Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 06:23 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,655,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
I started with the kit and got the base, 18-55 & 55-200 lenses. It's a good place to start at a resonable price.
The D5000 is fine as long as the 55-200mm f/4-5.6G will fill your needs. But if you begin to feel a need to expand your horizons... for example if you want to shoot portraits with a blurred background, it you want to shoot indoor sports or any event in a gymnasium or auditorium... You'll be looking at the 70-200mm f/2.8G or, on a tighter budget at an older 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D. And guess what, the hundreds of dollars saved by buying the D5000 rather than a D90 or now the D7000 goes out the window!

An $800 used 80-200mm f/2.8 AF-D will work on the D90 and D7000, but you're stuck with a $2400 price tag on a new 70-200 f/2.8G AF-S VRII that will work on the D5000. (There may be a occasional used model at probably $2000, and the original VR model can be found used too at maybe as low as $1200.)

The best you can do there is break even. If any of the other AF-D lenses would be useful (even the 50mm f/1.8 that sells for less than $100), you're losing money with the D5000.

And the 80-400mm is a good example:

Quote:
A longer lens like the 80-400 would be nice and I will have one eventually but I'm very pleased with my purchase.
You'll have to get a different camera body first, because it is an AF-D lens and will not auto focus on the D5000. Here's the key wording from the Nikon D5000 specifications (emphasis added): "Compatible lenses ... D AF NIKKOR not equipped with an autofocus motor: All functions supported except autofocus"

The 80-400mm may or may not be extremely significant to you, but it is very likely to be the first serious lens purchased by a photographer living in Barrow. A 400mm lens is too short here! (The 80-400mm will work with a Kenko Pro300 1.4x Teleconverter, giving a 560mm focal length. It has VR and can be handheld.)

A camera body that works with the 80-400mm is essential in Barrow if any kind of serious wildlife photography is intended.
Quote:
You may also want to consider photo editing software before purchasing a very expenses lens.
Use UFRAW as a RAW converter and GIMP for editing. Total cost is fairly reasonable at probably 2 hours of your time and $0 on the budget.

I'd advise looking at a good carbon fiber tripod though, and they aren't cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 06:52 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,924,052 times
Thank you for your wisdom, Floyd. Maybe you could elaborate next time.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Do you know a Mr. Tidwell, Floyd? He's local and does wildlife and has a lot of his pictures up at the AC. He got a pic of a Short Eared Owl that needs to be seen. Stunning picture.
I know who he is, and we occasionally say hello. John isn't one of my close friends, but several people that are casual friends are very close friends of his.

He does some petty good wildlife photography, eh? He's the one who started the tour business taking people out to Point Barrow to see polar bears. He is still doing some tours, with a Hummer, I think. He's in the tour business because he's gonna go anyway and if he takes someone along he gets the fun of showing them what he enjoys... and they pay for the gas too!

Old 09-15-2010, 07:07 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I know who he is, and we occasionally say hello. John isn't one of my close friends, but several people that are casual friends are very close friends of his.

He does some petty good wildlife photography, eh? He's the one who started the tour business taking people out to Point Barrow to see polar bears. He is still doing some tours, with a Hummer, I think. He's in the tour business because he's gonna go anyway and if he takes someone along he gets the fun of showing them what he enjoys... and they pay for the gas too!
He said he sold the tour business but he does take people out on occasion. I work with his daughter so I have an in.

Really nice guy, we spoke at length and he gave me some good tips. All of the photographers I've met or spoken to have been very nice and shared some info. John, at Wells Fargo, also free with the tips. I'm really enjoying Barrow.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Really nice guy, we spoke at length and he gave me some good tips. All of the photographers I've met or spoken to have been very nice and shared some info. John, at Wells Fargo, also free with the tips. I'm really enjoying Barrow.
Have you met Cindy Shults yet? She's more "art" oriented and less of a techie than myself or those Johns. She's also a whole lot better looking too! Every time we're taking pictures of the same event I tease her that I can do something she can't! Yep, I can photograph Cindy Shults at work! She's pretty photogenic too, so that's not really just an idle joke.

Cindy is Mike Shults' wife, and Mike is Joe the Waterman's older brother. Those are Fran's two boys. Cindy definitely has the character to match the family!

We don't really have a lot of photographers in Barrow, but yeah the group certainly has character!

Old 09-15-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Have you met Cindy Shults yet? She's more "art" oriented and less of a techie than myself or those Johns. She's also a whole lot better looking too! Every time we're taking pictures of the same event I tease her that I can do something she can't! Yep, I can photograph Cindy Shults at work! She's pretty photogenic too, so that's not really just an idle joke.

Cindy is Mike Shults' wife, and Mike is Joe the Waterman's older brother. Those are Fran's two boys. Cindy definitely has the character to match the family!

We don't really have a lot of photographers in Barrow, but yeah the group certainly has character!
I met Fran at the AC a few days but haven't met the rest of the family as far as I know. I need to walk over to Pepe's and have a meal. I think I'll go tomorrow.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:30 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer, it just makes you a owner of a Nikon...

Old 09-15-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
Buying a Nikon doesn't make you a photographer, it just makes you a owner of a Nikon...
Never said it did. I said "new photographer wannabe." Emphasis on the new and wannabe bits.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:33 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,137,109 times
It's a photography saying, I was joking around. I'm a owner of a Canon, I could learn a lot more!

Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
It's a photography saying, I was joking around. I'm a owner of a Canon, I could learn a lot more!
See, I'm such a wannabe I don't know the saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska