Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2023, 10:23 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ATexan View Post
Id like to visit Sheridan and the Casper areas, seems hopeful. Jackson is out of my price range, but would be great with the proximity to the parks.
Billionaires run Jackson and Jackson Hole. Just warning you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2023, 11:33 AM

5,583 posts, read 5,005,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
The official name of the Church you have been referring to as the "Mormon Church" is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There actually is no such thing as the "Mormon Church."
Thanks for that info.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
Or as we love to say, "Montucky"

(Like Kentucky, Montana is a huge state with not many people living in it. At least in close proximity to each other.)

The Romantic view of the wild West is nice, but the reality is tough (having to use literal outhouses or port a potties, dive bars where you can get beaten to death over nonsense, cattle rustlers, wildlife that will gleefully kill you....)

I have to ask, what did you do to the Mormons that made them so upset?

Lastly, visit Wyoming before you relocate. The wackiness has to be experienced first before you choose to live there. I liked it but I'm a "child of the West" so I was unfazed by the weirdness of life there.
Montucky that's a new one I haven't heard of.

"Montana is a huge state with not many people living in it. At least in close proximity to each other".
Now this got my attention because this is what I initially wanted= A place like Wyo., Idaho, Nevada or Montana that has less people per mile low population density. Got priced out of Montana.

But my needs have changed and now I prefer to get the newest to new home because of my age without all of that land that requires maintenance I cannot do as I get older with ailments and physical limitations.

It's like a double edge blade that cuts both ways.
When you have land or more distance between you and your neighbors you have privacy and quiet which is very important to me. That land is a buffer but it must be maintained which is something as previously mentioned I cannot take care of.

Old 11-18-2023, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ATexan View Post
Id like to visit Sheridan and the Casper areas, seems hopeful. Jackson is out of my price range, but would be great with the proximity to the parks.
I am priced out of Cody or Sheridan but because of that I would have to consider Gillette, and Buffalo.

Old 11-18-2023, 01:10 PM

1,706 posts, read 1,147,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
I am priced out of Cody or Sheridan but because of that I would have to consider Gillette, and Buffalo.
Gillette is sweet. A lot of Hispanic petrochem workers are there, most of the local businesses are family owned and I thought it was beautiful.

Houses are modest in Wyoming but no one judges. Everyone wants a cabin or a ranch home.

Old 11-18-2023, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Gillette is sweet. A lot of Hispanic petrochem workers are there, most of the local businesses are family owned and I thought it was beautiful.

Houses are modest in Wyoming but no one judges. Everyone wants a cabin or a ranch home.
I would have loved to have a totally rural area perhaps a ranch home with your closest neighbor 1+ mile away but I cannot maintain the land that will buffer me and give me the privacy, peace n quiet I truly DESIRE and need.

But to sacrifice that space/land, I will settle for a newer home built from 2000 to 2023 that doesn't require lots of work/maintenance where I enjoy the rest of my life in a traffic free zone that is not in a highly congested area.

I don't see a problem with LDS as I am the type of person you leave me alone and I will leave you alone. I will overcome and adapt.

Old 11-18-2023, 04:18 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Or as we love to say, "Montucky"

(Like Kentucky, Montana is a huge state with not many people living in it. At least in close proximity to each other.)

The Romantic view of the wild West is nice, but the reality is tough (having to use literal outhouses or port a potties, dive bars where you can get beaten to death over nonsense, cattle rustlers, wildlife that will gleefully kill you....)

I have to ask, what did you do to the Mormons that made them so upset?

Lastly, visit Wyoming before you relocate. The wackiness has to be experienced first before you choose to live there. I liked it but I'm a "child of the West" so I was unfazed by the weirdness of life there.
That's quite the exaggerated view of Wyoming. Unless I was at a camp site or some sort of Park or other outdoor venue I never used an outhouse. There were plenty of dive bars but no more fights than anywhere else, the odds of getting killed by wildlife are low anywhere, and cattle rustling must have been swept under the rug since I never heard of it. Also not many women were like you described (except maybe the smoking). Most of the ones I knew worked regular jobs or were unemployed or underemployed and looking for a sugar daddy.

I do agree with visiting before relocating and it should be in the winter.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
That's quite the exaggerated view of Wyoming. Unless I was at a camp site or some sort of Park or other outdoor venue I never used an outhouse. There were plenty of dive bars but no more fights than anywhere else, the odds of getting killed by wildlife are low anywhere, and cattle rustling must have been swept under the rug since I never heard of it. Also not many women were like you described (except maybe the smoking). Most of the ones I knew worked regular jobs or were unemployed or underemployed and looking for a sugar daddy.

I do agree with visiting before relocating and it should be in the winter.
Agreed must get the boots to the ground to get a close up look recon.

Old 11-18-2023, 05:09 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Why would anyone’s religious beliefs affect you? Let’s suppose you are surrounded by Mormons, who have intact families, and look like ads for apples? How does that affect you?

Old 11-18-2023, 07:52 PM

16 posts, read 12,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why would anyone’s religious beliefs affect you? Let’s suppose you are surrounded by Mormons, who have intact families, and look like ads for apples? How does that affect you?
It's not a persons religious belief that affects me, its how they enforce their world view onto you. I dont blame you for questioning it, as I would too before moving here. It goes deep into the upbringing of mormon culture and how they are raised. It is a very closed off religion filled with rituals, strict rules, and tasks that aim to create behaivor control, information control, thought control, and emotional manipulation. They heavily use family and communial shame for individuals who do not follow church doctrine. There are even levels of heaven and if you dont abide by church doctrine you are told as a child that you wont be able to see your family in heaven. Bishops will interrogate your 13 year old sons and daughters on their sexual thoughts. They HEAVILY use shunning tactics, entire families cut off their family members for questioning the faith. Its a world that I cant really explain here and its not entirely appropriate to do so. Im just saying, dont totally dismiss my judgement until you totally understand the culture.

Mormons use the government to enforce their morals..for example.
  • Lottery is illegal in Utah. You have to drive to Colorado, Idaho, or Wyoming to participate.
  • It's illegal to have cigars, or any tabacco, shipped to your house. The nearest cigar shop to me is about an hour and 15 minutes away.
  • All liquor stores must be state owned, and no wine is allowed to be sold in grocery stores.
  • Beer used to be capped to 3%. They just recently raised it to 5%
  • Harsh punishments for any drug use
  • No alcohol is permissible to be purchased before 11:30 any day of week, so forget your bloody mary or memosa.
  • Lowest state in the nation for BAC limit of .05%
  • Church members heavily infiltrated in community zoning (this is huge and far too large a topic for just here)
  • Utah BCI is notorious for violating transplant residents their firearm rights. Denying purchases and CHL licenses for arrest records that wouldn't violate them per the constitution. BCI literally reinterpretes other states legal preceedings which goes against article 4 section 1 of the U.S Constitution. They don't care, they feel entitled to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Wyoming