Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 09:49 AM

3,260 posts, read 3,772,785 times

Advertisements

Point taken.

However, I think many people group many of the countries together because outside of a handful of cities where there is some wealth, most of the continent faces many of the same problems. Hell, even in those cities they face those problems, they just also happen to have first world services in places like Nairobi, Cairo, Casablanca, the larger cities of South Africa, etc.

It isn't just an Ameri-Centric line of thinking either. I know plenty of Europeans who have no idea of the vast differences between your "average" Texan, New Yorker, Californian, Vermonter, or Alabamian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 09:56 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,327,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveklein View Post
Point taken.

However, I think many people group many of the countries together because outside of a handful of cities where there is some wealth, most of the continent faces many of the same problems. Hell, even in those cities they face those problems, they just also happen to have first world services in places like Nairobi, Cairo, Casablanca, the larger cities of South Africa, etc.

It isn't just an Ameri-Centric line of thinking either. I know plenty of Europeans who have no idea of the vast differences between your "average" Texan, New Yorker, Californian, Vermonter, or Alabamian.
By the same token, how many Americans try to argue that Europe let alone European nations are all one big homogeneous collection of shared western cultural values. But I would argue that the variance between America's diverse is far less than either Africa or Europe.

PS - One thing that Europeans do know is the historic distinction between European-Americans and those of Native or African descent.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:19 PM

502 posts, read 655,419 times
I counted 18 countries in Africa bigger than Texas, just to put things in perspective...

And most of them display more diversity than the whole of the US.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:51 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post
I counted 18 countries in Africa bigger than Texas, just to put things in perspective...

I count 16.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:21 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,585,042 times
I agree with the OP in general. However, I think the confusion comes up because the national identities themselves are a bit arbitrary. In terms of identity the country is not nearly as important as the ethnic group. And many Africans prefer to identify themselves by ethnic group over national origin. The message that comes across (even if its only implied) is that national identity is not very important. Being identified as an Igbo or Fulani is more important than being identified as Nigerian or Cameroonian.

Of course most Westerners know even less about the ethnic groups.

Old 04-23-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I think the confusion comes up because the national identities themselves are a bit arbitrary.
...and a purely western invention.

Old 04-25-2015, 02:44 AM

1,770 posts, read 1,663,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikebxl View Post

And most of them display more diversity than the whole of the US.
In terms of what? What kind of diversity?

Old 04-25-2015, 03:14 AM

62 posts, read 88,021 times
Hello,

Africa represents a remarkable homogeneity in physiognomy (black hair, black skin and brown eyes is extremely prevalent) and all the countries there are more or less underdeveloped.

I know what I said is totally wrong, but this should be considered as the main answer from an average western guy... It gives clue about the 2 important following questions : What do they look like ? How wealthy are they ?

Old 04-25-2015, 08:23 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,389,281 times
One of my pet peeves when people refer to it as a country--

IT is a CONTINENT!!!!!

Old 04-25-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjfk35 View Post
Hello, Africa represents a remarkable homogeneity in physiognomy (black hair, black skin and brown eyes is extremely prevalent)
Nice use of homogeneity and physiognomy but nooooooo!

That is precisely the kind of.... I don't know how to put it.... nonsense(?) that the thread was posted to refute.

When it comes to genetic diversity, no people on the planet are more genetically diverse than in Africa and this is particularly true for "Sub-Saharan" Africa.

Human skin color diversity is highest in sub-Saharan African populations. - PubMed - NCBI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa