|Median resident age:||27.6 years|
|Mississippi median age:||35.1 years|
Zip codes: 38946.
Morgan City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $52,689 (it was $35,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $546.
- Black alone - 203 (79.6%)
- White alone - 48 (18.8%)
- Hispanic - 4 (1.6%)
|Is this is an accurate representation of the Mississippi blues sound? (6 replies)|
|What attracts people to MS? (66 replies)|
Latest news from Morgan City, MS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (10.3%), Irish (2.1%), German (1.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 123 feet
Land area: 0.57 square miles.
Population density: 438 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Morgan City:
- High school or higher: 81.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.9%
- Unemployed: 26.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Morgan City town:
- Never married: 54.3%
- Now married: 31.2%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 3.7%
- Divorced: 8.4%
According to our research of Mississippi and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Morgan City, Mississippi as of March 26, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Morgan City to the number of sex offenders is 126 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $431 (0.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $560 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, MS (73.7 miles , pop. 184,256).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (122.1 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (375.1 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Cruger, MS (2.8 miles ), Itta Bena, MS (2.9 miles ), Sidon, MS (2.9 miles ), Mississippi Valley State University, MS (3.1 miles ), Moorhead, MS (3.2 miles ), Greenwood, MS (3.7 miles ), Inverness, MS (3.8 miles ), Tchula, MS (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 33.38 N, Longitude: 90.35 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 662
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (32%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (27%)
- Construction (23%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Wholesale trade (0%)
- Manufacturing (34%)
- Health care and social assistance (31%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (24%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (21%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (12%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Fire fighting and prevention workers including supervisors (6%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (30%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (20%)
- Food processing workers (11%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (5%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (5%)
Average climate in Morgan City, Mississippi
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Morgan City-area historical tornado activity is near Mississippi state average. It is 104% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/21/1971, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 17.3 miles away from the Morgan City town center killed 47 people and injured 510 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 3/9/1992, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 20.0 miles away from the town center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Morgan City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Mississippi state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 156.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 178.7 miles away from Morgan City center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 163.1 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 222.3 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 164.5 miles away from Morgan City center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 184.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Leflore County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 9, Floods: 7, Freezes: 3, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Stewart Patridge - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers near Morgan City:
- SERENITY HOSPICE (Hospital, about 13 miles away; GREENWOOD, MS)
- GOLDEN AGE NH INC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; GREENWOOD, MS)
- GREENWOOD LEFLORE HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 13 miles away; GREENWOOD, MS)
- GREENWOOD LEFLORE SUB ACUTE UN (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; GREENWOOD, MS)
- RCG GREENWOOD (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; GREENWOOD, MS)
- HERITAGE MANOR OF GREENWOOD (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; GREENWOOD, MS)
- UNITY HOSPICE CARE, LLC (Hospital, about 14 miles away; GREENWOOD, MS)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Morgan City:
- Mississippi Valley State University (about 10 miles; Itta Bena, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,233)
- Mississippi Delta Community College (about 10 miles; Moorhead, MS; FT enrollment: 2,100)
- Delta State University (about 34 miles; Cleveland, MS; FT enrollment: 3,304)
- Holmes Community College (about 38 miles; Goodman, MS; FT enrollment: 5,352)
- Coahoma Community College (about 62 miles; Clarksdale, MS; FT enrollment: 2,284)
- Mississippi College (about 73 miles; Clinton, MS; FT enrollment: 3,919)
- Belhaven University (about 75 miles; Jackson, MS; FT enrollment: 3,147)
Notable location: Morgan City Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Morgan City: Morgan City Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
(18.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 66.9% for Black residents)
|This town:||3.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Morgan City compared to Mississippi state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (43%)
- Electricity (35%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (21%)
Religion statistics for Morgan City town (based on Leflore County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 41.82%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Episcopal Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
|Name||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Churches of Christ||Presbyterian Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Leflore County:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mississippi:||2.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Leflore County:||1.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mississippi:||0.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Leflore County:||7.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||7||$1,480|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||7||$1,480|
4.89% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($24,534 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Carroll County, MS||0.62% ($24,274 average AGI)|
|from Sunflower County, MS||0.32% ($18,094)|
|from Hinds County, MS||0.30% ($20,067)|
7.00% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,096 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Morgan City:
- WXTN (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; LEXINGTON, MS; Owner: BRAD MAURICE COTHRAN)
- WJNT (1180 AM; 50 kW; PEARL, MS; Owner: BUCHANAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WABG (960 AM; 1 kW; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: GREENWOOD BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGRM (1240 AM; 1 kW; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKXG (1540 AM; 1 kW; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: TELESOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WELZ (1460 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BELZONI, MS; Owner: ZOO-BEL BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Strongest FM radio stations in Morgan City:
- WMAO-FM (90.9 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WGNL (104.3 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: TEAM BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WYMX (99.1 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: TELESOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGNG (106.3 FM; TCHULA, MS; Owner: TEAM BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WVSD (91.7 FM; ITTA BENA, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI VALLEY STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WTCD (96.9 FM; INDIANOLA, MS; Owner: TELESOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGRM-FM (93.9 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WAGR-FM (102.5 FM; LEXINGTON, MS; Owner: BRAD MAURICE COTHRAN)
- WBYP (107.1 FM; BELZONI, MS; Owner: ZOO-BEL BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WDTL-FM (92.9 FM; CLEVELAND, MS; Owner: DELTA RADIO, INC.)
- WRKG (95.3 FM; DREW, MS; Owner: DELTA RADIO, INC.)
- WNLA-FM (105.5 FM; INDIANOLA, MS; Owner: SHAMROCK BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Morgan City:
- WABG-TV (Channel 6; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WMAO-TV (Channel 23; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WXVT (Channel 15; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
- K53FB (Channel 53; EL DORADO, AR; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
Morgan City fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KA3MOG
Grant Date: 02/03/1999, Expiration Date: 02/03/2009, Cancellation Date: 02/04/2011
Registrant: Billy G Mims Sr, Morgan City, MS 38946
|Most common first names in Morgan City, MS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Morgan City, MS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.