Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:46 PM

75 posts, read 222,566 times

Advertisements

Autimom4ever - I wish you the best of luck in Rock Hill. I for one enjoyed your post. I am hoping to see my house soon and move to Fort Mill. Let us know how it all works out once you have settled in!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2007, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,627 times
It's great that you are writing about your move. My husband and I are planning to move south from Ohio within the next five years and hearing the stories really do help with decisions. Thanks.

Old 07-28-2007, 09:06 PM

268 posts, read 1,109,542 times
Default I'm here .... Moving, settling, etc.

Well, we are here in Rock Hill in our new home. Here is how our last few days went.

Day before move:

My daughter decided to come down with us for awhile and she will think about staying. This made me very happy.
I receive a call from the moving company to confirm time of arrival of moving truck. They said they would be at the home between 8:30 am and 10 am. I was quite upset because they assured and reassured me they would be there at 8:30. I needed to head down to SC by 6 pm due to pet reasons. My parents were going to lock up the home but we needed to be there to show the movers what needed to stay in the home (we were giving some items to the new owners). It was too late to get another mover.

Day of move:
10 am rolls around, the mover hasn't shown up. I call the company and GET AN ANSWERING SERVICE!!! They say they will try to get ahold of the company employees and have them call me. 10:30 am passes, no mover has shown, no call from company. 11am rolls arounds, no mover shows and answering service states no one is returning their calls. I was panicing by now, not knowing if anyone was going to show at all. I did't get ahold of anyone until 11:30!!! I had to leave with the pets, hoping to get to SC by 6:00 to get the pets to the boarding place (we were staying in a hotel that night). My husband and youngest stayed behind to wait for the movers.
They finally show at 11:45 am!!! The movers stated that their first (larger) truck broke down and that they called the warehouse to inform them (the warehouse was supposed to call me but never did). They also stated that their current truck was too small and that they would have to bring in a 2nd truck. The dispatcher told the movers that the truck was on its way (this truck didn't show until 6 pm!!). I asked why two trucks.. the other was larger. They stated that they only had one size truck in their fleet. The owners ended up charging me DOUBLE my estimate.... Mainly due to two trucks. Needless to say, I am fighting this.
We got to SC, but I didn't make the 6 pm time. Luckily the hotel let the pets stay (for an extra charge).

Day of closing: We had to bring the pets with us to the closing. Very inconvenient. The kids stayed outside with them while my husband and I were in settlement with the lawyer. Closing went pretty smooth.

The movers showed at 1 pm WITH 2 DIFFERENT SIZED TRUCKS (hmmm.. the owner stated they only have one size in their fleet). 1 truck full, 1 truck 1/4 full. They would not start unloading until I paid. They refused to take a check (I was NEVER told they did not accept checks). I had to use a credit card .. They unloaded everything and left. I had a lot of emotions that day.
I cried alot. I really don't know why... I knew this move was for the best. Maybe because of the frustration of the moving company and being tired.
Did some unpacking... I really hate this part... So much to do.....

Today (day after).... Actually woke up at 9:30 am... I NEVER wake up past 6 am. I WAS tired. DID MUCH unpacking.... I didn't even get out of my PJ's until 3 pm to take a shower..lol... I had to stop unpacking.. I was getting frustrated.

I'm having a mixture of feelings right now....:

1. I feel stupid about this mover. My parents told me they had 23 complaints already on BBB website and they have only been open since 2005.
I wish I would have researched them before I had them move my stuff.

2. I am feeling out of sorts in a way. Like I don't know where I belong.

3. I feel a little stressed and tired (especially when I look at everything that still needs to be done). All of us are stressed from the move... There is a lot of bickering going on.

4. My youngest is indifferent right now. I little weary of the move but enjoys his much larger bedroom.

As far as differences so far:

1. I'm not seeing a lot of difference in price of food (like I have read in some posts). Some things are more expensive. SOme things are less.

2. The traffic is incredibly less then the DC area. So much more relaxing to drive around here. I did see on my drive to here though, going north from Charlotte get pretty busy during rush hour in the afternoon, but not south.

3. The people are so nice, strangers talking nice to strangers...actually smiling at each other..... What a change....

That is all for now.... I will keep posting about the move

Old 07-28-2007, 09:59 PM
jac

389 posts, read 1,008,873 times
Oh, I feel so bad for you. Let me reassure you that your children will be fine. Encourage them to share their feelings about the move. Then plan things to do that will help all of you feel more settled in your new environment. My son was afraid that his new school wouldn't have a library. So, we visited the school (in the summer) and asked the admin all sorts of questions and toured around the school. We also checked out playgrounds, grocery stores, hiking trails, ice cream shops, etc. This helped all of us feel more settled.

Now, about your move. It sounds like you were scammed. Check out the website called movingscam. (.com) . You will find all sorts of information on what to do if you have been scammed.

Good luck to you!
jac

Old 07-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac View Post
Oh, I feel so bad for you. Let me reassure you that your children will be fine. Encourage them to share their feelings about the move. Then plan things to do that will help all of you feel more settled in your new environment. My son was afraid that his new school wouldn't have a library. So, we visited the school (in the summer) and asked the admin all sorts of questions and toured around the school. We also checked out playgrounds, grocery stores, hiking trails, ice cream shops, etc. This helped all of us feel more settled.

Now, about your move. It sounds like you were scammed. Check out the website called movingscam. (.com) . You will find all sorts of information on what to do if you have been scammed.

Good luck to you!
jac

Thank you for your encouragement

I will check out the website.
I have also contacted BBB.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:18 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,882,877 times
I felt exactly like you did about the move. I knew it was the best for us, but I felt like I didn't know where I belong, I just wanted to go back to NJ. But after awhile I felt so much better. I know my way around, made friends. This feels like home.

When we moved, we rented a truck, and I was having movers come and pack the truck. They were suppose to be there at 9 AM - they didn't show, I called and they told me they got a flat and are on their way. He would call me back, no call and no packers, I called again, they told me he was going to try and get someone else. This was a Sat., my husband had to get everything down to SC and unloaded by Sun. he had to go back to work on Mon. I was totally stressing out & crying. I call the guy back and he said he couldn't send anyone - I totally flipped out, he told me to try and call somewhere else. Where was I going to call and get someone then. We were lucky that we got some family to help us load the truck, but it was hard. I said no more moving - I am done!

Not sure how old you son is, my son is 7 and at first I think he wasn't to sure about it. But he loves it here now - there is so much to do and he has made plenty of friends. It was hard for my son because he started school in March, so this wll be better when he goes back to school with everyone else.

Enjoy - it does get better!

Old 07-29-2007, 08:40 AM

559 posts, read 2,118,288 times
You know, a lot of credit card companies will let you fight an erroneous charge, which sounds like what you have. I'd call my credit card company and talk to them.

Rock Hill is very nice. You and your children will make a lot of new friends, and before you know it, you'll be wondering why you didn't move sooner!

By the way, be sure you go to the local farmer's market; I'm sure there is one somewhere. That will be a nice way for you to relax and get to know your neighbors, so to speak. Your children might enjoy it too.

Good luck, honey. How I wish I were in your shoes right now. I'd give anything to move back home, but my husband won't, so I'm stuck up here right now--at least until he changes his mind, which I continue to pray for.

And you know, school will start soon, probably some time in mid August, so you'll soon have time to take a breath, hopefully. Be sure to go to the Cracker Barrel for lunch or dinner one day too, and buy a couple of rocking chairs while you're there for your porch or sun room; you'll be glad you did when folks start calling on you. You can just sit out there in your rocking chairs with a cold glass of sweetened iced tea with lemon and chat and chat.

Have fun!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcopperkettles View Post
You know, a lot of credit card companies will let you fight an erroneous charge, which sounds like what you have. I'd call my credit card company and talk to them.

Rock Hill is very nice. You and your children will make a lot of new friends, and before you know it, you'll be wondering why you didn't move sooner!

By the way, be sure you go to the local farmer's market; I'm sure there is one somewhere. That will be a nice way for you to relax and get to know your neighbors, so to speak. Your children might enjoy it too.

Good luck, honey. How I wish I were in your shoes right now. I'd give anything to move back home, but my husband won't, so I'm stuck up here right now--at least until he changes his mind, which I continue to pray for.

And you know, school will start soon, probably some time in mid August, so you'll soon have time to take a breath, hopefully. Be sure to go to the Cracker Barrel for lunch or dinner one day too, and buy a couple of rocking chairs while you're there for your porch or sun room; you'll be glad you did when folks start calling on you. You can just sit out there in your rocking chairs with a cold glass of sweetened iced tea with lemon and chat and chat.

Have fun!
Thanks Bright and GJM....

I'm happy to be here..just feel quite lost
I'm sure time will change all that.

Bright..Where are you now?

Old 07-29-2007, 10:54 AM

559 posts, read 2,118,288 times
Honey, I live up in Washington State now; my husband is a retired Seattle firefighter, and his father, who is 90, is also a retired Seattle firefighter. My husband lost his mother last year, and as we speak, he has gone over to visit his father. Because we live on one side of Puget Sound and his dad lives on the other, it takes my husband 2 hours (one way) to drive over to see his dad, but he does this every week; I am very glad he does. No one knows better than I how precious time with parents is; my mother will turn 70 in a week, and it kills me to be this far from her. My daughter, who lives in Charlotte, is getting married to an architect in October; I am missing helping her plan her wedding being this far from her. I can't ask my husband to move because his father is so elderly, and I can't be with my daughter. Oh, and my son will be a senior at Clemson next month.

I love my husband, but if it were not for the fact that my oldest daughter just moved up here (from Florida) to live with us while she establishes herself, I would have already lost my mind. Still, she doesn't plan to stay here forever; I believe when my husband and I move (hopefully home to the South!) someday, she will move as well. I know you feel quite lost right now, but trust me, there are folks who have it much worse than you do right now; just think about me, and you should feel better. Oh, and you can say a few words to the Good Master on my behalf any time... :-)

You'll be right as rain in no time at all, honey. Trust me on this...

Old 07-30-2007, 01:14 PM

Today is the first full weekday that we have been in Rock Hill.

I'm still having a lot of emotions/crying, but it really helped when a neighbor came to visit and welcome us.

My daughter has decided to go back to MD next week
How do you get over when your first child flys the coupe?

I registered my other two for school.

I am learning more and more side road to get to places quicker (without having to get on 77)

Other then that, we didn't do much today.

There is still so much to do.... I'm dreading the car registration part....

Again to all... thank you for reading this and responding with support..
The process is harder emotionally then anything else (or maybe I'm just a whimp)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties