ag folks are working spouses and kids hard for "free"...)

Old 06-07-2022, 02:46 AM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
I want to make this perfectly clear; we aren't looking for place where everyone dresses like they just got off of their horse after a cattle drive on a ranch and drove into town/city.

With as many outsiders moving to Wyoming, and some coming that don't want to, and won't, change things and those that may want to change a lot of things. Anyone moving there should already know what Wyoming is really about, because it's called The Cowboy State for a reason as for both ranching and rodeo. But, can't stop those ones that have no interest in either from moving there. Then, there are those that can't ranch/farm and/or rodeo anymore, but still have a serious interest/belief in all.

A lot of forum members can tell those asking about certain areas/towns/cities in the U.S. "do you really want to move there?" or something like that. Some will change their minds about where they thought would be a great place to move to, while others will ignore any criticisms of the area/town/city and move anyway. Sometimes things work out and other times, not.

As for us, and I've stated this a few times in replies, we don't, always wear western clothes. Summertime can be shorts/tennis shoes/baseball cap, unless going to a rodeo, steakhouse or some western event. Our apartment is decorated in a lot of rodeo/western pictures, but we are into more than just that. However, we are very serious rodeo fans and love seeing livestock by going to a auction or driving by a farm/ranch. We will never give up on rodeo/tv-movie westerns or The Old West and our apartment does show that.

In reading what parts of Wyoming is like, we really wonder what Montana today is like. And, no Montana isn't in our future, but just wonder.
fyi:

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/mont...ent=nlbuttonB1

https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/wyom...ent=nlbuttonB1

Old 06-07-2022, 08:01 AM

8,957 posts, read 20,382,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
Outside of ranching, I'd say oil, chemical and mining are the big businesses in Wyoming. Probably more folks are working the oil, chemical and mining fields than ranching, since those industries require more people daily. Mostly along I-80 (including the Cheyenne area), and then again up around Casper and into Gillette. Those workers have come in from all over the country, and other countries too. Likely many of them have never owned a cowboy hat or pair of cowboy boots. Neither work well in the oil field, chemical plant or mine. Like I've said in another post; I see more people herding cattle and sheep with ATVs and UTVs, than with horses these days. Yes, I still see people working on horseback, but not as much as I used to. I can't think of the last time I saw someone working a fence line by horseback. You can just carry so many more tools and wire on a UTV vs. horseback.

Cheyenne very well may be more country and cowboy than Loveland, CO, but you likely won't find that answer out until you move there. What is the size of the senior population in Cheyenne? Is the only rodeo in Cheyenne Frontier Days? Are there ranch rodeos in the area? How far will you have to travel to get to another rodeo each year/season... Laramie? On another thread here on the Wyoming page is the one about all the new housing going in south of Cheyenne. I assume many of those people will be the ones you are trying to get away from... young folks working in Ft Collins and can't afford to live there, so they buy in south Cheyenne. Then they will be looking for weekend entertainment in Cheyenne, and probably not cowboy entertainment. I think you are fishing on all these posts to find someone who will say: "Damn right, Cheyenne is cowboy heaven. Just like walking back into the 60s/70s Colorado front range." I'm not sure you'll get an answer like that. It's more likely you'll end up in a similar coffee shop in Cheyenne with a bunch of folks your age who don't know what PRCA stands for.

I know you said you don't trust your Durango to make scouting trips from Loveland to Cheyenne. Is it within your budget to rent a car for a few days to make the drive? You wouldn't even need a motel. Cheyenne is close enough for a daily round trip a few times. Good luck... truly.
First, Cheyenne Frontier Days is not the only rodeo that goes on in Cheyenne. Hell On Wheels is another. Going to Laramie Rodeo wouldn't be a big deal to drive there. It's not that far. Anyway, our plans are, later, to put a new engine in the Durango and keep it. We could drive it where ever then.

Wyoming isn't noted for entertainment, other than rodeo, museums of The Old West and Yellowstone. People have to drive down to The Ranch in Loveland for concerts, etc. or to Denver for MLB, NFL and NBA as well as their amusement park/water park.

As far as young people moving in, if we did move to Cheyenne, we'd just have to put up with it, just like the Old Timers of Cheyenne would.

If we ran across anyone who is/was on the Cheyenne Rodeo Committee, they would definitely know what PRCA meant. That Committee is pretty big!

Next month, July, we will be renting a car for a week, heading to CO Springs and then to Cheyenne for a few days. This will be before CFD starts. So, during those few days, we'll be able to decide "yes" or "no" to moving to Cheyenne.

Old 06-07-2022, 08:06 AM

Well, like I've been told numerous times by people on forums, doctors and others.........."don't believe everything you read online."

While some of what is posted is probably true, other things.............let's just say "questionable!"

Old 06-08-2022, 11:18 PM

5,586 posts, read 5,022,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBoomers2 View Post
Well, like I've been told numerous times by people on forums, doctors and others.........."don't believe everything you read online."

While some of what is posted is probably true, other things.............let's just say "questionable!"
That's very true especially on these open forums here. You will have to be the judge of that.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:13 AM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times
It's the hat that makes a cowboy a cowboy.

I once watched a bunch of genuine cowboys do some spectacular roping and riding, catching some escaped cows that got out on a highway.

They had all been eating lunch when the cattle got out, and the highway was full of tourists.
None of them was wearing a hat, so the tourists ignored them all.

But when they all went back out on horses later, just to check the fence, wearing hats, all the tourists stopped to take pictures of them doing nothing but riding a horse.

An old cowboy joke:
A tourist once stopped to ask a cowboy a question.
"Why are you wearing those pink tennis shoes?"
"So you won't mistake me for a truck driver."

Old 06-14-2022, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's the hat that makes a cowboy a cowboy.

I once watched a bunch of genuine cowboys do some spectacular roping and riding, catching some escaped cows that got out on a highway.

They had all been eating lunch when the cattle got out, and the highway was full of tourists.
None of them was wearing a hat, so the tourists ignored them all.

But when they all went back out on horses later, just to check the fence, wearing hats, all the tourists stopped to take pictures of them doing nothing but riding a horse.

An old cowboy joke:
A tourist once stopped to ask a cowboy a question.
"Why are you wearing those pink tennis shoes?"
"So you won't mistake me for a truck driver."
So, IOW, not all of those in Wyoming go "hatless" all of the time. A baseball cap can be replaced with a cowboy hat at any time.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:52 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
Whooooshhhhhhh.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming