Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 AM

14,513 posts, read 20,718,056 times

Advertisements

From the TOS:
Be civil, no personal attacks, or insults. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
---------------------

City Data member A, sent another City Data member B, a direct message.
In that direct message, the sender (A) told the receiver (B) that another City Data member C was a criminal, etc. (the etc. has been omitted because the content went well beyond the term criminal)

I'm told it is not a violation because:
1. member A did not send it to member C.
2. member B did not report it.

Why?

If not a violation, it says that member C can send direct messages to members D through Z, and tell those members anything they desire about member A, and it is not a violation.

This goes beyond calling someone an idiot, a fool, or a dumb butt.

It enters a red zone which seems to cross a line in the sand between insults and down right slander.
It opens a can of worms if such direct messages are allowed, just because member A did not send it directly to member C.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:41 AM

16,908 posts, read 16,155,732 times
^^^ Of course it's not a violation. Everyone is free to say anything they wish in a private conversation.
It's a matter of insulting someone in their presence as opposed to talking about them behind their back.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:20 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
^^^ Of course it's not a violation. Everyone is free to say anything they wish in a private conversation.
It's a matter of insulting someone in their presence as opposed to talking about them behind their back.
I think you're overlooking this from the TOS:

From the TOS:
Be civil, no personal attacks, or insults. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.
---------------------

Calling another member, any other member a "criminal" is certainly insulting.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:57 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,190,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

What if they are indeed a criminal though?

Old 02-09-2013, 11:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,922,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
What if they are indeed a criminal though?

Probably should be reported to the police, then.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:27 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,888,912 times
But if the poster receiving the DM doesn't report it, then Poster C has no recourse b/c it's not public or objectionable to Posters A & B.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:07 PM

27,955 posts, read 39,835,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think you're overlooking this from the TOS:

From the TOS:
---------------------

Like in real life, if the claim is substantiated it is a legitimate statement might be accurate. If the claim is bogus, malicious or false then it is libel, which is the embodiment of a personal attack.
Outing members here is frowned upon in this forum. If it becomes problematic if that information is spread around or came up in a discussion thread. While I question the recourse about the discussion of items in a direct messages, as long as it stays private. However, anything electronic has a sneaky way of becoming public or put out in the open. Meaning caution needs to be used when a touchy topic like this comes up. If you believe there is wrongdoing then you should address those issues.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:22 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,312,015 times
If I was Member C, I'd tell Member B to either report it or stop telling me about it.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:31 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,835,501 times
I don't like tattles. Something along the lines of your message has been duly noted, then moved to the deleted files. If I am feeling like a good fight I'd address it directly. Otherwise ignore.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:51 AM

8,954 posts, read 4,275,519 times
We don't moderate DMs. The only exceptions being spam and unsolicited and reported personal attacks. By unsolicited, we mean no previous conversation at all. Otherwise, your private correspondence is your private correspondence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > Administration Zone > About the Forum