Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the blue text in post #1 a good definition of a personal attack?
Yes 5 15.15%
No 28 84.85%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,006,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
"Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming or insults" is too vague and ambiguous for many people. That's why I really like the specific examples that Katiana gave in the first paragraph of her OP. Perhaps a marriage of her first paragraph to the above quote taken from the TOS would be the perfect solution to better clarifying what is and what isn't acceptable here. Obvious, a lot of people don't get it. It could also cut down on a lot of the behind the scenes quibbling that has to go on when someone gets an infraction if a moderator could point to a more specific TOS list/definition of "personal attack".
How can that be too vague? No personal attacks is very CLEAR. Don't attack the poster, which would include name calling.

The bold: Obviously, only a FEW are having trouble staying within the TOS. The vast majority understand and abide by the rules. It is those few that become too emotional, make it too personal and end up engaging in insults and personal attacks.

Quote:
While I'm on the topic of personal insults, I don't understand why it's not a personal attack to say things like 'liberalism is a mental disorder or disease.' Or to call others *******s, dumbocrats, or Repukes. It might not be aimed at one particular individual---which seems to be the Litmus Test at CD---but it's still a clear attempt to insult other posters in the P&OC forum, and that IS personal. Why is that allowed? The TOS needs a special paragraph that applies to the P&OC forum listing 'group insults' also not allowed.
Really not a personal attack on anyone specifically on the forum.

The slippery slope of censorship - how long before it would then be out of bounds to say "the democrats are destroying this country"?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 PM

The OP hasn't answered these simple questions:

Quote:
Quote:
Directed at a specific poster includes, but is not limited to, the following:
*****Quoting, by use of attribution, quote marks, or repeating a poster's specific words, then replying with use of the poster's name, "you", "yours" and other words meant to indicate the specific individual
What does this mean? Are you actually saying you can't quote a poster and use "you & yours" while quoting the poster's words?

Quote:
Quote:
*****Using other means to indicate a response to a specific post and responding as above
Same with the above - what does it mean? Example?

Quote:
Quote:
*****Making a statement about a specific poster, using their name
So... saying something like "Katiana likes obamacare, even though a majority of the nation does not", in response to you saying you like obamacare, would be a personal attack in your book? You're actually saying under your rules we couldn't use a poster's name?

Quote:
Quote:
*****Using quotes then replying with indefinite singular terms such as "someone", "somebody" will be considered indicating the poster quoted
So... quoting a post of yours and then responding with, "some would deem obamacare a $2.5 trillion dollar disaster" would be a personal attack?

Some examples and clarification of those ambiguous/vague passages would be nice.

Please, tell us how your rules would apply to the above?

Old 06-28-2010, 06:58 PM

9,929 posts, read 13,936,598 times
Thick skinned: cruel, insensitive, heartless, ruthless, unjust, and on and on and on.

Thick skinned Synonyms, Thick skinned Antonyms | Thesaurus.com

No thanks! I think there are enough of those types in the world.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:59 PM

1,208 posts, read 1,834,156 times
Quote:
The slippery slope of censorship - how long before it would then be out of bounds to say "the democrats are destroying this country"?
Slippery slope indeed! Whatever happened to the concept of free speech?

The more rules there are the more difficult it will become for the moderators...not to mention the posters. What was that old saying about sticks and stones? Didn't we all learn to let these things roll off our backs by the time we were in the 3rd grade?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:09 PM

Please do address this again:

Quote:
You can directley address a person by quoting them like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Definitely go downtown and take some pix. Very cute, "historic" (read: old), lots of neat restaurants.
Or like this:

Quote:
Definitely go downtown and take some pix. Very cute, "historic" (read: old), lots of neat restaurants.

Or like this:

"Definitely go downtown and take some pix. Very cute, "historic" (read: old), lots of neat restaurants."

You can indicate the post above yours like this: ^^^
I'm lost. Why are you worried about how posters quote other posters and what does that have anything to do with defining personal attacks?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksharp View Post
Slippery slope indeed! Whatever happened to the concept of free speech?

The more rules there are the more difficult it will become for the moderators...not to mention the posters. What was that old saying about sticks and stones? Didn't we all learn to let these things roll off our backs by the time we were in the 3rd grade?
So far, the examples given sound like an effort to try and dictate the terms/conditions of a discussion.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:11 PM

I remember third grade very well! We had common sense, common decency, and common courtesy. Anyone remember?

People said things like, "There's nothing common about courtesy."

Ahhh, the good old days! I wish I could hop on my banana seat bike with the playing cards in the spokes and ride off into the sunset.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:13 PM

For me...a direct threat is a personal attack. Either that or if someone is posting another's personal information on the board...that's crossing a line...and that line would be personal safety.

If it's just a matter of chosen words...why be so picky?

Old 06-28-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So far, the examples given sound like an effort to try and dictate the terms/conditions of a discussion.
I agree! And not only would that run the mods ragged, but it would severly limit the posters freedom of expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucywench View Post
I remember third grade very well! We had common sense, common decency, and common courtesy. Anyone remember?

People said things like, "There's nothing common about courtesy."

Ahhh, the good old days! I wish I could hop on my banana seat bike with the playing cards in the spokes and ride off into the sunset.
lolololololol!!!!! While that may sound like heaven, you're not 5 years old anymore and your banana seat bike has long been history.

Old 06-28-2010, 07:20 PM

I have had many of my posts deleted as personal attacks. I truly don't believe any of them were. Different rules for different players playing the same game. I sometimes think, it's not what you know, it's who you know.

I would rather have no TOS, than to have haphazardly enforced ones.

Last edited by saucywench; 06-28-2010 at 07:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum