Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 10:10 PM

3,648 posts, read 6,286,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ATexan View Post
It's not a persons religious belief that affects me, its how they enforce their world view onto you. I dont blame you for questioning it, as I would too before moving here. It goes deep into the upbringing of mormon culture and how they are raised. It is a very closed off religion filled with rituals, strict rules, and tasks that aim to create behaivor control, information control, thought control, and emotional manipulation. They heavily use family and communial shame for individuals who do not follow church doctrine. There are even levels of heaven and if you dont abide by church doctrine you are told as a child that you wont be able to see your family in heaven. Bishops will interrogate your 13 year old sons and daughters on their sexual thoughts. They HEAVILY use shunning tactics, entire families cut off their family members for questioning the faith. Its a world that I cant really explain here and its not entirely appropriate to do so. Im just saying, dont totally dismiss my judgement until you totally understand the culture.

Mormons use the government to enforce their morals..for example.
  • Lottery is illegal in Utah. You have to drive to Colorado, Idaho, or Wyoming to participate.
  • It's illegal to have cigars, or any tabacco, shipped to your house. The nearest cigar shop to me is about an hour and 15 minutes away.
  • All liquor stores must be state owned, and no wine is allowed to be sold in grocery stores.
  • Beer used to be capped to 3%. They just recently raised it to 5%
  • Harsh punishments for any drug use
  • No alcohol is permissible to be purchased before 11:30 any day of week, so forget your bloody mary or memosa.
  • Lowest state in the nation for BAC limit of .05%
  • Church members heavily infiltrated in community zoning (this is huge and far too large a topic for just here)
  • Utah BCI is notorious for violating transplant residents their firearm rights. Denying purchases and CHL licenses for arrest records that wouldn't violate them per the constitution. BCI literally reinterpretes other states legal preceedings which goes against article 4 section 1 of the U.S Constitution. They don't care, they feel entitled to do so.
Wow dry counties in Texas and Oklahoma, lot of business closed in the south on Sunday.Lot of your list is in other parts of the Country, not just Utah....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 10:39 PM

400 posts, read 452,813 times
Quote:
It's not a persons religious belief that affects me, it’s how they enforce their world view onto you. I dont blame you for questioning it, as I would too before moving here. It goes deep into the upbringing of mormon culture and how they are raised. It is a very closed off religion filled with rituals, strict rules, and tasks that aim to create behaivor control, information control, thought control, and emotional manipulation. They heavily use family and communial shame for individuals who do not follow church doctrine. There are even levels of heaven and if you dont abide by church doctrine you are told as a child that you wont be able to see your family in heaven. Bishops will interrogate your 13 year old sons and daughters on their sexual thoughts. They HEAVILY use shunning tactics, entire families cut off their family members for questioning the faith. It’s a world that I cant really explain here and it’s not entirely appropriate to do so. Im just saying, dont totally dismiss my judgement until you totally understand the culture.

Sounds like you don’t have to worry about any of that since you’re not a member of their church.

Mormons use the government to enforce their morals..for example.
  • Lottery is illegal in Utah. You have to drive to Colorado, Idaho, or Wyoming to participate.

Sounds horrible. How do you survive?

• It's illegal to have cigars, or any tabacco, shipped to your house. The nearest cigar shop to me is about an hour and 15 minutes away.

Buy your cigars in bulk. You seem to have the dedication to pull this off.

• All liquor stores must be state owned, and no wine is allowed to be sold in grocery stores.

This does sound odd, but how does this negatively impact your life? No wine is sold here in grocery stores, either. And don’t think you’re going to buy beer at any convenience store in Wyoming, either, unless they have a liquor license.

• Beer used to be capped to 3%. They just recently raised it to 5%

So the crisis has been resolved? Or do you think they need to raise it to 6%?

• Harsh punishments for any drug use

Prisons are full because people smoke a bowl of marijuana? How harsh are we talking about here? Is the punishment for smoking marijuana in Utah more harsh than it is in Wyoming (because it’s illegal here as well).

• No alcohol is permissible to be purchased before 11:30 any day of week, so forget your bloody mary or memosa.

Now there’s a deal breaker. If you can’t get hammered for breakfast, then why go on living?

• Lowest state in the nation for BAC limit of .05%

[COLOR="Red”]In Wyoming, it’s 0.08. However, above .05 to 0.079999999, you can still catch a DUI if you exhibit symptoms of intoxication. Why anyone would want to push the envelope on this is beyond my understanding.[/color]

• Church members heavily infiltrated in community zoning (this is huge and far too large a topic for just here)

No comment, I guess

• Utah BCI is notorious for violating transplant residents their firearm rights. Denying purchases and CHL licenses for arrest records that wouldn't violate them per the constitution. BCI literally reinterpretes other states legal preceedings which goes against article 4 section 1 of the U.S Constitution. They don't care, they feel entitled to do so.

