Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 12:16 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,463,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalabama View Post
No, what you are stating is that the west is practicing slavery, and that is not true.

Slavery is literally a part of the US constitution. What are you talking about? Just because they use a nicer name ("prison") doesn't mean it isn't happening. You folks have such a love affair with lies and denial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 06:29 PM

32 posts, read 14,161 times
I don't know much about Mugabe but I hear his wife was a big spender. In all fairness though whos wife isn't .

Old 09-15-2019, 07:12 PM

30,619 posts, read 18,203,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post

Slavery is literally a part of the US constitution. What are you talking about? Just because they use a nicer name ("prison") doesn't mean it isn't happening. You folks have such a love affair with lies and denial.
In that case, every society practices and has practiced slavery. But we all know that imprisonment after being convicted of a crime is not the kind of slavery that is condemnable. Rather, its slavery by virtue of status or being sold into bondage that is the problem.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:09 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,025,620 times
Well the black zimbawean who was critical of Mugabe was a CEO of a company in his own country. He got his education and training during the white regime of Rhodesia. Even though Blacks were considered second class citizens in Rhodesia, there were still blacks that benefited yet they were likely the minority like the Black Zimbawean I knew. Also the standard of education of Rhodesia was higher standard for Blacks than South Africa. Yet during that time of Rhodesia where the UK did not officially recongise that country, they allowed Blacks and Whites from that country towork and study at that country as it was during that time when Britian allowed people from their formal colonies to immigrate enmass to the UK, and Black African communities at that time were being established in places such as London.

I even encountered a White person who invested in Zimbawee during the 1990s before the Land grabs. the Land grabs would have scared investors off and even with the sanctions foreingers saw that Zimbawee was not a good place to invest, and even the Black Zimbawean I knew left during that time when there was a clopase of the economy.

I believe it was a mistake for collective punishment on a nation due to the punishment for the leaders of the country.

Sure the foreigners had a role where they were responsible for some of the economic crash, however Mubage regime was also becoming increasingly authoritarian and cracked down on dissident in his own country. Of course, there was also some reported violence on those that supported Mugabe and those against him. Also, Mugabe also financed an expensive war in Zaire during the worst economic crisis and sent tens of thousands of troops there.

During that time there was a massive number of refugees from there fleeing to South Africa, others that had plenty of money or had UK passports fled to places such as the UK, and others immigrated to Australia and New Zealand, etc. The Australian government did welcome the White Zimbabwean farmers, and some conservative MPs are calling for White South African Farmers to be given preference to immigrate to Australia, just like the White Zimbabwean farmers did.

The ones that fled to South Africa were subject to xenophobic attacks as they were accused of taking jobs of South Africans as South Africa has a huge unemployment problem.

Overall I am sure Mugabe strived the best for his people, and early on his regime, there were reforms that benefited the people. He was a revolutionary leader, and a wise choice he would have been better off doing, in the long run, have taken the first example of the first US president George Washington and retire gracefully. George Washington was no saint still, and he was a slave owner, but he was remembered as liberating his country, and I am sure Zimbabweans did play an key role in liberating his country.

Old 09-15-2019, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
In that case, every society practices and has practiced slavery. But we all know that imprisonment after being convicted of a crime is not the kind of slavery that is condemnable. Rather, its slavery by virtue of status or being sold into bondage that is the problem.
The US still practices slavery and it's legal according to its own constitution. I would say I can't believe you're trying to make excuses for something that's written in plain English for all to read, but in a certain person's America, this is par for the course.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:18 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,911 times
As far as I know, every nation in the world has prisons. Call it slavery if you wish, but you know it is only linguistic contortion on your part. If you want to abolish prisons in your country, start the movement and see how how many join your parade.

Old 09-16-2019, 11:38 AM

How did abolishing prisons enter this conversation? You guys sure do know how to go from A to 100 when you have a weak argument. The only one contorting reality is you. I know how difficult the truth is for many of you. Pray about it?

Old 09-16-2019, 12:04 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,793,911 times
You introduced the word “prison” to the discussion of slavery. When you are able to articulate the basis for your claims of slavery existing in the US, perhaps we will be able to have a reasoned discussion.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:21 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,065,277 times
Herenow1,

1. I'm not going to say that someone you spoke to lied. That is their perspective and one that I disagree with. One person can't entirely ruin a country or entirely save it either as there are several factors that makes a country successful or unsuccessful (government, private sector, education, infrastructure, access to trade and free markets, industries, etc).
2. Not sure why you want to compare India with Africa? At the time British colonized India it took a differing approach than it did with Africa. They didn't interfere with tribes and religion. At the time of India's independence land reform was at the top of their agenda when it dealt with their colonizer. Without land reform there is no equity. India & China have historically always been at the forefront of trade. India didn't have overthrown governments and or several wars. There has never been true democracy in Africa. African nations after liberation I don't believe understood capitalism.
3. Africa is growing and at a faster rate than India.
4. The West interfered with Zimbabwe's growth. Zimbabwe worked effectively with neighboring African countries, China, and Russia. Let the West sanction India and see what happens to its economy. Many South American countries have been operating in a less than perfect economy same with many countries in Europe. There are many factors for this and it usually involves interference by other dominating countries and structural issues and is not the failure of one person. Zimbabwe has differing industries to India, the Indian industries are growing.
5. No I don't think people should run countries for life but don't believe term limits should be identical to the West. No one has an issue with China's president.

Old 09-16-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.
"Punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted" = prison. Straight from your US constitution.

This county found a legal loophole to continue slavery. You do know prisoners have jobs and make things that are sold on the market, right? Slavery. You can convince yourself otherwise. It doesn't change the facts. It also explains why blacks are wrongfully convicted at high rates and/or serve longer sentences than whites who commit the same crimes. This country was not going to give up its bread and butter enterprise. Don't be silly.

There is nothing to "discuss" outside of you trying to avoid calling a spade a spade. None of us were alive during slavery, so you don't actually know if the system was similar to what exists today. All you know is what the history books tell you it was like. Some slaves were beaten. Guess what? So are prisoners. Just might not be with whips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa