Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties
 [Register]
York and Lancaster Counties Rock Hill - Fort Mill - York - Tega Cay - Lancaster
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 44,982 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

My husband and I moved to the Charlotte metro area yesterday because he got a great new job. He is working up near the airport and I will be attending York Technical College to earn my degree. So, we were considering renting a place in Fort Mill since it seems like a reasonable halfway point between the two.

So, we drive to the hotel last night (we're NOT staying in Fort Mill - we're up near the airport) and we drove through some pretty shady neighborhoods while we were trying to find a place to eat that was open. This morning, I found this website and read all of the horror stories about senseless acts of violence that seem to happen in Charlotte. Can someone tell me if this is the case south of the border?

I am not ignorant - I realize that there is crime and violence everywhere in this world and that no area is immune to that. But, I have lived in enough places to know that some areas are more prone to crime than others. Plus, I felt so comfortable with this move because everyone we talked to about the Charlotte area had nothing but good things to say about it - I was caught a little off-guard by the whole situation.

Can someone suggest areas in Fort Mill that have a good reputation - or perhaps name some areas to avoid?

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 11:17 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,860,868 times
Search this forum for apartment discussions, there have been several a while ago.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:01 PM

850 posts, read 2,652,523 times
Do not be worried. The airport area is the hood! FM is very nice...

Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,455,735 times
Fort Mill is about as safe an area as you will find in the whole region. You will be fine there. I moved here about a year ago and its extremely peaceful and safe. Welcome to Charlotte.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM

329 posts, read 1,272,438 times
I'd check out Peachtree Apartment/Town homes. They are in a nice established area near 77, close to grocery stores etc. I don't live their yet, but I have looked at all of the apartments in the Fort Mill/Lake Wylie area and I liked these the best for the floor plan, patio, etc.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:32 PM

225 posts, read 690,044 times
You might also want to check out the Palmetto Place Apartments.
Palmetto Place Apartments, Fort Mill, SC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local
They are located near several food places, supermarkets and Super Walmart.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:50 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,974,480 times
You and your husband will be fine ... no need to be nervous ... Fort Mill is a good area. Another thing to consider, if you plan to attend York Tech, check out their tuition fees for York County residents vs Out-of-State residents.

Old 09-03-2008, 06:44 AM

149 posts, read 581,849 times
I think Charlotte has a pretty normal crime rate, I just think the media covers it a lot more than they do in larger cities. I grew up near Chicago and sure there was crime, but you didn't hear about every individual case because unfortunately there were so many. The media had other material to report on. Since Charlotte is still a smaller city, the media runs out of things to report on. Wait till a hurricane hits the coast, or there is a ice storm warning... that will be all you hear about for days!!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:33 AM

14 posts, read 44,982 times
Thanks to everyone who replied!

I think beachbumssb is right - perhaps the media doesn't have anything better to report. Last night, I compared Charlotte's crime rate to other cities I've lived in and it's fairly comparable. I guess I just overreacted....thankfully.

Thanks for the apartment referrals. We've decided that we are probably going to go with a townhouse, so I've been checking out Craigslist and other resources for vacancies. We're probably going to take a drive down to Fort Mill tonight to get a feel for the area and see if there are any rentals that are not listed online.

CarolinaWoman - unfortunately, I will have to pay the out-of-state tuition for the first year regardless of if I live in York county. It kind of sucks to have to pay almost $300 per credit hour, but I'm already in my mid-30's and don't want to wait any longer to continue my education. It's already intimidating enough to be in a classroom full of 18-year-olds - it's then that I'm grateful for online classes!!

Thanks again for everyone's help - if you have any more advice, it would be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 AM

149 posts, read 581,849 times
I think you will be surprised at the age range at York Tech. My husband went back a few years ago and said that there was more students his age than he thought there would be. A lot of people go there to finish up school that they started and did not finish or just go for continued education.

Good luck with your search tonight, Fort Mill is a great area! If my hubby and I ever sell our house, we plan on heading that direction!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > York and Lancaster Counties