Are you talking from personal experience here? This actually sounds interesting and I would like to know more. If not your personal experience, if there’s a news article or two, please post.

I would LOVE for a government agency to violate my civil rights. I believe I could easily find a lawyer to take such a case on a contingency basis and we would both become rich. Such a lawsuit would be filed in federal court, not state court, FYI.

In all seriousness, most of what you’re complaining about just doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. Maybe im missing something. I’m not LDS, but I am surrounded by them and we get along just fine.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:47 PM

eastern Montana , land cheaper, and it miles to your neighbor. but don't see small places 4 sale

Old 11-19-2023, 05:17 AM

16 posts, read 12,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
In all seriousness, most of what you’re complaining about just doesn’t seem like a big deal to me. Maybe im missing something. I’m not LDS, but I am surrounded by them and we get along just fine.
If it doesn't seem like a big deal to you, then Stay Valley sounds perfect for you. For me its like living in California, as what I mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg. When you have a religion as in depth as mormonism, it litterally becomes their lifestyle and personality. Many take it and their world view into everything they do. When they work in government, business, education, or whatever, its there. And since its such a communal and collectivist mindset, so are others and the church.

That being said, I dont mean this to become a mormon bashing post. I just really want to know where they reside in Wyoming and to get an idea in how they influence politics and legislation before I make a huge investment. So far I am advised to stay away from Star Valley, Park, and Bighorn. Sheridan and Casper are on the list of places to check out and get a feel for, especially in winter! Any places that you would like to add to that?

Old 11-19-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jody_wy View Post
eastern Montana , land cheaper, and it miles to your neighbor. but don't see small places 4 sale
Eastern Montana is on the list as well, I even wouldnt mind going as far west as Bozeman. Large parcels aren't an issue unless they are priced like Jackson.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Eastern Montana is on the list as well, I even wouldnt mind going as far west as Bozeman. Large parcels aren't an issue unless they are priced like Jackson.
those large ranches are 50,000, 60,000 acres so they do cost a few million. But you can use those long combine headers. Oh and there Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints around Baker probably Miles City too.

Last edited by jody_wy; 11-19-2023 at 08:44 AM..

Old 11-19-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
If it doesn't seem like a big deal to you, then Stay Valley sounds perfect for you. For me its like living in California, as what I mentioned is just the tip of the iceberg. When you have a religion as in depth as mormonism, it litterally becomes their lifestyle and personality. Many take it and their world view into everything they do. When they work in government, business, education, or whatever, its there. And since its such a communal and collectivist mindset, so are others and the church.

That being said, I dont mean this to become a mormon bashing post. I just really want to know where they reside in Wyoming and to get an idea in how they influence politics and legislation before I make a huge investment. So far I am advised to stay away from Star Valley, Park, and Bighorn. Sheridan and Casper are on the list of places to check out and get a feel for, especially in winter! Any places that you would like to add to that?
And other places to avoid, Riverton, Green River , Laramie, Cheyenne, Torrington, Douglas, Gillette, Moorcroft, Sundance, Cody, Buffalo. Like I said we are everywhere.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Any places that you would like to add to that?
I suppose you could open Google maps in various sections of Wyoming and do a search. Do not search for LDS or Mormon. Enter “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints” and see what happens.

And I am being sincere in this idea and am interested in knowing the results if you do this.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoshWyo View Post
I suppose you could open Google maps in various sections of Wyoming and do a search. Do not search for LDS or Mormon. Enter “Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints” and see what happens.

And I am being sincere in this idea and am interested in knowing the results if you do this.
Yeah I actually did this, problem is it doesnt really show what I'm looking for. I don't care about there not being any mormons, I care about the percentage of total population and how rooted they are in local government. If you do a search for lds church in Texas, they pop up all over the place, yet their influence is negligible. Thats really what im after. I dont care about living next to mormons, I just dont want their cultural norms forced onto me. I dont want to live in a town with such large mormom population that I can feel their dissent and exclusitivity.

Old 11-19-2023, 08:45 AM

Well, I had a moment, so I took my own advice. Mormon churches all over the place. Kaycee doesn’t seem to have one, so there’s that.

I’m guessing that all the places that have LDS churches would also have a bar. And since I’m so full of crappy ideas, maybe call a bar or two. If the bartender isn’t too busy, you could probably learn a lot.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming