Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 11:59 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,851 times

Advertisements

While reading on various adoption topics, I've recently learned that women don't need to be pregnant or have been pregnant to produce breast milk.

Actually, there are many adoptive mothers who breast feed their newly adopted infants with self-produced milk (induced lactation). This apparently has been done in other countries for decades. I knew of wet nurses, but I was completely surprised to learn this!

Thoughts? Is this old news? I think it's fascinating and just shows how marvelous the human body is and how miraculous it seems that either by "divine design" or "evolution", a woman is able to naturally feed and nourish a baby, even when she did not give birth to him/her!

Who else finds this interesting?

Mayo Clinic: Induced Lactation Q&A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 01:20 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
I think it is wonderful! It requires dedication and hard work but the goal does not have to necessarily be a baby that is 100% breastfed. What a wonderful additional way to bond with an adopted baby! I have read several stories about nursing adopted babies in the La Leche League monthly publication (New Beginnings). Heartwarming!

It is "old news" to me but I am kind of a breastfeeding geek, if that's a thing. I learned about this decades ago when I used a particular device to supplement formula while breastfeeding my firstborn, that is commonly marketed to adoptive moms. It was called a Lact-aid ( Welcome to Lact-Aid )and back then only available through certified lactation consultants. It consisted of a bottle that hung around mom's neck with tiny tubing that was placed right next to the nipple, so the baby could nurse and receive breastmilk and supplemental formula at the same time, removing worries about nipple confusion and bottles. When I needed that device I learned how adoptive mothers would use it to nurse their babies. Pretty cool!

Did you know that, while rare, there have been cases of men lactating and lactating enough to feed their babies!?

Strange but True: Males Can Lactate: Scientific American

Old 03-22-2013, 01:44 PM

509 posts, read 587,594 times
I breastfed my adopted daughter for six months. I had been breast feeding my older daughter still, but infrequently at the time of our adoption. I pumped, took medication, nursed round the clock on my maternity leave, and ate so much oatmeal I thought I would burst.

I could not supply enough to keep from supplementing, and eventually, the little milk I had dried up. I tried a supplemental nursing system (like described above) with little success. My daughter really hated it and we struggked even with LC help. I didn't respond well to pumping with my older daughter anyway, so that didn't help. I was grateful to nurse those six months, though. I am so glad I tried as hard as I did, although I was really sad and upset when it didn't work, I knew that I had done the very best I could.

It was an incredibly binding experience for me. I felt that way with my biological daughter, but there was something really special about connecting with my adopted daughter in this way. I felt like it bonded us at a very deep level. I'm really big on breast feeding, though.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:36 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,594 times
It is old news. I am very pro-breast feeding. However, I would be very uncomfortable to learn that my mom (adoptive-mother) tried to breastfeed me. I would not want anyone else but me breast-feeding my children & I would not want to have been breast-fed by anyone but my biological mother unless there was no other way to receive proper nourishment.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally_Sparrow View Post
I think it is wonderful! It requires dedication and hard work but the goal does not have to necessarily be a baby that is 100% breastfed. What a wonderful additional way to bond with an adopted baby! I have read several stories about nursing adopted babies in the La Leche League monthly publication (New Beginnings). Heartwarming!

It is "old news" to me but I am kind of a breastfeeding geek, if that's a thing. I learned about this decades ago when I used a particular device to supplement formula while breastfeeding my firstborn, that is commonly marketed to adoptive moms. It was called a Lact-aid ( Welcome to Lact-Aid )and back then only available through certified lactation consultants. It consisted of a bottle that hung around mom's neck with tiny tubing that was placed right next to the nipple, so the baby could nurse and receive breastmilk and supplemental formula at the same time, removing worries about nipple confusion and bottles. When I needed that device I learned how adoptive mothers would use it to nurse their babies. Pretty cool!

Did you know that, while rare, there have been cases of men lactating and lactating enough to feed their babies!?

Strange but True: Males Can Lactate: Scientific American
No I didn't know about males! When I told my mom about inducing lactation, she said she knew too. I just never really thought of it. But I agree, pretty cool...on so many levels! Thanks for the links. I will definitely look into the supplemental supplies and the La Leche League.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffjoy View Post
I breastfed my adopted daughter for six months. I had been breast feeding my older daughter still, but infrequently at the time of our adoption. I pumped, took medication, nursed round the clock on my maternity leave, and ate so much oatmeal I thought I would burst.

