Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 07:17 AM

268 posts, read 1,108,774 times

Advertisements

This may sound pretty crazy, but I was thinking (through all the stress that is going on right now) that it may be a good idea to write daily on "our" move. To write about the daily jobs in the move, the move day, moving into the new house, the duties that need to be accomplished in a move and how we are adjusting to the new area.

I will start as of today (backing up on some things that already happened and keep going for a few weeks on this thread).

If anyone thinks this is ridiculous, I have no problems stopping.

I thought it would be fun and may help others who are planning to move to the area from out of state soon.

So here I go:

A little background: We are moving from Maryland. I have a husband and 3 kids. My husband has lived here all of his life but I have moved around alot (have lived in SC before, but in Oconee Co). My oldest just turned 18, I have a 16 year old autistic child (the 1st two are from a previous marriage) and a 9 year old boy. We decided to move for many reasons: Cost of living, rude people, traffic with a lot of road rage, and the public school system.

We put our house on the market in Feb., 2007 and I put a contingency contract down on the new home in Rock Hill. The home we built there would cost about 700K here in Maryland. The cost isn't even close.
We looked at MANY new home communities in Fort Mill, Rock Hill, Lancaster and Meck. Co. We picked this one because of the lot size and the type of house that "fits us". I did see that many new home communities (with a great and patient realtor!!) in the area had small lot sizes. My husband would not deal with being able to reach out of your window and touch your neighbors house..lol

Made about 3-4 trips to Rock Hill to visit the schools, talk to the special needs department, meet my "to be" new boss and meet the superintendant of the new home.

Meanwhile, in Maryland, we are getting a LOT of showings (mainly in the spring/summer) but no bites. Many homes in our current community are on the market (about 12...today it is 15). We had to lower our price a total of 24K and we had to pay closing costs.

At the same time, the home in Rock Hill was past contingency and I had to drop the contingency (risk losing my earnest money deposit if we didn't sell up here)... This was about 3 weeks ago..Talking about high stress

Our home finally sold and the closing was on Monday. We have been vigorously packing (my husband more then me.. he stopped working last week.. I'm still working up to the last day in Maryland).

My oldest decided to stay in Maryland for "boyfriend" reasons. She will be living with him and his family. She had a car but we have to take it. She has gotten 3 tickets and got into an accident all in 6 months. Needless to say, her insurance would be 340.00/mo. She said she can't do it. So she will have to rely on her boyfriend and his family. I told her she can come whenever she is ready. I will have a plane ticket ready.
I am very sad about this....very sad

My autistic child is indifferent about the move. I think he is glad he will be closer to his father's family (which is a VERY large family in western SC).

My 9 year old is excited and nervous. He worries me. I think he will have the hardest time adjusting.

My husband is excited about his 2-car finished garage and being close to Lowe's motor speedway. (I'm sure he'll be there alot).

Me, I'm excited, nervous and stressed. It takes A LOT of phone calls to move. Turn off this and that here, turn on this and that there. Deposit here, deposit there (for utilities). Now, I am seeing a big chunk will go out for our vehicles for taxes. We won't tag my daughters car (hopefully she will move soon).

I'm also researching furniture stores (does anyone have any ideas for good / inexpensive furniture in the area?).

Luckily, I work in a position where there is a lot of down time I am able to do all this. You would not see my husband on the phone coordinating all the logistics of the move. He's the "packer man".

Well... Today is Tues. and we are closing on the new home on Friday.
The salesperson has been sending me pictures periodically on the home which has been great.
We will not have grass (it is seeded.. and from what I hear.. that is a joke)and they forgot to finish the garage (but now they are working on it...my husband flipped about that)...
but other then that, things are flowing ok. If I have a question, it is answered the same day.. I like that. It's hard to do things from afar.

We are leaving Maryland with pets on Thursday and putting them in a boarding place for a few days in Rock Hill and closing the next day.
Thank goodness I don't start in SC for a few weeks....

So what do you all think? Should I keep going, or stop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 07:46 AM

Ooops.. I just realized... I spelled diary wrong...DAIRY!!! lol

Old 07-24-2007, 08:32 AM

11 posts, read 40,615 times
Hi there.. It seems that we are in the same situation as you are! I to am from Md., but live in De. We put our house on the market a week ago friday and sold in less than a week! Much to our surprise. That came sooner than I could get a mortgage for the new house, which we are scrambling to get as I write this !! Hubby is working and I am home with the 2 yr. old packing and selling everything I can on Craigslist!! So the phone and emails are crazy!!
On top of all of that , my mom is in Myrtle beach and is selling her house to move with us !! Hopefully that will take a little while longer than mine did !
I need to breath for a few minutes before I have that to take care of !!
We are closing on this house on the 3rd. and will be going down as soon as that is done. Whew! I think my head is spinning!!

Old 07-24-2007, 09:23 AM

What area are you moving to?

Good luck on the move and I'm glad you could sell that quick.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:43 AM

We are moving to Johnsonville, about an hour west of MB

Old 07-25-2007, 06:25 AM

Default 1 more day to the move.....

Here I sit at work...

My last day in Maryland. Everything is just about packed.
The house is "almost" all clean for new owners.

The emotions are all over the place (I am not a good one for change).
Drove to work crying (especially because my daughter is not coming). Going through this horrible traffic (with people being rude) makes me want to go ahead and leave today.

I think my biggist problem tomorrow will be leaving my daughter behind (with her boyfriend). I know she is 18, but she is still my baby girl.

I typically work an 8 am - 8 pm shift, but I am trying to leave early so I can finish up last minute stuff.

Thanks to all of you for allowing me to write this, it really helps.

I probably won't post until Friday (when we are in our new home and the DSL is running). Our computer at home is packed up.

Wish me luck/Pray for me

Old 07-25-2007, 06:54 AM

I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you . I am leaving 2 sons and a grandson behind so I can sure feel your pain. Mine are going down with us to help with the move.
What part of Md. are you leaving?
Have a safe trip

Old 07-25-2007, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camuxo View Post
I hope everything continues to go smoothly for you . I am leaving 2 sons and a grandson behind so I can sure feel your pain. Mine are going down with us to help with the move.
What part of Md. are you leaving?
Have a safe trip
We are leaving Gaithersburg - in Montgomery County.

Thanks for you well wishes

Old 07-25-2007, 07:18 AM

168 posts, read 694,903 times
Moving is stressful, long distance moving is even more stressful. Best of luck to you over the next couple of days. I hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:14 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autimom4ever View Post
Here I sit at work...

My last day in Maryland. Everything is just about packed.
The house is "almost" all clean for new owners.

The emotions are all over the place (I am not a good one for change).
Drove to work crying (especially because my daughter is not coming). Going through this horrible traffic (with people being rude) makes me want to go ahead and leave today.

I think my biggist problem tomorrow will be leaving my daughter behind (with her boyfriend). I know she is 18, but she is still my baby girl.

I typically work an 8 am - 8 pm shift, but I am trying to leave early so I can finish up last minute stuff.

Thanks to all of you for allowing me to write this, it really helps.

I probably won't post until Friday (when we are in our new home and the DSL is running). Our computer at home is packed up.

Wish me luck/Pray for me

well, your in the home stretch now....best of luck (and prayers) to you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties