Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:07 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextphase123 View Post
I'm moving from NJ where I was born and raised. Husband's work is taking us to the Ft. Rucker area and I'm wondering what life is like there? Reading the other comments is somewhat terrifying but yours is so positive. Hope my experience is the same!
There are several threads involving Fort Rucker, Dothan, Daleville...do a search and you should find them.
Welcome to Alabama!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 12:18 AM

10 posts, read 25,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
We're from someplace else and have made lots and lots of friends and enjoy an active and fulfilling social life. So I can say without question that this is total, self-pitying baloney. Don't blame the town because of your basic inability to make friends.
Don't just brush this person off becuase you can't empathize with what their saying. People get defensive when the word racism is used. There are some people and some places that are racist in Alabama. Until we recognize this fact it will never go away. Stop putting your head in the sand.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:47 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G00D View Post
Don't just brush this person off becuase you can't empathize with what their saying. People get defensive when the word racism is used. There are some people and some places that are racist in Alabama. Until we recognize this fact it will never go away. Stop putting your head in the sand.
Don't be fatuous. That person claims that, in the eight years she's been here, she has not made ONE friend. And this is in Birmingham, a town that has a major university, plenty of arts organizations, and a pretty broad range of communities.

When somebody makes that kind of claim in a town that has more than a million people, I know that the poster in question has probably never stepped outside her comfort zone, and probably would have difficulty making friends wherever.

Just as an example, we know one girl who moved here from out of the country just a couple of months ago. She is extremely smart, engaging, and embraces life. Guess what? She has already made a great number of friends, and always has something going on in her life.

In short, your attitude is the main determinant of whether you're going to be lonely or not--not the community in which you reside.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:49 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nextphase123 View Post
I'm moving from NJ where I was born and raised. Husband's work is taking us to the Ft. Rucker area and I'm wondering what life is like there? Reading the other comments is somewhat terrifying but yours is so positive. Hope my experience is the same!

I agree you might want to do a search (if you need help let me know) or post a 'new' thread. We have a few ppl who stop by that live in that area or have lived there. That area is use to transients due to the base.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
I know the cost of living/wages vary in different states but Alabama is one of the few places I'm seriously considering relocating to in a couple more years. Somehow (maybe its a wrong guess) but states where living/wages are higher seem to tie in with faster paced lifestyles in most cases where slower costs/wages can be simple, slower paced. Just observations from living in or visiting different states several times. Calif living sure doesn't even compare to OK, etc. Personally I'd like to visit there sometime soon.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:50 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
The best thing about AL is you have the beach in S. AL and the mountains (well we call them mountains) in the N. AL only 5 hours apart

I met another xFL resident today who just moved to N. AL.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:48 PM

18 posts, read 106,612 times
That it isn't Mississippi. ;-)

Old 12-01-2009, 02:31 PM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
I can say that Alabama is a beautiful state. Keeper is right - you have the ocean and mountainous areas close by. N. AL is a great place - not perfect but no place is. Our property taxes are 1/5th of what we paid in Wisconsin and 1/2 of what we paid in Georgia. You should visit.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:24 AM

24,569 posts, read 10,869,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawoods View Post
I can say that Alabama is a beautiful state. Keeper is right - you have the ocean and mountainous areas close by. N. AL is a great place - not perfect but no place is. Our property taxes are 1/5th of what we paid in Wisconsin and 1/2 of what we paid in Georgia. You should visit.
Have you followed the law suit concerning AL property taxes?

Old 12-02-2009, 08:00 AM

1,178 posts, read 2,838,392 times
No I haven't. Has it been going on long? Relatively new here so bring me up on it or give me some links. Even if it goes up I can't complain. Still would be reasonable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama