|Median resident age:||42.6 years|
|Texas median age:||30.8 years|
Zip codes: 79529.
Knox City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $35,530 (it was $25,600 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $470.
- White alone - 698 (61.8%)
- Hispanic - 344 (30.4%)
- Black alone - 74 (6.5%)
- Other race alone - 4 (0.4%)
- Two or more races - 5 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 3 (0.3%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.2%)
|Cotton Pickin' (42 replies)|
|Anyone have pictures of Lubbock that they would like to share? (22 replies)|
|Texas (11 replies)|
|Want to Move Back to Texas....Taxes???? (5 replies)|
Latest news from Knox City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (11.5%), German (11.1%), Irish (9.2%), United States (8.0%), Scotch-Irish (1.7%), French (1.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 0.84 square miles.Population density: 1,376 people per square mile (low).
For population 25 years and over in Knox City:
- High school or higher: 76.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.7%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 12.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Knox City town:
- Never married: 19.3%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 4.4%
- Widowed: 10.8%
- Divorced: 9.2%
33 residents are foreign born (1.2% Asia).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 7 registered sex offenders living in Knox City, Texas as of January 31, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Knox City to the number of sex offenders is 164 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $725 (1.5%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $585 (1.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Abilene, TX (67.3 miles , pop. 115,930).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Fort Worth, TX (151.3 miles , pop. 534,694).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (180.5 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: O'Brien, TX (1.7 miles) , Rochester, TX (2.7 miles ), Weinert, TX (3.2 miles) , Munday, TX (3.3 miles ), Benjamin, TX (3.4 miles ), Rule, TX (4.1 miles ), Goree, TX (4.1 miles ), Haskell, TX (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 33.42 N, Longitude: 99.81 W
Area code: 940
|Crime rates in Knox City by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 320.2)||348.1||305.8||238.8||245.3||206.2||163.5|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Knox City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.88|
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (33%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Construction (9%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Educational services (26%)
- Health care and social assistance (25%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Retail trade (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (7%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Extraction workers (5%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (12%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
Average climate in Knox City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Knox City-area historical tornado activity is near Texas state average. It is 45% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/13/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 2.0 miles away from the Knox City town center killed 17 people and injured 25 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/26/1962, a category F4 tornado 17.3 miles away from the town center injured one person and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Knox City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 63% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 61.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 301.1 miles away from Knox City center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 205.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 123.8 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 218.9 miles away from Knox City center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 211.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Knox County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 2
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 4, Hurricanes: 3, Flood: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Stan Hansen - Professional wrestler.
Hospitals and medical centers in Knox City:
Airports located in Knox City:
- Harrison Field Of Knox City Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 500, Local Ops: 2,000)
- Oliver Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Knox City:
- Vernon College (about 59 miles; Vernon, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,216)
- Abilene Christian University (about 66 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Midwestern State University (about 82 miles; Wichita Falls, TX; FT enrollment: 4,901)
- Cisco College (about 86 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
- Western Oklahoma State College (about 91 miles; Altus, OK; FT enrollment: 2,054)
- Cameron University (about 115 miles; Lawton, OK; FT enrollment: 4,695)
- Texas Tech University (about 120 miles; Lubbock, TX; FT enrollment: 29,251)
Public high school in Knox City:
- Knox City High School (Students: 69; Location: 606 E MAIN ST; Grades: 9-12; Our rating: 66)
Public elementary/middle schools in Knox City:
Notable location: Knox City Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Knox City: Church of Christ (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: City Motel (1100 East Main Street).
(8.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 52.6% for Black residents, 32.2% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 0.0% for American Indian residents, 10.1% for other race residents, 66.7% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
64 people in nursing homes in 2000
Knox City compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Knox City (2011 data):
- Citizens Bank, National Association: Knox City Branch at 110 North 2nd, branch established on 1993/05/26. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $92.3 mil, Deposits: $80.7 mil, headquarters in Abilene, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 2 total offices, Holding Company: Big Country Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (70%)
- Electricity (25%)
- Wood (3%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Religion statistics for Knox City town (based on Knox County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 119.73%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Knox County:||5.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Knox County:||8.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2007)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||1||$443|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$2,130||$25,560||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||3||$5,433||$21,732||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$638|
|Totals for Government||8||$15,462||$23,193||3||$1,466|
7.32% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($27,091 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Haskell County, TX||1.00% ($18,833 average AGI)|
8.46% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($33,709 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
|to Taylor County, TX||0.99% ($16,750 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Knox City:
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KCAF (990 AM; 10 kW; FARMERSVILLE, TX; Owner: RENAISSANCE RADIO, INC.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KOMA (1520 AM; 50 kW; OKLAHOMA CITY, OK; Owner: RENDA BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEVADA)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KEAN (1470 AM; 5 kW; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Knox City:
- KVRP-FM (97.1 FM; HASKELL, TX; Owner: ROLLING PLAINS BROADCASTING CORP.)
- KOES (106.9 FM; STAMFORD, TX; Owner: TEXAS GULFWEST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
Knox City fatal accident list:
Oct 7, 1990 09:55 PM, S2ndw, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Aug 1, 1987 09:00 PM, 222, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Jan 9, 1986 09:44 PM, Soseconday, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Apr 15, 1983 07:30 PM, 222, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 22, 1976 07:15 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Total length: 118 meters (387ft)
Total costs: $295,000
Total average daily traffic: 115,595
Total average daily truck traffic: 20,293
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KB5IOL, Licensee ID: L00284748
Grant Date: 08/03/2010, Expiration Date: 10/23/2020, Certifier: Matthew D Harrington
Registrant: Matthew D Harrington, Knox City, TX 79529
- Call Sign: KB5JJO
Grant Date: 05/13/1999, Expiration Date: 05/13/2009, Cancellation Date: 05/14/2011
Registrant: Michael Graham, 303 Se Third, Knox City, TX 79529-0624
- Call Sign: KC5ATK
Grant Date: 08/17/1993, Expiration Date: 08/17/2003, Cancellation Date: 08/18/2005
Registrant: William C Russell, Knox City, TX 79529
- Call Sign: KD5NQK, Licensee ID: L00335394
Grant Date: 02/08/2011, Expiration Date: 03/14/2021, Certifier: Ricky R Reid
Registrant: Ricky R Reid, Knox City, TX 79529-0571
|Most common first names in Knox City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Knox City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Knox City on our top lists:
- #74 on the list of "Top 100 cities with declining populations from 2000 to 2008"
- #83 (79529) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Alsatian first ancestries"
- #42 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003"
- #59 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"