Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 05:39 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Columbus my whole life and thought I'd put in my two or three cents.

First to answer the Montgomery versus Columbus question. Well, it depends. Montgomery would probably be better for shopping. They do have a few more stores that we don't have like Buckle. Do they still have the ice skating rink at Eastdale Mall? But I like downtown Columbus for nightlife. I like the fact that there are so many bars all within walking distance.

Say what you want negative Masterbucket but for someone who has lived here for sooooooooooo long you are certainly forgetful. Columbus has improved exponentially in just the past few years. Downtown is fun for nightlife. The shopping has gotten so much better. If you think about the only stores that we don't have are either too expensive or lame anyways or so unique there aren't enough customers to support it. For example I really like Buckle. But it's expensive when would I actually buy $90 jeans or a $50 polo shirt? Rarely. I mean I like Bloomingdales and Versace but again who can afford them? Some but enough. If a business thinks they will make money here then they'll set up shop no matter how lame the town.

I just get irritated when people complain about not enough shopping in Columbus. Columbus has all the retail it can support. There's only so many people who can shop at certain awesome stores.

Again Columbus has improved so much in the past years how can someone who has seen all the improvements sit there and moan and groan?

Columbus isn't perfect the economy sucks. I finished college nearly a year ago and still haven't found anything in my field. I feel like I have no choice but to move. I tried but I'm sorry I'm too educated and too old to work at the mall forever.

So to sum up the original question. If you're in Auburn, most of your shopping can be done in Auburn. Auburn has also improved exponentially if one can't find what they need in Auburn then go to Columbus it's closer than Montgomery. Nightlife is pretty good in Columbus it's no Atlanta but that's why they invented cars. Everybody needs to do it up in Atlanta every now and then.

Quote:
Race relations are horrible. Caucasians are the minority.
What's that supposed to mean? Yes if you look at census figures whites are in the minority. And?!! There are plenty of recreation facilities on both sides of town. There's Shirley B Winston on Steam Mill but there's the rec center your neck of the woods in Midland. There's the rec center next to Northside High school. There's Cooper Creek and Flat Rock parks. Crime can happen on both sides of town. I know a guy who stays off Moon Rd who got his car stolen right from in front of his apartment.

As far as retail hell. Surely you remember when we didn't have a Target? Or if you really wanna go back in time when we had no Walmart? Just a couple of Kmarts and that Zayres off Victory Drive.

Yeah Columbus can be unbelievably lame at times. But it's not all bad people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 07:49 AM

104 posts, read 139,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
Masterbucket you are a hoot!!!
Your bike was stolen on your first day in town. 1969 - and you are still sore about it?
No lake access? Ever heard of Green Island Marina? By the way - the game warden is pure eye candy.
Average income 30-40k - you are not informed, you pay your employees not enough or people do not chat with you.
Have you considered taking driving lessons? Car not golf.
You are right - as long as you are not interested in water sports, golf, foot ball, flying, hunting, fishing, the arts ... absolutely nothing to do in town.

You forgot to complain about the US Military, the local Asian population and Phenix City:>)
Actually you may want to take a few reading classes as the post was from a resident in Midland.
And the Green Island Marina shack was torn down about 2-3 weeks ago.

Old 06-06-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
I've lived in Columbus my whole life and thought I'd put in my two or three cents.

First to answer the Montgomery versus Columbus question. Well, it depends. Montgomery would probably be better for shopping. They do have a few more stores that we don't have like Buckle. Do they still have the ice skating rink at Eastdale Mall? But I like downtown Columbus for nightlife. I like the fact that there are so many bars all within walking distance.

Say what you want negative Masterbucket but for someone who has lived here for sooooooooooo long you are certainly forgetful. Columbus has improved exponentially in just the past few years. Downtown is fun for nightlife. The shopping has gotten so much better. If you think about the only stores that we don't have are either too expensive or lame anyways or so unique there aren't enough customers to support it. For example I really like Buckle. But it's expensive when would I actually buy $90 jeans or a $50 polo shirt? Rarely. I mean I like Bloomingdales and Versace but again who can afford them? Some but enough. If a business thinks they will make money here then they'll set up shop no matter how lame the town.

I just get irritated when people complain about not enough shopping in Columbus. Columbus has all the retail it can support. There's only so many people who can shop at certain awesome stores.

Again Columbus has improved so much in the past years how can someone who has seen all the improvements sit there and moan and groan?

Columbus isn't perfect the economy sucks. I finished college nearly a year ago and still haven't found anything in my field. I feel like I have no choice but to move. I tried but I'm sorry I'm too educated and too old to work at the mall forever.

