Colorado City, Texas
Colorado City: Curve-billed Thrasher at Lake Colorado City State Park
Colorado City: Baker Hotel
Colorado City: Movie Theatre
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||36.6 years|
|Texas median age:||34.0 years|
Zip codes: 79512.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,068 (it was $15,591 in 2000)
Colorado City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $32,462 (it was $28,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $558.
Races in Colorado City, TX (2010)
- 2,08950.4%White alone
- 2024.9%Black alone
- 310.7%Two or more races
- 250.6%American Indian alone
- 90.2%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
|Houston vs. Dallas (12939 replies)|
|Colorado City Pronunciation (44 replies)|
|Medina Lake (193 replies)|
|Wanna take a day trip to the desert. Any suggestions? (21 replies)|
|Rural Texas is a living NIGHTMARE - snakes and spiders! (75 replies)|
|Restaurant recommendation for Colorado City? (3 replies)|
Latest news from Colorado City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (12.7%), German (7.5%), Irish (7.0%), English (4.5%), French (2.6%), Scottish (2.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 2071 feet
Land area: 5.29 square miles.
Population density: 780 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Colorado City:
- High school or higher: 73.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.6%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Colorado City city:
- Never married: 26.8%
- Now married: 54.9%
- Separated: 3.4%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 7.4%
241 residents are foreign born (5.5% Latin America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 21 registered sex offenders living in Colorado City, Texas as of February 11, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Colorado City to the number of sex offenders is 195 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $925 (2.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $483 (1.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Abilene, TX (65.3 miles , pop. 115,930).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Worth, TX (207.0 miles , pop. 534,694).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (239.1 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Lake Colorado City, TX (2.3 miles ), Loraine, TX (2.9 miles ), Westbrook, TX (3.0 miles ), Hermleigh, TX (4.2 miles ), Roscoe, TX (4.4 miles ), Snyder, TX (4.7 miles ), Fluvanna-Sharon Ridge, TX (4.8 miles ), Coahoma, TX (5.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $54,000
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $53,000
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $29,400
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $165,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $48,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $90,900
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 32.40 N, Longitude: 100.86 W
Area code: 325
|Crime rates in Colorado City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||218.8||218.1||210.3||207.1||282.7||399.1||430.4||318.2||394.3||330.7||312.8||381.2||335.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Colorado City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.47|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -428 (-9.1%).
- Manufacturing (20%)
- Construction (20%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (15%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Retail trade (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (28%)
- Educational services (25%)
- Public administration (16%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (25%)
- Production occupations (15%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (14%)
- Transportation occupations (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Management occupations (7%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (21%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (21%)
- Healthcare support occupations (16%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (11%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (5%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (5%)
- Community and social service occupations (5%)
Average climate in Colorado City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Colorado City-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 7% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/24/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 17.0 miles away from the Colorado City city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 5/24/1968, a category F3 tornado 18.7 miles away from the city center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Colorado City-area historical earthquake activity is above Texas state average. It is 53% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 44.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 208.2 miles away from Colorado City center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 130.9 miles away from the city center
On 12/19/2005 at 20:27:40, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.1 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 215.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/29/2008 at 10:24:53, a magnitude 3.3 (3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 34.7 miles away from Colorado City center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 284.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Mitchell County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 4, Hurricanes: 3 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Guy Morriss - Football player and coach, Martin Dies, Jr. - Politician, Myra Crownover - Politician, James Moeser - University president.
Hospitals and medical centers in Colorado City:
- HEART OF WEST TEXAS HOSPICE (1927 HICKORY SUITE 110)
- MITCHELL COUNTY HOSPITAL DISTRICT (Government - Hospital District or Authority, 997 WEST I-20)
- ACCESSCARE- COLORADO CITY DIALYSIS (1546 CHESTNUT ST)
- INTEGRACARE HOME HEALTH OF COLORADO CITY (271 WALNUT STREET)
- INTERIM HEALTHCARE OF ROTAN (139 W 2ND ST)
- KRISTI LEE MANOR INC (1941 CHESTNUT)
- VALLEY FAIR LODGE (1541 CHESTNUT ST)
Airports located in Colorado City:
- Colorado City Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 600, Local Ops: 3,000)
- Trulock Ranch Field Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 400, Local Ops: 600)
- Landers Ranch Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Colorado City:
- Howard College (about 36 miles; Big Spring, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- Abilene Christian University (about 68 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Angelo State University (about 71 miles; San Angelo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,019)
- Midland College (about 78 miles; Midland, TX; FT enrollment: 3,650)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (about 93 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 2,982)
- Odessa College (about 97 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 3,107)
- Texas Tech University (about 101 miles; Lubbock, TX; FT enrollment: 29,251)
Public high schools in Colorado City:
Public elementary/middle schools in Colorado City:
- Kelley Elementary School (Students: 307; Location: 1435 ELM ST; Grades: EE-2; Our rating: 66)
- Hutchinson Elementary School (Students: 224; Location: 440 CEDAR ST; Grades: 3-5; Our rating: 62)
- Colorado Middle School (Students: 223; Location: 312 E 12TH ST; Grades: 6-8; Our rating: 32)
- Wallace Unit School (Location: 1675 S FM 3525; Grades: UG)
- Ware Unit School (Location: 1681 S FM 3525; Grades: UG)
Notable locations in Colorado City: Mitchell County Public Library (A), Heart of West Texas Museum (B), Colorado City Fire Department (C), Mitchell County Ambulance Service (D), Mitchell County Courthouse (E), Wallace Community Center (F), Kristi Lee Manor (G), Scott-Majors House (H), Colorado City Civic Center (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Colorado City include: House of Hope Community Church (A), New Life Bible Ministries (B), First Assembly of God (C), Christian Temple (D), Church of Christ (E), Mount Zion Baptist Church (F), Calvary Baptist Church (G), Saint Anns Catholic Church (H), Primera Iglesia Bautista el Calvario (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Colorado Cemetery (1), Cemetery of the Sands (2), Mitchell County Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Lone Wolf Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Colorado City include: Seven Wells Monument (1), Ruddick Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Colorado City City - Museum (340 East 3rd Street).
Hotel: Co City-Days Inn (RR 1 Box 293).
(8.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 17.4% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 15.7% for other race residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
21 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
109 people in nursing homes in 2000
11 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Colorado City compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Colorado City (2011 data):
- First National Bank of Colorado City: First National Bank Of Colorado City at 2225 Hickory, branch established on 1982/10/29. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $42.7 mil, Deposits: $38.6 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 1 total offices
- The City National Bank of Colorado City: The City National Bank Of Colorado C at 228 Elm Street, branch established on 1900/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $109.8 mil, Deposits: $100.8 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 1 total offices, Holding Company: City National Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (51%)
- Electricity (44%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
- Wood (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Colorado City city (based on Mitchell County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Mitchell County:||2.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mitchell County:||1.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mitchell County:||5.39 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$4,683||$56,196||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||6||$18,367||$36,734||0||$0|
|Police - Other||6||$12,394||$24,788||3||$4,313|
|Streets and Highways||7||$13,315||$22,826||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||2||$3,720||$22,320||3||$3,452|
|Parks and Recreation||4||$7,176||$21,528||2||$1,397|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$2,770||$33,240||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||38||$88,440||$27,928||9||$9,536|
8.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,594 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Scurry County, TX||0.83% ($37,350 average AGI)|
|from Nolan County, TX||0.75% ($24,444)|
|from Howard County, TX||0.58% ($25,071)|
7.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,087 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Colorado City:
- KVMC (1320 AM; daytime; 1 kW; COLORADO CITY, TX; Owner: JIMLIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KCRS (550 AM; 5 kW; MIDLAND, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KSNY (1450 AM; 1 kW; SNYDER, TX; Owner: SNYDER BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KGKL (960 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KXOX (1240 AM; 1 kW; SWEETWATER, TX; Owner: STEIN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Colorado City:
- KAUM (107.1 FM; COLORADO CITY, TX; Owner: JAMES G. BAUM)
- KHYS (100.7 FM; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KEAN-FM (105.1 FM; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KHXS (102.7 FM; MERKEL, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KLYD (98.9 FM; SNYDER, TX; Owner: DELBERT FOREE)
TV broadcast stations around Colorado City:
- K07TZ (Channel 7; SNYDER, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- K42ET (Channel 42; SNYDER, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- K26DW (Channel 26; SNYDER, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- KPCB (Channel 17; SNYDER, TX; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 5Number of bridges
- 21m69ftTotal length
- $242,000Total costs
- 29,190Total average daily traffic
- 11,884Total average daily truck traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 66
- Hazardous Condition: 6
- Service Call: 7
- Good Intent Call: 3
Incident types - Colorado City
|Most common first names in Colorado City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Colorado City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Colorado City, TX|
|Ace Hardware||1||SAS Shoes||1|
|Alco Stores||1||SONIC Drive-In||1|
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.