Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 AM

98 posts, read 286,479 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, we moved here from Maryland a few months back and have been missing the summer tradition of picking crabs and drinking beer. Anyone know if there are any seafood shops, markets in the area that sell male blue crabs?

Thanks for the info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 05:34 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,554,925 times
As a native Baltimorean, I eat crabs whenever I take a business trip to D.C. [the closest I get]

For God's sake don't order the crabcakes here either.

There is one good grad dish in the lowcountry, she-crab soup -- but I feel guilty about it because my dad always said they would throw back the females, not eat them, in Maryland.

I miss it too, I have fond memories of laying newspaper all over the table and having a mess of crabs and even the kids got some beer. I also remember driving home as a kid and hearing the crabs climbing around in the bag and then them trying to climb out of the cooking pot. Your best bet may be to order them live and have them shipped in.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:12 AM

39 posts, read 143,347 times
I know exactly what you mean. Crabs are few and far between down here and when you find them, they are usually in a bread filled crabcake. I was just home in DC/MD a couple weeks ago and took time to indulge in fresh crab. YUMM!! Had some great softshell crabs as well. There is a restaurant in Prince Frederick, MD that will ship you fresh seafood and the guy who owns it is AMAZING! If you are interested in getting in touch with him, send me a message and I'll pass along his name and number. I haven't ordered from him, but I was so impressed by his establishment and his food that I wouldn't think twice about doing it.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:53 PM

259 posts, read 798,249 times
Ah... just thinking about Maryland blue crabs has my mouth watering!! Our family traditions were also crabs on newspaper and beer!!

For the last number of years I have been ordering steamed Maryland blue crab from crabplace.com on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay! They are expensive, but when you just have to have them, you do it!!

They are very efficient and ship them well. I got them in NY before I moved here last August. I just had a shipment two weeks ago and they were GOOD!

There is a VIP club which you can join once a year and then your basic shipping is free for the year. If you order more frequently than once a year, it can pay to join.

Look them up. They have a very good website! Enjoy!

Old 07-04-2008, 06:58 AM

We went to a concert last night and a small local restaurant in the NoDa district had "Maryland Blue Crabcakes" on the menu.

Once again, thought I would try. WRONG - shredded and breaded, they don't get it.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:40 AM

245 posts, read 1,019,943 times
We were just back in MD last weekend and had a bushel of crabs...YUMMY!

We live in Lancaster and have gotten live blue crabs from Market Seafood on Market St. Here's their number: 803-289-7292. When we got them they were really good and fresh. The only thing that I didn't like was we had to get them in the middle of the week. That's when their stuff came in. It's been a couple of years since we've done it, but it's worth a shot.

As far as good crabcakes, try Harry & Jeans in Uptown. A little pricey but really good and authentic. There is one in Rock Hill too, but I have never been to that location.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:07 AM

444 posts, read 1,250,840 times
Good thread...I'm moving to SC (Rock Hill) in a few weeks from MD. I know a few places up here do ship...Do they sell Old Bay down there?

Old 07-05-2008, 03:17 PM

Yes, no problem with that - I have found it in all the grocery stores.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:21 PM

850 posts, read 2,651,415 times
Also the UTZ chips... The CRAB chips ROCK!

Old 07-05-2008, 08:15 PM

259 posts, read 798,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamrasc View Post
We were just back in MD last weekend and had a bushel of crabs...YUMMY!

We live in Lancaster and have gotten live blue crabs from Market Seafood on Market St. Here's their number: 803-289-7292. When we got them they were really good and fresh. The only thing that I didn't like was we had to get them in the middle of the week. That's when their stuff came in. It's been a couple of years since we've done it, but it's worth a shot.

As far as good crabcakes, try Harry & Jeans in Uptown. A little pricey but really good and authentic. There is one in Rock Hill too, but I have never been to that location.
Thanks for the info on the live blue crabs. Do you know how big they were and approximately how much they were? I realize this was a few years ago.

I am always afraid to try crab cakes in a restaurant not in Maryland, but I will try the ones at Harry and Jeans. Their Rock Hill location is very good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties