Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 10:08 PM

16 posts, read 27,294 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I believe my husband and I have narrowed it down that we'll be moving to either the Fort Mill/Tega Cay area or Indian Land. We have 3 kids (10 and under) and have looked in the areas where the schools fall in to the 8+ rating as per GreatSchools.com. I wanted to get some feedback as far as what all of you thought were pro/cons to those specific areas. We haven't been too far around in Indian Land; we were down there recently and visited Legacy Park and it seemed nice--just couldn't get a feel for the surroundings and what's around it as Fort Mill seemed to have everything right around the corner.

If you could provide some pros/cons on those 2 areas we'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 08:37 PM

96 posts, read 219,476 times
I think the schools in Fort Mill/tega Cay are much better (york county). In fact they are best in state.

I love the proximity of Ballyntyne to Indian Land, but fort mill isn't that far.

We chose to live in fort mill for the schools.

Old 11-29-2014, 03:41 PM

351 posts, read 656,560 times
The schools in IL aren't quite as good as FM, but they're still good. Housing is going to be cheaper in IL too. I think first and foremost, I would consider the job commute.

Old 11-30-2014, 01:44 PM

16 posts, read 27,294 times
I work remotely so my job won't matter so much. My husband is currently an auto mechanic but might make a job change (not sure yet). In Indian Land where we're looking the schools are rated 9s which are similar to the Ft. Mill schools so I'm happy either way. Just wasn't sure if there were any other pros or cons to either of those areas. I get the sense that closer to the Tega Cay area it's kind of an "up and coming" area where everyone desires to be, and in Indian Land I'm thinking maybe you get more house/yard for your money.

Old 11-30-2014, 04:15 PM

33 posts, read 61,184 times
We relocated to Indian Land this summer and have been very happy. I have one child in High School and one in Elementary School and have been very pleased. The schools are smaller in size in IL which I like - but that will be changing soon I am sure as the IL area is growing rapidly - and as FM becomes over saturated I anticipated the growth will shift even more significanly to IL. When looking on Great Schools and other sites - do not look at Lancaster Co. Schools as a whole - look at the specific school your children will be attending. The individual schools within the district vary greatly. In my opinion the advantage to IL is accessibility. IL is extremely convenient to Ballentyne and Blakeney - which provides easy access to retail, medical and restaurants.

Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 PM

351 posts, read 656,560 times
I love Tega Cay, but it's on the west side of Fort Mill further away from I-77, so it takes some time in the mornings and evenings coming to and from if your husband needs the interstate. You will definitely get more house and yard for your money in Indian Land. We've been renting in FM for the past 3 years, hoping to buy a house in the next couple, but IL is too far of a drive to my husband's job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarylandCrabs View Post
I work remotely so my job won't matter so much. My husband is currently an auto mechanic but might make a job change (not sure yet). In Indian Land where we're looking the schools are rated 9s which are similar to the Ft. Mill schools so I'm happy either way. Just wasn't sure if there were any other pros or cons to either of those areas. I get the sense that closer to the Tega Cay area it's kind of an "up and coming" area where everyone desires to be, and in Indian Land I'm thinking maybe you get more house/yard for your money.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:34 PM

31 posts, read 43,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gapeach69 View Post
I love Tega Cay, but it's on the west side of Fort Mill further away from I-77, so it takes some time in the mornings and evenings coming to and from if your husband needs the interstate. You will definitely get more house and yard for your money in Indian Land. We've been renting in FM for the past 3 years, hoping to buy a house in the next couple, but IL is too far of a drive to my husband's job.

Is Indian Land a better commute to Uptown then Tega Cay? Ive been looking at the same area and am trying to figure out the major differences between the areas. Any help would be awesome!

Old 12-06-2014, 06:52 AM

547 posts, read 774,340 times
Major differences between the two: Tega Cay is built around a 27 hole golf course and surrounded by a lake.

Old 12-06-2014, 04:00 PM

186 posts, read 335,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz36 View Post
Is Indian Land a better commute to Uptown then Tega Cay? Ive been looking at the same area and am trying to figure out the major differences between the areas. Any help would be awesome!
It will all matters on what time you plan on being at work. I'm off Gold Hill Road; and leave work around 6:30am and it normally takes me about 30 minutes to get to work (I work just north of Uptown). When I lived off of 521 in Indian Land; I would have to leave the house between 6:15 and 6:20 to get to work at the same time.

The widening of 485 should help with some of the travel time from Indian Land to Uptown; but the fact that 521 is getting more congested means that any savings from the widening of 485 will be lost as you spend more time waiting on 521 going north.

Psy

Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 43,701 times
My wife and I looked at Tega Cay briefly when we first started to look to move from Union County to SC. Most of the neighborhoods we liked we felt were too far from things to make it seem worth living in the area. I loved the close procimity to the lake but I also didn't want to have to drive 15 minutes to run and and grab milk. We ended up buying in Indian Land. We really liked it's close proximity to things with a number of grocery stores and restaurants within minutes, Ballantyne is about 10-15 minutes away during non rush hours. It just seemed to fit our lifestyle better. Maybe if we didn't have two young kids we would have preferred Tega Cay but for where we are right now Indian Land was the best choice. There's lots of great areas in Fort Mill too but two of our three favorite neighborhoods were in Indian Land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties