Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:15 AM

10 posts, read 56,978 times

Advertisements

Both property tax and personal tax seem to be higher in S.C. We visited Fort Mill this past weekend and was surprised that the property tax would be over 3,000 on a 300K home.

We'd like to stay just over the boarder in SC due to taxes and schools. NC seems to be strugling greatly with their very large school districts.
We did check out Charlotte/Clover/Tega Cay back in Feb. too. Nice areas, but too far from mountain/foothill areas for me. Fort Mill definitely booming with growth, both in housing and retail. Also, did Asheville/Hendersonville/Brevard, love Asheville (a bit $$ though), Henderson quite quaint as is Brevard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2006, 12:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,214,131 times
hey there bxdiva: you mention that both property tax and personal tax seem to be higher in S.C.....My question is...Higher than where? As you go on to say you want to stay just over the boarder in SC due to the taxes and schools (sorry I am still confused).

Taxes will differ depending on where you are looking...they even differ between Tega Cay and Fort Mill (and Fort Mill Township), or depending on what county you are looking at (like Union Cnty and Meck Cnty in NC)

I am located in York County and while we do have rolling hills we do happen to be exactly an hour from Hickory, NC and exactly 2 hours from Blowing Rock, NC (York County is within the Piedmont region)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxdiva View Post
Both property tax and personal tax seem to be higher in S.C. We visited Fort Mill this past weekend and was surprised that the property tax would be over 3,000 on a 300K home.

We'd like to stay just over the boarder in SC due to taxes and schools. NC seems to be strugling greatly with their very large school districts.
We did check out Charlotte/Clover/Tega Cay back in Feb. too. Nice areas, but too far from mountain/foothill areas for me. Fort Mill definitely booming with growth, both in housing and retail. Also, did Asheville/Hendersonville/Brevard, love Asheville (a bit $$ though), Henderson quite quaint as is Brevard.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:20 PM

Hello,
the bottom half of the post was actually from someone elses comment that I was responding to. I was comparing the tax rate to Meck Cty and also Union cty which seems to be fairly low. We visited The reserve at Gold Hill in Ft Mill and we loved it but most models we inquired about started about 300K and taxes would be 3,000 and up.

Old 08-30-2006, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Hello,
the bottom half of the post was actually from someone elses comment that I was responding to. I was comparing the tax rate to Meck Cty and also Union cty which seems to be fairly low. We visited The reserve at Gold Hill in Ft Mill and we loved it but most models we inquired about started about 300K and taxes would be 3,000 and up.
Okay...thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I don't live in the Reserve but I am a little surprised at that figure (not doubting at all what you are tellling me...just a little surprised)...due to the fact that I live in Tega Cay where the taxes are slightly higher than where the Reservere is located (Fort Mill Township...not the town of Fort Mill) and mine are not that high (although we did just get a new assessment this year ). Your right Union County has some of the lowest taxes around...but as things continue to grow out there...those taxes too will increase (it is starting already). Same things holds true for the Charlotte area...there is the unincorperated areas, versus the city of Charlotte, and Meck. County... all the property taxes will vary depending on location. More than likely you have already verified the property tax figure you were quoted on the SC tax board site...so where might you be looking at now?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:50 PM

117 posts, read 416,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
I couldn't find anything. Where is it?

Beautiful place, I love it but $$$.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:20 AM

Hi there,

The salesperson @ the reserve quoted the range and I compared it to the SC tax rate from the assessors office and it seems to check out. Now tell me, what is the difference between Ft Mill township and the town. I like the laid back feel of Ft Mill and we will most likely visit again hopefully I can see Centex's Spicewood sub the next time we come. It was just a pile of red dirt when we visited . The other area we will focus on looking in is Union cty and perhaps as far as Cabarrus cty. The homes in the 2500+sf range seem to be steadily in the 280-300K ballpark. DH and I drove by Indian Land but decided this is too far out for us. We liked Ft M because of location, the feel we got, and good schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethecarolinas View Post
Okay...thank you very much for clearing that up for me. I don't live in the Reserve but I am a little surprised at that figure (not doubting at all what you are tellling me...just a little surprised)...due to the fact that I live in Tega Cay where the taxes are slightly higher than where the Reservere is located (Fort Mill Township...not the town of Fort Mill) and mine are not that high (although we did just get a new assessment this year ). Your right Union County has some of the lowest taxes around...but as things continue to grow out there...those taxes too will increase (it is starting already). Same things holds true for the Charlotte area...there is the unincorperated areas, versus the city of Charlotte, and Meck. County... all the property taxes will vary depending on location. More than likely you have already verified the property tax figure you were quoted on the SC tax board site...so where might you be looking at now?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:42 AM

1,126 posts, read 3,855,438 times
Quote:
Hi there,

The salesperson @ the reserve quoted the range and I compared it to the SC tax rate from the assessors office and it seems to check out. Now tell me, what is the difference between Ft Mill township and the town. I like the laid back feel of Ft Mill and we will most likely visit again hopefully I can see Centex's Spicewood sub the next time we come. It was just a pile of red dirt when we visited . The other area we will focus on looking in is Union cty and perhaps as far as Cabarrus cty. The homes in the 2500+sf range seem to be steadily in the 280-300K ballpark. DH and I drove by Indian Land but decided this is too far out for us. We liked Ft M because of location, the feel we got, and good schools.
Any other advice? Where leaving tomorrow morning to go to Fort Mill.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:59 AM

Sorry, we were actually visiting friends who live in Matthews, NC and spent most of our time there we only crossed the border to feel things out. S.C. just feels more southern in general it's a little less busy than NC. We ate lunch at Long John Silvers so nothing to write "home" about. Good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Any other advice? Where leaving tomorrow morning to go to Fort Mill.

Old 08-31-2006, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Hi there,

Okay I am going to try my best to explain the difference between the two...so bear with me If you take a look at the link I have provided below (FMSD) it will show a section on the map that reads Fort Mill...the area in the pink (or mauve ) color is the Town of Fort Mill....all the remaining area in gray is the Township. The children all attend the FMSD no matter what part they are in. One of the differences between the two: the Fort Mill Police Dept. services the Town, while the York County Sheriffs Dept. handles the Township. Taxes are "suppose" to be a little different between the two due to the Town paying for more services? Tega Cay just annexed some of the land...while the town of Fort Mill has done the same (I would imagine over a period of time one or the other Fort Mill/or Tega Cay will annex all of the land but that will take some time).

It should not take that long before Spicewood is completed..they seem to be moving pretty fast. Hope you get to check out the area again sometime! Take care

fort-mill.k12.sc.us/School%20Maps/School%20Maps.htm

Old 11-16-2006, 05:11 AM

14 posts, read 40,023 times
Default What about Indian Land schools & taxes

Frank here; relocating to SC next year
Can anyone give me some comfort about Indian Land( really Lancaster County) schools- don't want the crowds in Union-or at least can someone confirm they are building new ones?
Also, does anyone know about taxes in Indian Land
This seems like a nice close knit community that is growing with reasonable prices
Am I missing something??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties