Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 01:43 PM

12 posts, read 78,954 times

Advertisements

I can chime in.

I grew up on Woodard off Park (within spitting distance of Davey school - was Davey Jr. High - now is an elementary I believe).

Excellent middle class neighborhood. Safe. Quiet. Tree-lined streets. Kids all walk to school. Nice homes but nothing ostentatious. No McMansions here Roomy yards.

You are light years away from "campus life." There was virtually no way to even know you were on campus until you crossed through Downtown. On that side of town everything changes a bit.

FWIW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 04:32 PM

17 posts, read 99,059 times
Default re

Infoplease - that is the exact neighborhood I'm looking to live in! I love it over there. There was a house on Bryce I was pining for but it wasn't meant to be.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,517 times
Default Please Help!- Country Side Of Kent???

Hello, I am from West Virginia. I may possibly be attending college at the School of Journalism and Mass Communications at Kent University in Kent, Ohio, and I was wondering how the "country side" of Kent is. I was wondering if there were perhaps mountains... or at least semi-big hills?? Please let me know! Pictures would be nice.

If there are any towns close to Kent that have more of a country feel to them, I would appreciate being informed. My fiance and I have grown up in West Virginia and are die-hard fans of the mountains and hills. We would be even more homesick than initially if we are in a flat enviroment...

Thanks to all,

Brittany

Last edited by brittanyceleste; 03-21-2007 at 12:33 AM.. Reason: wanted to add something to this.

Old 03-21-2007, 05:35 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,374,414 times
dont expect any mts in kent, there is farm land to the south.
you can visit the cuyahoga valley national park to see some rustic sights, the valley creates a vista which might help you out when you yearn for the mts. but it wont be near as majestic . its been a long long time since i traveled the kent area, i imagine it is pretty much developed these days but i cant say for sure!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:10 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,559 times
The most impressive thing to me about the whole Kent State campus when I visited there, was those little black squirrels from Canada. They're so cute! And they're everywhere...

But yeah, to answer your questions...

NE Ohio, where Kent is located, is definitely the coldest and snowiest part of the state. They certainly get more nasty winter weather than Southern Ohio, although Kent still may not be as bad as Cleveland or Ashtabula (right on the lake).

Coming from SD, you'll find the cost of living very affordable! You'll be pleasantly surprised how far your money goes.

Diversity? Depends what you mean. It does have the university of course, and those tend to make any area more diverse, I guess...

Nearest big city is Akron, a 20-minute drive. Nearest bigger city is Cleveland, about a 45 min–1 hr. drive depending where you wanna go.

Old 04-11-2007, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,361 times
Hello, I'm applying to an MA at KSU and I think all the information you give is quite helpfull. I'm french so I really try to see what I'm going to need to live in Kent. I was wondering about the Bus and transportation: is it easy to do most of things without a car (by food, go to class, go downtown, etc??) even when it snows? thanks for your answer.

Old 10-03-2007, 06:53 PM

1 posts, read 6,199 times
to answer the above question...Here is the website for kents bus system

PARTA

as for snow the buses still run and campus keeps the sidewalks pretty clean...from one side to the other it is like 20-30 mins depending on how fast you walk...you usually take the same route everywhere you go unless you find those lil short cuts lol

man i have to say some of you have some pretty scewed views about kent

in general it doesnt snow that bad in kent...like a couple have said it is below the snow belt so its not snow storming constantly...you will have the occasional heavy snow strom and cold weather...but its usually not that bad in winter

cost of living is pretty cheap in kent...however not the best of houses if you want to rent, or even buy (the nice ones are never for sale lol)...and from personal experience most of the rental companies suck...im currently in a lawsuit battle with a company named NDS ( Neighborhood Development Services)...do not go with them they will rip you off BIG TIME...another company MoneyPenny does most of the rentals in kent...but from what i heard they arent too good either...they dont allow pets from what i heard as well

i would recoment living in Stow...its like 10 mins from kent state and homes are pretty nice there and the cost is a little more than kent, but still alot cheaper than SD lol

idk who was taking about having small grocery stores??? but you should know that their is an acmes right by campus that can rival giant eagle...also with in the next year the Wal-Mart down the street from campus (going towards revenna is remodeling into a Super Wal-Mart...Plus they are building brand new apartments right across the street from wal-mart...also the city of kent has just opened a huge library...

campus is amazing...Just last year and this year they completed new honors dorms and a new tech building that has the most advance stuff you can find out there...kent state also has a huge very very nice rec center...Their Student Center, which holds the resteraunts ie. quiznos and lots of other stuff...it was just remodled a good 3-4 yrs ago or so...its is very nice...just a few months ago their icearena had put in new bleachers and new locker rooms

Kent is trying and succeeding to build up their city and it bothers me that ppl are saying its not that nice of a city and kinda dumpy...BC ITS NOT...have you ppl even been to kent with in the past year...bc alot of buildings have been put up and alot have been remodled

as for highschools...kent roosevelt has earned its respect with their sporting teams each year...its big school and their acedemics is more than acceptable...also down rt. 14 streetsboro is building a brand new high school..and with that they are reduing rt. 14 into 2 lanes on each side...so no more constant backup

ok for raising a family...you are NOT going to have a problem with the college students unless you live right next to them...their frat houses exist just in like the 2 blocks closest to campus...so if you move out 3-4 blocks from campus you are not going to have a problem at all...yes teenagers are going to go out...and yes they are going to go to partys...but you know what, no matter where you live that is going to happen...rarely does a party get busted up and everyone gets arrested...the cops may come but they will just tell you to cool it down and turn off the music...thats about it...crime is extremely low as well

chapil hill mall is nice...its a mall so whats there to say about it...but like someones else said, there a bagillion stores around it...so if you cant find something in kent, take a 20min trip to chapil hill and you will find everything you need lol

as for the big cities in the area...cleveland is the second largest city in ohio...alot of cool stuff to go see...might i add cleveland is the home of the central al champs the Indians lol...also we just got a brand new AHL hockey team who are one of the bests in AHL...Of course the Cavs which i hope most of you know made it to the NBA Finals, but got crushed lol...also there is the Rock n Roll Hall Of Fame, a sophisticated Science Center, thats just a few of what Celevand has to offer...Akron, is not my favorite city...too many confused roads, one way streets, this and that...i dont like going there...but im sure it has its good qualities so dont count it out

well i hope this information helps you more than what people have said since its long as hell and gave good details about kent

Old 10-31-2007, 04:51 PM

26 posts, read 115,064 times
chapel hill mall USED to be nice- now it's a haven for gangsta wannabees and is a ghetto mall. Kent does have some awesome food and is a quaint little college town- stow is very nice and hudson is expensive- $$$ twinsburg is the snow belt line- anything above the stow/twinsburg line gets lots of snow- stow has THE BEST snow removal I have seen anywhere in the US. (and I have lived everywhere).

Old 01-22-2008, 07:49 AM

177 posts, read 700,531 times
The best years of my life were when attending Kent State. I stayed living close to campus for the 5 years after I graduated because my jobs were initially in Cleveland suburbs and eventually worked in Akron for a few years. No way did I want to give up the rec center, the low crime, the fun of walking around campus, and being around fun people (students and faculty). It was a simple life and it being able to go to Cleveland in less than an hour and Columbus in 2 hours on the weekends made Kent a great hub. I could always return from work or going out and just relax.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:54 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post
The best years of my life were when attending Kent State. I stayed living close to campus for the 5 years after I graduated because my jobs were initially in Cleveland suburbs and eventually worked in Akron for a few years. No way did I want to give up the rec center, the low crime, the fun of walking around campus, and being around fun people (students and faculty). It was a simple life and it being able to go to Cleveland in less than an hour and Columbus in 2 hours on the weekends made Kent a great hub. I could always return from work or going out and just relax.
I agree, I am doing that right now. Home is only 50 minutes away, and Columbus and Cleveland are right there. It is certainly a good hub for larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Akron - Canton