Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 12,445 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Hope this post doesn't ruffle too many feathers, as thats not the point. If this kind of post isn't allowed I understand, but hope yall dont ban me because I'd like to follow the rules and participate in other ways in the future. I'm a Texan that currently lives in Utah. My time here has been.......interesting.......

When I moved to Utah, I didn't know anything about mormons. There have been a few that I have come to love as individuals, but really don't want to live amongst them as a group. I find that many are very collectivist and have strong moral opinions on how you should live your life and don't have any reservations on big daddy government or the church enforcing those beliefs on you. Community as a whole can be absolutely alienating, as in you are not actually apart of the community, you just happen to be allowed to live there.

I know mormonism floods well into neighboring states. Wyoming is absolutely beautiful and being income tax free is something I am very used to and love. Id like to purchase land in Wyoming and start building my vacation/retirement home, but want to do so in a non mormon majority area. Some counties that interest me are Park, Bighorn, Sheridan, Fremont, Carbon, and Natrona. What percentage of those counties are influenced by the mormon church?

Also... is there an area with a decent amount of single women in their thirties or late twenties?
--------

A bit about me..... I enjoy riding horses, shooting firearms, fishing, hunting, overlanding in the Jeep, camping, hiking, renovating trailers or RV's, the occasional cigar, some tequilla, or maybe a great glass of bourbon. Maybe a puff or two from a forbidden plant. Im a bit of a hippie/outdoorsman/urban cowboy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2023, 04:23 PM

1,252 posts, read 1,102,471 times
My opinion of someone who travels through much of Wyoming heading to South Dakota. Most often I80 to Rawlins, back roads to Casper, I25 to Orin Junction, then over to Lusk and up to Mule Creek Junction and then into South Dakota. Though we've gone across from Idaho Falls into Jackson, over to Dubois and further to eventually Casper. Other options up into Montana, etc. too. We used to live in Layton, UT several years ago, and my wife in Ogden before we met.

Anyway, most towns will have a Ward House. Casper, Cody and Star Valley have Temples. I haven't really noticed a strong Mormon presence in Casper, where we stop often. You'll have to visit to see, but I'd suggest the bigger towns will be more diluted than some small towns that might have a bigger concentration. If the small town has a large Ward House and very small churches of other denominations then I'd guess the influence is stronger there. But again visiting will be key.

Old 11-16-2023, 07:04 PM

251 posts, read 203,248 times
I spent some time this past Summer in the Sheridan area. I did not notice much if any Mormon presence but wasn't looking for it. Seemed mostly Christian-denomination. I rented a house in Buffalo but was in Sheridan at the Y, restaurants, events, library etc. most days of the week. There were definitely more people (men and women) in their 20s and 30s in Sheridan than in Bighorn or Buffalo, some seemed single and others seemed to be coupled up. I expect Casper would have even more given there is more industry and services there for people in that age group.

Some others you didn't mention but that I have experience in- I haven't spent much time in Cody but seems Sheridan-like demographic and religious-wise. Pinedale is really cute, did not notice a Mormon presence but skews much older demographically. I have more experience living in Jackson, where you will also find single people in their 20s and 30s, mostly part-year or full time service and hospitality industry workers though some commute in from Idaho.

Old 11-17-2023, 01:28 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,003,754 times
I am not familiar with the Mormons. I have heard of Later Day Saints? LDS but personally don't know any.
I know certain states like Idaho, Utah, maybe Wyoming has a high population of LDS.

Personally I am of the type don't mess with me and I won't mess with you. I want to live my life to be left alone from people and mind my own business without government intervention or interference.

Don't even think about restricting my firearms rights as well as restrictive laws that are used to create $$$ revenue for government.

Old 11-17-2023, 05:41 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I am not familiar with the Mormons. I have heard of Later Day Saints? LDS but personally don't know any.
I know certain states like Idaho, Utah, maybe Wyoming has a high population of LDS.

Personally I am of the type don't mess with me and I won't mess with you. I want to live my life to be left alone from people and mind my own business without government intervention or interference.

Don't even think about restricting my firearms rights as well as restrictive laws that are used to create $$$ revenue for government.
Mormons and LDS are the same. It's surprising you haven't the term Mormon if you've heard LDS. States like you mentioned don't restrict firearms but in Wyoming it did seem like there was a constant fear of Obama taking them away. He never got a hold of mine though. I guess I slipped through the cracks. I didn't find that a lot of people minded their own business though.

Old 11-17-2023, 10:39 AM

788 posts, read 1,740,442 times
Based on your post and also wanting to meet other single women the only place I could see you would be Laramie/Cheyenne area. You might need to go to Colorado to meetup groups,etc. Those aren't really existent in Wyoming. You meet people at church, bars, work, kids sporting events. Buying land and building on it is it's own can of worms.

Old 11-17-2023, 11:21 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejisme View Post
My opinion of someone who travels through much of Wyoming heading to South Dakota. Most often I80 to Rawlins, back roads to Casper, I25 to Orin Junction, then over to Lusk and up to Mule Creek Junction and then into South Dakota. Though we've gone across from Idaho Falls into Jackson, over to Dubois and further to eventually Casper. Other options up into Montana, etc. too. We used to live in Layton, UT several years ago, and my wife in Ogden before we met.

Anyway, most towns will have a Ward House. Casper, Cody and Star Valley have Temples. I haven't really noticed a strong Mormon presence in Casper, where we stop often. You'll have to visit to see, but I'd suggest the bigger towns will be more diluted than some small towns that might have a bigger concentration. If the small town has a large Ward House and very small churches of other denominations then I'd guess the influence is stronger there. But again visiting will be key.
Cody doesn't have a Temple (yet). There has been significant and well organized local push back for the current location choice by the LDS Church. Although much of the building equipment and supplies are at this time already being stored in town (behind the Y-Tex building which is owned by the same guy who donated the land near the golf course to LDS for the Temple project), they have yet to break ground since there are multiple lawsuits pending.

The sticking point is not the Temple itself but the desired location of the Temple. The issue has predictably served to divide the town in a big way, and there are recent revelations related to impropriety on the part of high level city employees and county commissioners.

Old 11-17-2023, 12:00 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
Based on your post and also wanting to meet other single women the only place I could see you would be Laramie/Cheyenne area. You might need to go to Colorado to meetup groups,etc. Those aren't really existent in Wyoming. You meet people at church, bars, work, kids sporting events. Buying land and building on it is it's own can of worms.
Church works only if you're into old ladies. As far as work, don't dip your pen in the company ink.

Old 11-17-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Mormons and LDS are the same. It's surprising you haven't the term Mormon if you've heard LDS. States like you mentioned don't restrict firearms but in Wyoming it did seem like there was a constant fear of Obama taking them away. He never got a hold of mine though. I guess I slipped through the cracks. I didn't find that a lot of people minded their own business though.
Really? I thought Mormons and LDS were two different religious factions with Utah having a high rate of Mormons. Thanks for that information.

Don't mess with Wyomites and their firearms is my understanding. Idaho is another state but that state has more guns than people which is fine.

Old 11-17-2023, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndak15 View Post
church works only if you're into old ladies. As far as work, don't dip your pen in the company ink.
:d:d:d:d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming