Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 10:18 AM

268 posts, read 1,108,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepping south View Post
I will definitely let you know when we are coming down to look around. I will also check out yorkcountymommies. How is your daughter managing being up here without you? As a mother, I know how hard this is for you. It's like tearing your heart out of your chest. It's so hard to let go, isn't it? I am glad that you're feeling a little better, though.
My daughter is doing ok.... She and her boyfriend and another couple rented townhome for 1400.00/mo!! I don't know how they will do it...
I really miss her.

Thank you for caring and I hope to meet you in the near future!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 06:45 AM

7 weeks and doing much better

This area feels more like home.
I'm getting used to getting around.
My kids seem happy.

So it feels "normal" again.

What I like about here:

People are much nicer
The traffic (although there is traffic going into Charlotte in the am) is not NEARLY as bad as DC AND it flows much smoother.
It's a much more relaxed atmosphere

What I miss about MD:

My daughter
Some family members (but we didn't see each other much anyways)
The great services my autistic son received (hopefully that will come here too... It took time to get them in MD.. I'm sure it will take some time to get it here too)
Some co-workers
That is all.

Thank you all for reading this timeline of my move....
It has been a roller coaster...but it seems to be settling.

Good luck to all that plan to move to the area... It is truely a beautiful/relaxing place.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:10 AM

238 posts, read 1,247,647 times
It's so nice to hear that things are getting better for you & your family! Moving is so traumatic even when you want to move..you lose your "comfort zone". It sounds like you are starting to feel like your new house is "home" which is a turning point. Good luck with getting services for your son! Thanks for sharing with us!

Old 01-16-2008, 07:14 AM

Default 6 months later.......

Well... We have been here 6 months and I have to tell you I am SOOO glad we moved.

Of course there are always ups and downs..but there is anywhere you live.

My youngest has adjusted wonderfully and has made a lot of friends. He is very happy and doing well in school. His teacher is outstanding and communicates very well with parents.

My child with autism is starting (slowly) to get (some) services. I have to admit though, the services where more widespead where we moved from. I really like his schooling though.

My daughter who stayed in Maryland ended up finishing her first semester in the community college there. It was at that time her and her boyfriend broke up. She didn't want to continue living with him and there is NO way a single person with low income and going to a community college full time could live in that area. The lowest "room" (sharing a place) that could be found was 600.00 / mo!! So she moved here.... Not to long ago... She has started a community college here ... SHe is still having moments... Moments of sadness of missing her boyfriend and her friends...

So here is the summary of how it is (or how I feel it is) here:

The people here are so much nicer... They treat you like equals..not always comparing who is better then who (like there).

There is traffic here in the am and pm, but NOTHING like the DC area.

The cost of food, clothes, etc.. is about the same...

The cost of taxes... BIG BIG difference... So much less here... Only downfall is paying for property tax on your car(s) yearly

Car insurance... We pay for 2 cars in one year what 2 cars cost in 2 months there.

Utilities.... A little less... but we have a bigger home now.. so its probably a lot less..

The best part I have noticed.... I used to be stressed to the point of being edgy all the time there... This was due to the congestion, the people, etc...
I am learning to start to slow down and "smell the flowers" some which is definately a learning experience... but a good one... I don't feel the edginess near as much as I did up north..

Now I can only think of 2 downfalls:

1. Smoking... I'm an AVID NON-smoker... the laws up north stated NO smoking in ANY public places... That's not so true here...Go to a restaurant and you get asked, "smoking or non-smoking"... But no matter where you sit (unless it is a large restaurant), you smell the smoke.. I can't go to a Waffle house which is too bad.. good food.. but small..

2. Allergies... They are flaring up more here... Some people get hayfever..
I get a lot of post nasal drip...

All I can say is I will deal with the above "downfalls".. The good WAY outweighs the bad here... Hopefully, the laws will change in the future about smoking...

Have a good day all

Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 PM

7 posts, read 17,922 times
I'm glad things have worked out for you. I grew up in Rock Hill and left for a few years to attend school in Charleston. I love the area and can't wait to be back. The people are very nice and things are just done differently. People may talk slower but they don't think slower! Anyway, your daughter probably just needs time to adjust. I'm only 22 and I left for Charleston at 18 knowing NOBODY so it was hard. Getting a job helps, especially at a restaurant or somewhere that other people her age are working. The worst thing at that age is that you cant count on meeting people at school anymore. Most of the teens in that area have grown up together and its not as easy to meet new people. It won't be long though and she will have friends there too. Tell her to hang in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties