Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 08:53 PM

1,105 posts, read 4,573,361 times

Advertisements

I know that at Orchard Park where my son goes, we are not allowed to send food with the kids (other than lunch) but I do believe they celebrate birthdays. At least they have them listed on a calendar that comes home. And while it is now called a fall festival, my son did come home with a book that was Halloween based so I honestly don't think it is as strict as some people make it out to be. You have to remember that they will never be able to please everyone so they do need to keep holidays and celebrations as sort of neutral as possible. I know plenty of Christians that would boycott the school district if the school did decide to have a "Halloween" festivals so why is it any different when folks from other religions don't want Christmas or Easter stressed so much.

The food rules have more to do with allergies and food contaminations than anything else. I know I personally have gotten sick much more from friends homecooked meals than I ever have from store bought or restaurant prepared food. Not that I wouldn't eat my best friend's cupakes but just trying to get you to see it from the schools point of view. I understand. It certainly not the end of the world if our kids have a few less cupcakes this year . And people love to make fun of it but a severe peanut allergy is not just a runny nose, it can and often is deadly. Most people I know aren't the best about reading labels and there are lots of ingredients made in the same facilities as peanut products. Again, look at it from the view of if it were your child with that deadly peanut allergy.

Also, at Orchard Park (can't speak for the other schools) we also can't or we are not supposed to walk them to the classroom and they do encourage all communication to be written so that they have a record of it (which is completely understandable to me).

It is a bit of a stretch comparing the public school districts to a military school simply because we can't bring cupcakes to school anymore or you can't just go talk to the teacher whenever you want. Teachers already have alot on their plates and don't need to have zillions of unscheduled interruptions. I think the purpose is to be as efficient and seamless with the kid's educations as possible. After all, they are at school for an education with a little bit of socialization thrown in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties