Knox City, Texas
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||37.8 years|
|Texas median age:||34.0 years|
Zip codes: 79529.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $17,094 (it was $14,732 in 2000)
Knox City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $34,101 (it was $25,600 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $452.
Races in Knox City, TX (2010)
- 69861.8%White alone
- 746.5%Black alone
- 40.4%Other race alone
- 50.4%Two or more races
- 30.3%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
|Cotton Pickin' (42 replies)|
|Anyone have pictures of Lubbock that they would like to share? (22 replies)|
|Texas (11 replies)|
|Want to Move Back to Texas....Taxes???? (5 replies)|
Latest news from Knox City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (14.5%), German (12.6%), Irish (9.1%), United States (7.3%), French Canadian (1.5%), Scotch-Irish (1.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 0.84 square miles.
Population density: 1,377 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Knox City:
- High school or higher: 78.2%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.2%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 12.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Knox City town:
- Never married: 18.5%
- Now married: 55.3%
- Separated: 7.2%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 11.0%
42 residents are foreign born (3.0% Latin America, 1.2% Asia, 0.5% North America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 11 registered sex offenders living in Knox City, Texas as of November 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Knox City to the number of sex offenders is 105 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $1,044 (1.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $618 (1.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Abilene, TX (67.3 miles , pop. 115,930).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Worth, TX (151.3 miles , pop. 534,694).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (180.5 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: O'Brien, TX (1.7 miles) , Rochester, TX (2.7 miles ), Weinert, TX (3.2 miles) , Munday, TX (3.3 miles ), Benjamin, TX (3.4 miles ), Rule, TX (4.1 miles ), Goree, TX (4.1 miles ), Haskell, TX (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 33.42 N, Longitude: 99.81 W
Area code: 940
|Crime rates in Knox City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 320.2)||348.1||305.8||238.8||245.3||206.2||163.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Knox City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.88|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (30%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Other services, except public administration (12%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Finance and insurance (3%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (27%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (18%)
- Management occupations (11%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (7%)
- Production occupations (4%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (19%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (17%)
- Health technologists and technicians (14%)
- Management occupations (13%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (4%)
Average climate in Knox City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Knox City-area historical tornado activity is near Texas state average. It is 45% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/13/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 2.0 miles away from the Knox City town center killed 17 people and injured 25 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/26/1962, a category F4 tornado 17.3 miles away from the town center injured one person and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Knox City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 63% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 61.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 301.1 miles away from Knox City center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 205.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 123.8 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 218.9 miles away from Knox City center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 211.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Knox County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 2
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 4, Hurricanes: 3, Flood: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Stan Hansen - Professional wrestler.
Hospitals and medical centers in Knox City:
Airports located in Knox City:
- Harrison Field Of Knox City Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 500, Local Ops: 2,000)
- Oliver Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Knox City:
- Vernon College (about 59 miles; Vernon, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,216)
- Abilene Christian University (about 66 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Midwestern State University (about 82 miles; Wichita Falls, TX; FT enrollment: 4,901)
- Cisco College (about 86 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
- Western Oklahoma State College (about 91 miles; Altus, OK; FT enrollment: 2,054)
- Cameron University (about 115 miles; Lawton, OK; FT enrollment: 4,695)
- Texas Tech University (about 120 miles; Lubbock, TX; FT enrollment: 29,251)
Public high school in Knox City:
- Knox City High School (Students: 69; Location: 606 E MAIN ST; Grades: 9-12; Our rating: 66)
Public elementary/middle schools in Knox City:
Notable location: Knox City Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Knox City: Church of Christ (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: City Motel (1100 East Main Street).
(7.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 64.5% for Black residents, 33.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 6.8% for other race residents, 88.4% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
64 people in nursing homes in 2000
Knox City compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Knox City (2011 data):
- Citizens Bank, National Association: Knox City Branch at 110 North 2nd, branch established on 1993/05/26. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $92.3 mil, Deposits: $80.7 mil, headquarters in Abilene, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Big Country Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (64%)
- Electricity (33%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Knox City town (based on Knox County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Knox County:||5.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||8.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||2||$1,039|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$3,693||$44,316||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||4||$9,419||$28,257||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||2||$1,496|
|Totals for Government||9||$26,806||$35,741||6||$3,438|
7.93% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,577 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
8.16% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,520 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Haskell County, TX||1.31% ($29,125 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Knox City:
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KCAF (990 AM; 10 kW; FARMERSVILLE, TX; Owner: RENAISSANCE RADIO, INC.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KOMA (1520 AM; 50 kW; OKLAHOMA CITY, OK; Owner: RENDA BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEVADA)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KEAN (1470 AM; 5 kW; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Knox City:
- KVRP-FM (97.1 FM; HASKELL, TX; Owner: ROLLING PLAINS BROADCASTING CORP.)
- KOES (106.9 FM; STAMFORD, TX; Owner: TEXAS GULFWEST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
Knox City fatal accident list:
Nov 13, 2005 08:20 AM, Sr-6, Sr-222, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 7, 1990 09:55 PM, S2ndw, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Aug 1, 1987 09:00 PM, 222, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jan 9, 1986 09:44 PM, Soseconday, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Apr 15, 1983 07:30 PM, 222, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 22, 1976 07:15 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 33Number of bridges
- 118m387ftTotal length
- $295,000Total costs
- 115,595Total average daily traffic
- 20,293Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KB5IOL, Licensee ID: L00284748
Grant Date: 08/03/2010, Expiration Date: 10/23/2020, Certifier: Matthew D Harrington
Registrant: Matthew D Harrington, Knox City, TX 79529
- Call Sign: KB5JJO
Grant Date: 05/13/1999, Expiration Date: 05/13/2009, Cancellation Date: 05/14/2011
Registrant: Michael Graham, 303 Se Third, Knox City, TX 79529-0624
- Call Sign: KC5ATK
Grant Date: 08/17/1993, Expiration Date: 08/17/2003, Cancellation Date: 08/18/2005
Registrant: William C Russell, Knox City, TX 79529
- Call Sign: KD5NQK, Licensee ID: L00335394
Grant Date: 02/08/2011, Expiration Date: 03/14/2021, Certifier: Ricky R Reid
Registrant: Ricky R Reid, Knox City, TX 79529-0571
|Most common first names in Knox City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Knox City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Knox City on our top lists:
- #74 on the list of "Top 100 cities with declining populations from 2000 to 2008"
- #83 (79529) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Alsatian first ancestries"
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"