So to sum up the original question. If you're in Auburn, most of your shopping can be done in Auburn. Auburn has also improved exponentially if one can't find what they need in Auburn then go to Columbus it's closer than Montgomery. Nightlife is pretty good in Columbus it's no Atlanta but that's why they invented cars. Everybody needs to do it up in Atlanta every now and then.

What's that supposed to mean? Yes if you look at census figures whites are in the minority. And?!! There are plenty of recreation facilities on both sides of town. There's Shirley B Winston on Steam Mill but there's the rec center your neck of the woods in Midland. There's the rec center next to Northside High school. There's Cooper Creek and Flat Rock parks. Crime can happen on both sides of town. I know a guy who stays off Moon Rd who got his car stolen right from in front of his apartment.

As far as retail hell. Surely you remember when we didn't have a Target? Or if you really wanna go back in time when we had no Walmart? Just a couple of Kmarts and that Zayres off Victory Drive.

Subprime loan rating for 2008

RankMetropolitan Areahttp://maps-cache.dataplace.org/image/icon_metadata.gif (broken link) Pct. of conventional mortgage loans by subprime lenders 2008 http://maps-cache.dataplace.org/image/arrow-dn.gif (broken link) 31Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater, FL Metro23.7% 32Chattanooga, TN Metro23.6% 33Lakeland-Winter Haven, FL Metro23.4% 34Orlando, FL Metro23.3% 35Salinas, CA Metro23.3% 36Enid, OK Metro23.3% 37Las Vegas, NV Metro22.9% 38Greeley, CO Metro22.7% 39Springfield, MA Metro22.6% 40Baton Rouge, LA Metro22.6% 41Sacramento, CA Metro22.5% 42St. Joseph, MO Metro22.5% 43Columbus, GA Metro22.4%

Old 06-09-2008, 12:14 PM

913 posts, read 2,986,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masterbucket View Post
And the Green Island Marina shack was torn down about 2-3 weeks ago.
To make way for a bigger and better one!

Have a great day as you say!

Old 06-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLCOL1 View Post
To make way for a bigger and better one!

Have a great day as you say!

About 25 years too late but that is nothing new for Columbus either......a day late and a dollar short as they say
Green Island residents are already trying to figure out a way to keep regular citizens from being able to use it as we speak since the only reason this is being upgraded is for their benefit and to help increase the value of their property..

And as far as great days go I have had plenty....hope you all do too!!

Old 06-20-2008, 01:18 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,975,515 times
I don't know much about Columbus other than driving through there on my way to Alabama and the nice riverwalk downtown, but the fact that masterbucket has such a negative and cocky attitude towards everything there, I personally wouldn't go by just his opinion.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
I don't know much about Columbus other than driving through there on my way to Alabama and the nice riverwalk downtown, but the fact that masterbucket has such a negative and cocky attitude towards everything there, I personally wouldn't go by just his opinion.
I guess it would be better than planning a trip to Columbus for the weekend and then find out that they would have been better off staying home.
It is ok to be positive but honestly the Columbus booster club posters are not giving folks the real situation especially the downtown area which has been plagued by crime(people being robbed and attacked on broadway as well as riverwalk).
I know several folks with the Sheriffs Dept who have told me about numerous reported crimes that are never on the news/local papers(I just wonder why?)
Anyway,..time to hit the pool and enjoy the evening....
Have a great weekend everyone.

Old 09-22-2008, 07:11 PM

6 posts, read 23,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post

Those Kmarts wouldn't happen to be on Macon Road & Airport Thruway? I haven't heard of Zayres in a looooooooooooooooooooooooooong time.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times
Thumbs down Columbus is NOT the place to be!

I wholeheartedly agree with masterbucket... my husband was born and raised in Columbus, GA. He left town to attend college in another state, but had to return a few years after graduating because of an ailing parent. And he couldn't stand being back there!

I've visited often since we've been married (we live in Atlanta), and there's nothing going on. The locals do think it's the 'be all end all', but most of the people I've met there are limited in their travels and can't imagine anything better exists.

Mail is frequently opened before it's delivered, to include packages with some of the contents missing. Tires have been slashed, items stolen. One night when we were visiting, we heard a noise outside of his parents house and looked out of the window... two guys ran down the side of the house and down the street with guns... it was apparently a shot we heard. And this is just what I can think of off the top of my head that's happened in the past year.

There would be NO WAY I'd raise my kids in Columbus!

Old 02-19-2010, 11:21 PM

150 posts, read 467,821 times
I had to stay 3 days in Columbus for work a few months ago. My first night there, I was standing out on the balcony and a car pulls up and 2 guys jump out and rush into their room with a dufflebag and then return to the car and drag an unconscious guy into the hotel. A few minutes later 3 dudes spent about 15 minutes smashing into the vending machine near my door. The clerk came out and looked up at them, then went back inside and no police ever came. This was in the middle of downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama