Colorado City, Arizona
Colorado City: Colorado city cliffs
Colorado City: Garden
Colorado City: city scene 1
Colorado City: Near city's edge
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||16.2 years|
|Arizona median age:||36.8 years|
Zip codes: 86021.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $6,878 (it was $5,293 in 2000)
Colorado City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $205,606 (it was $94,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $153,626; Detached houses: $188,791; Townhouses or other attached units: $261,257; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $96,735; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $102,406; Mobile homes: $51,687; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $60,032
Median gross rent in 2013: $807.
Races in Colorado City, AZ (2010)
- 4,78399.2%White alone
- 40.08%Black alone
- 40.08%Two or more races
- 10.02%American Indian alone
- 10.02%Asian alone
|Anyone ever go to Colorado City? (9 replies)|
|Arizona is meant for the self reliant (108 replies)|
|Best place to move to? Mohave County, southern AZ? (22 replies)|
|How tolerant are people in Flagstaff (18 replies)|
|Will be traveling from the Grand Canyon North Rim to San Diego (via Phoenix) (14 replies)|
|Difference between Alabama and Arizona (28 replies)|
Latest news from Colorado City, AZ collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (60.0%), German (17.6%), Irish (5.1%), Scottish (3.7%), United States (2.8%), Swedish (2.6%).
Current Local Time: MST (no DST) time zone
Incorporated in 1985
Elevation: 4979 feet
Land area: 10.5 square miles.
Population density: 458 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Colorado City:
- High school or higher: 54.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.5%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Colorado City town:
- Never married: 49.7%
- Now married: 35.9%
- Separated: 3.6%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 2.8%
30 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Arizona and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Colorado City, Arizona as of October 08, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Colorado City to the number of sex offenders is 2,415 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $1,223 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Sunrise Manor, NV (128.6 miles , pop. 156,120).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Las Vegas, NV (136.2 miles , pop. 478,434).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (244.8 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Hildale, UT (1.0 miles ), Centennial Park, AZ (1.6 miles ), Cane Beds, AZ (2.4 miles ), Apple Valley, UT (3.3 miles ), Rockville, UT (3.6 miles ), Moccasin, AZ (3.7 miles) , Springdale, UT (3.7 miles ), Kaibab, AZ (4.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 23 buildings, average cost: $132,300
- 1998: 24 buildings, average cost: $108,300
- 1999: 20 buildings, average cost: $124,400
- 2000: 23 buildings, average cost: $140,100
- 2001: 20 buildings, average cost: $136,200
- 2002: 24 buildings, average cost: $137,400
- 2003: 28 buildings, average cost: $137,100
- 2004: 33 buildings, average cost: $137,200
- 2005: 40 buildings, average cost: $137,200
- 2006: 39 buildings, average cost: $137,200
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $80,900
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $80,900
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 36.99 N, Longitude: 112.98 W
Area code: 928
|Crime rates in Colorado City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 301.7)||15.4||25.8||25.7||1.8||15.4||9.9||21.9||27.0||46.0||88.4|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Colorado City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.03|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (32%)
- Manufacturing (17%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (11%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (4%)
- Educational services (22%)
- Retail trade (22%)
- Health care and social assistance (15%)
- Manufacturing (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Transportation occupations (20%)
- Production occupations (19%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (17%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (11%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (8%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (6%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
Average climate in Colorado City, Arizona
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Colorado City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Arizona state average. It is 567% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 278.6 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 258.7 miles away from Colorado City center
On 7/21/1952 at 11:52:14, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 363.9 miles away from the city center, causing $50,000,000 total damage
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 344.1 miles away from the city center
On 12/21/1932 at 06:10:09, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 298.3 miles away from Colorado City center
On 5/19/1940 at 04:36:40, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 302.6 miles away from the city center, causing $33,000,000 total damage
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Mohave County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 5, Drought: 1, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Colorado City:
- Colorado City Municipal Airport (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 240, Itinerant Ops: 3,500, Local Ops: 1,600, Military Ops: 50)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Colorado City:
- Dixie State University (about 34 miles; Saint George, UT; Full-time enrollment: 6,485)
- Southern Utah University (about 48 miles; Cedar City, UT; FT enrollment: 6,522)
- Nevada State College (about 130 miles; Henderson, NV; FT enrollment: 2,346)
- Mohave Community College (about 133 miles; Kingman, AZ; FT enrollment: 3,309)
- University of Nevada-Las Vegas (about 135 miles; Las Vegas, NV; FT enrollment: 21,153)
- College of Southern Nevada (about 138 miles; Las Vegas, NV; FT enrollment: 18,996)
- Northern Arizona University (about 146 miles; Flagstaff, AZ; FT enrollment: 22,494)
Public elementary/middle school in Colorado City:
- El Capitan Public School (Students: 477; Location: PO BOX 309; Grades: PS-10)
Notable location: Colorado City Fire Station (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Isaac Carling Memorial Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Reservoirs: Short Creek Southside Number Two (A), Short Creek Reservoir Number Two (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 68.6. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 44.3. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 14.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.58. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.3 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Colorado City and their reported violations in the past:HILDALE - COLORADO CITY (Serves UT, Population served: 5,000, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between OCT-2010 and DEC-2010, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (FEB-12-2011), St Public Notif requested (FEB-12-2011)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2010 and SEP-2010, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (DEC-12-2010), St Public Notif requested (DEC-12-2010)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2010 and SEP-2010, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (DEC-12-2010), St Public Notif requested (DEC-12-2010)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-01-2010, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (JAN-25-2013), St Public Notif requested (JAN-28-2013), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-28-2013)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-01-2008, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (FEB-10-2011)
- 23 regular monitoring violations
- One other older monitoring violation
(46.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents)
|This town:||8.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Colorado City compared to Arizona state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (44%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (23%)
- Electricity (20%)
- Utility gas (12%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Colorado City town (based on Mohave County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Mohave County:||1.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arizona:||1.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mohave County:||0.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arizona:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mohave County:||3.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$8,433||$50,598||0||$0|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||3||$1,451|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$23,369||$56,086||0||$0|
|Police - Other||0||$0||2||$1,442|
|Fire - Other||0||$0||3||$2,179|
|Streets and Highways||6||$22,211||$44,422||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||3||$11,034||$44,136||2||$1,726|
|Totals for Government||35||$125,556||$43,048||35||$21,769|
Colorado City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Housing & Community Development: $210,000 ($43.64)
- Current Operations - Electric Utilities: $2,183,000 ($453.66)
Regular Highways: $1,038,000 ($215.71)
Water Utilities: $347,000 ($72.11)
Police Protection: $295,000 ($61.31)
Solid Waste Management: $267,000 ($55.49)
Central Staff Services: $257,000 ($53.41)
Air Transportation: $221,000 ($45.93)
General - Other: $108,000 ($22.44)
Housing & Community Development: $83,000 ($17.25)
Libraries: $54,000 ($11.22)
Parks & Recreation: $41,000 ($8.52)
Judicial and Legal Services: $35,000 ($7.27)
Gas Utilities: $11,000 ($2.29)
- Electric Utilities - Interest on Debt: $43,000 ($8.94)
- General - Interest on Debt: $40,000 ($8.31)
- Other Capital Outlay - Air Transportation: $17,000 ($3.53)
General - Other: $2,000 ($0.42)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,199,000 ($456.98)
Colorado City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $233,000 ($48.42)
All Other: $19,000 ($3.95)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Housing & Community Development: $227,000 ($47.17)
All Other: $178,000 ($36.99)
- Local Intergovernmental - Highways: $19,000 ($3.95)
All Other: $17,000 ($3.53)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $82,000 ($17.04)
Interest Earnings: $5,000 ($1.04)
- Revenue - Electric Utilities: $1,729,000 ($359.31)
Water Utilities: $351,000 ($72.94)
Gas Utilities: $13,000 ($2.70)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $937,000 ($194.72)
General Support: $395,000 ($82.09)
All Other: $36,000 ($7.48)
- Tax - Property: $276,000 ($57.36)
Total General Sales: $264,000 ($54.86)
Public Utilities: $74,000 ($15.38)
NEC: $10,000 ($2.08)
Colorado City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Electric Utilities: $570,000 ($118.45)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $617,000 ($128.22)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $165,000 ($34.29)
Full Faith & Credit - Electric Utilities: $100,000 ($20.78)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $408,000 ($84.79)
Electric Utilities: $260,000 ($54.03)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Electric Utilities: $210,000 ($43.64)
Other, NEC: $44,000 ($9.14)
Colorado City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $232,000 ($48.21)
7.80% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($40,370 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($131 average AGI)
Mohave County: 0.03% Arizona average: 0.07%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Clark County, NV||0.76% ($33,172 average AGI)|
|from San Bernardino County, CA||0.52% ($45,920)|
|from Maricopa County, AZ||0.48% ($34,500)|
6.90% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,099 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved to foreign countries ($135 average AGI)
Mohave County: 0.03% Arizona average: 0.09%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Colorado City:
- KDXU (890 AM; 10 kW; ST. GEORGE, UT; Owner: WESTERN BROADCASTING, LS, LLC)
- KUNF (1210 AM; 10 kW; WASHINGTON, UT; Owner: MARATHON MEDIA GROUP, L.L.C.)
- KZNU (1450 AM; 10 kW; ST. GEORGE, UT; Owner: AM RADIO 1450, INC.)
- KXNT (840 AM; 50 kW; NORTH LAS VEGAS, NV; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- KDWN (720 AM; 50 kW; LAS VEGAS, NV; Owner: RADIO NEVADA CORP.)
- KNNZ (940 AM; 10 kW; CEDAR CITY, UT; Owner: MB MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KSUB (590 AM; 5 kW; CEDAR CITY, UT; Owner: MB MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KMIA (710 AM; 50 kW; BLACK CANYON CITY, AZ; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KALL (700 AM; 50 kW; NORTH SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KFNX (1100 AM; 50 kW; CAVE CREEK, AZ; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KIQN (1010 AM; 50 kW; TOOELE, UT)
Strongest FM radio stations in Colorado City:
- KMXM (107.1 FM; COLORADO CITY, AZ; Owner: MB MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KZHK (95.9 FM; ST. GEORGE, UT; Owner: MARVIN KENT FRANDSEN)
- KONY (99.9 FM; ST. GEORGE, UT; Owner: FM RADIO 99.9, INC.)
- KSNN (93.5 FM; ST. GEORGE, UT; Owner: WESTERN BROADCASTING, LS, LLC)
- KREC (98.1 FM; BRIAN HEAD, UT; Owner: MARATHON MEDIA GROUP, L.L.C.)
- K300AC (107.9 FM; WASHINGTON, ETC., UT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF UTAH)
- KPLD (101.1 FM; KANAB, UT; Owner: MARATHON MEDIA GROUP, L.L.C.)
- K211BJ (90.1 FM; TOQUERVILLE, UT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF UTAH)
- KXFF (92.5 FM; CEDAR CITY, UT; Owner: MB MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- K202AW (88.3 FM; CEDAR CITY, UT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF UTAH)
- K211BB (90.1 FM; KANAB, UT; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF UTAH)
TV broadcast stations around Colorado City:
- K07SC (Channel 7; HILDALE, ETC. (AZ), UT; Owner: KUTV HOLDINGS, INC.)
- K09SU (Channel 9; HILDALE, ETC. (AZ), UT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- K11QQ (Channel 11; HILDALE, ETC. (AZ), UT; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- K27EJ (Channel 27; COLORADO CITY, AZ; Owner: MOHAVE COUNTY BOARD OF SUPERVISORS)
- K13SR (Channel 13; HILDALE, ETC. (AZ), UT; Owner: WASHINGTON COUNTY TELEVISION DEPARTMENT)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- $1,433,000Total costs
- 7,200Total average daily traffic
- 1,044Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,220Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
|Most common first names in Colorado City, AZ among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Colorado City, AZ among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Colorado City, AZ
- FedEx: 1
- RadioShack: 1
Colorado City on our top lists:
- #4 on the list of "Top 100 cities with youngest residents"
- #55 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Construction"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists"
- #52 (86021) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of English first ancestries"
- #71 (86021) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of British first ancestries (pop 1,000+)"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #41 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving in compared to moving out (pop. 50,000+)"
- #47 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #49 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.