I could not supply enough to keep from supplementing, and eventually, the little milk I had dried up. I tried a supplemental nursing system (like described above) with little success. My daughter really hated it and we struggked even with LC help. I didn't respond well to pumping with my older daughter anyway, so that didn't help. I was grateful to nurse those six months, though. I am so glad I tried as hard as I did, although I was really sad and upset when it didn't work, I knew that I had done the very best I could.

It was an incredibly binding experience for me. I felt that way with my biological daughter, but there was something really special about connecting with my adopted daughter in this way. I felt like it bonded us at a very deep level. I'm really big on breast feeding, though.
Wow. Thanks for sharing this. I am sooo excited about it! Really, I had accepted the fact that I wouldn't experience ANY part of pregnancy, so this news (new to me) came as a pleasant surprise. And you're right...about producing enough without needing supplemental milk. The sources I read said the same thing, but said, like you have, that it is more important to focus on the bonding and not necessarily on having enough milk because you can supplement. It's nice to hear your story too because you've had the experience with both of your daughters. If I can get three months I'll be happy...six would be great!

So oatmeal is good when lactating? I guess I better continue researching this...

Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
It is old news. I am very pro-breast feeding. However, I would be very uncomfortable to learn that my mom (adoptive-mother) tried to breastfeed me. I would not want anyone else but me breast-feeding my children & I would not want to have been breast-fed by anyone but my biological mother unless there was no other way to receive proper nourishment.
Well, according to the research, mothers who cannot breast feed, and actual adoptive breastfeeders, this is a very unique opinion. Most infants do enjoy it and really don't care; they only want to be fed. Some babies don't even feed well with their biological mothers. . Wet nurses did this all the time, some still do: The return of Wet Nursing

Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM

393 posts, read 598,834 times
Sorry guys - crosses the line for me - and I breastfed my son. Another consideration is your milk changes as the baby grows, and does that because of how your body reacts to pregnancy, delivery, and your hormonal changes from that. Unless there is very strong science behind induced lactation that shows the milk automatically adjusts to the age/growth nutritional requirements of the babe - you really don't know if it is beneficial or harmful. I realize formula has its drawbacks but at least the formulation and nutrients are known.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethreefoldme View Post
Is there a particular reason why that you'd feel comfortable sharing?

I certainly hope my daughter never feels that way. I don't really view it as any different than my nursing if my biological daughter, and while I try very hard to understand why someone would be uncomfortable with it, I can't quite get there.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artful Dodger View Post
Sorry guys - crosses the line for me - and I breastfed my son. Another consideration is your milk changes as the baby grows, and does that because of how your body reacts to pregnancy, delivery, and your hormonal changes from that. Unless there is very strong science behind induced lactation that shows the milk automatically adjusts to the age/growth nutritional requirements of the babe - you really don't know if it is beneficial or harmful. I realize formula has its drawbacks but at least the formulation and nutrients are known.
There's equally no science showing it is harmful.

Many babies are given donated breastmilk. There are studies showing his beneficial this is. The donated breastmilk is not matched to the age of the child, so I view it as very similar to adoptive nursing.

I realize its controversial. I had my daughter's first mom's support with my nursing. I asked before I started.

ETA: my daughter also received formula the whole time. The nursing was to provide added benefits not obtained from formula and for bonding.

Old 03-22-2013, 04:40 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,192,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Well, according to the research, mothers who cannot breast feed, and actual adoptive breastfeeders, this is a very unique opinion. Most infants do enjoy it and really don't care; they only want to be fed. Some babies don't even feed well with their biological mothers. . Wet nurses did this all the time, some still do: The return of Wet Nursing
Yes, well... how many adult adoptees have been asked for their opinions on the matter? I know some who don't care & I'm sure there are those who think it's great -- however from my experience in talking to adoptees about this topic it really isn't all that unique of a view.

In studies where newborns/infants were given a choice between their bio-mother's breast milk & someone else's breast milk, they showed both an awareness & preference for their bio-mother's breast milk. But of course most infants will drink whatever milk you give them & they appear to enjoy formula as well.

Once upon a time wet nurses were necessary because breast feeding was necessary. Sometimes they still are if one does not have access/funds for good formula. This is perfectly understandable.

Would you want your child cross breast-fed? Lots of people approve of that, lots of people don't. That has also been done all the time. To me there would be no difference between my foster mother breast feeding me while she had me, & my a-mom breast feeding me. Would you want your child to be breastfed by their foster parent if for some reason you were not able to adopt them right away? Would you want them to be breastfed by a nanny?

I know those are just hypothetical situations that probably don't pertain to you -- but think about it. Maybe you wouldn't mind or plan on cross-breast feeding, I don't know. I personally would not.

Last edited by thethreefoldme; 03-22-2013 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Adoption