Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 03:54 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,424,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
Africa is a continent with hundreds of languages and scores of countries, it's kinda like "should europe host the olympics?". The Olympics are hosted by a country, not a continent.
Did you even read the post or did you just reply to the title :|
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:52 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,363,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Those two cities do not even have a fraction of the infrastructure needed. They do not have the current infrastructure to support things they have now, let alone a major event like the Olympics.
I don't know anything about Africa. Greater Cairo doesn't have a thriving tourism industry? I guess the population numbers are throwing me off.

Old 08-02-2012, 10:38 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,176,889 times
Cairo's tourism industry has been hard-hit by the recent unrest there and, in any event, it's not geared toward big events like the Olympics. It's geared toward getting people out to the pyramids and to resorts like Sharm El Sheikh.

Old 08-03-2012, 06:39 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,093,131 times
Every African city and country does have the "opportunity" to submit a proposal to the Olympic Committee, which will consider any realistic proposal from a city or country that is capable of putting together the necessary infrastructure. Proposals would be considered unrealistic if the prospective host cannot give assurances of visitor accommodations, site facilities, public safety, transport access, etc. regardless of the continent on which it is located.

Generally, Olympic hosting turns out to be a gigantic waste of money, and few African sites have that kind of money to waste, but any African site has the opportunity to submit a bid.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:57 PM

78,581 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreison Rhodes View Post
Africa is a continent with hundreds of languages and scores of countries, it's kinda like "should europe host the olympics?". The Olympics are hosted by a country, not a continent.
The question could be interpreted as "can any city in Africa meet the requirements to host the olympics".

In general, I don't think that's currently a possibility.

Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 AM

1,492 posts, read 2,734,809 times
South Africa has hosted the Soccer and Rugby world cups, so it is probably the most credentialed to host the games, as it already has some large stadiums etc.
These are massive events, so it is a proven fact that it can be done.
That is not to say that somewhere like Cairo can't throw it's name into the bidding ring either.
Some say that the Olympics result in wasted resources, and so-callled ""white elephants"" after the event is over - and there are some apparent in Sydney, but that should not stop or discourage a country from trying.
It still should be great for Africa as a whole though, just as Rio de Janeiro in South America will be hosting the next games for the first time ever.

Old 08-11-2012, 08:39 PM

674 posts, read 699,428 times
Kenya has made a bid for the 2024 games. Kenya to bid for 2024 Olympics - CNN.com

We'll see if they can convince the IOC that they are ready.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,995,297 times
Yes I want South Africa to host one. If they do, I want them to ALLOW Vuvuzelas so third world fans (who I notice tend to have higher tolerance for such noisemakers to begin with) can toot them and distract athletes from first world nations and give their national teams an advantage during the two week competition and change the medal table (which is obviously dominated by rich powerful nations in the first place, hence making the whole thing boringly you know who's gonna do well overall from the get go) around a bit to make things interesting. If this is so, I may go and join the Vuvuvzela orchestra while they're at it... Hehehehe!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa