Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 01:09 PM

1,437 posts, read 4,804,155 times

Advertisements

Read for yourself.....I can't believe this...

JuneauEmpire.com – Updates » Monday, September 20th, 2010 » FDA to consider approval of modified salmon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2010, 01:20 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
I don't think it'll be approved.

If it is, they may get around the labeling thing as far as it being engineered fish goes, but they'll still have to comply with various state regulations concerning how it must be labeled if it is farmed. With a little help from the press---which I can guarantee you this will get if it passes--could drive even more consumers away from the farmed salmon market.

Wild Alaskan salmon consumers can and will and do pay quite a bit for the real thing; I don't see this as any real competition. The other concerns, though, are extremely valid ones.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,959,040 times
If the company pays off enough lawmakers I'm sure it'll be available for sale.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:19 PM

109 posts, read 166,973 times
This article just provoked an animated debate in my office. It was kind of cool actually, since most of the time we just talk about football, hunting, or simply talk smack to each other.

On the one hand, (the office "pro hand" I suppose) there are enough people in this country (and the world!) hungry and desperate enough that they will eat this fish if it can be cheaply provided to them, regardless of the unknown long-term impact of genetically modified animal meat. I guess from the POV of a starving man, dying in 20 years from some crazy frankenfish-inspired disease is preferable to dying in 4 weeks of malnutrition.

On the other hand, the "against hand," (I'll throw my hat in here) it is impossible to state with certainty what the effects of playing around with the DNA of another living thing are. If the FDA enforced a 100 year study and got some volunteer foodies, they might have statistical data to fall back on for a determination. Full steam ahead and let's see what happens, that is a one-way door on a potentially global scale. Relying on the corporation to provide empirical data is, at best, ill considered. Or, if you prefer, just stupid. Of course the company is going to say their product is the best thing since sliced bread, it's THEIR product!

The cynic in me of course doubts that it will improve food prices (it will, however, improve profits!). I also believe it sets a dangerous precedent if it passes, because after the FDA says fake fish are okay, the fake cow/sheep/emu people will be lining up right behind them. I think the determining factor will be if the FDA allows it to be marketed as "normal" because it is "close" with no labeling distinction. If they do, it will open up the GMO animal industry floodgates wide. Yay, big business!

Personally, I'm all for local food these days, meat, plants, milk, whatever. Sam Walton gets as little of my business as possible. Less miles on my grub, the happier I am. If you don't want GMO plants, grow your own. Same goes for meat and milk. Do it yourself, or find someone you know/trust to do it.

So, upside, if they go forward, they improve food supply to feed the masses. Downside, they could potentially kill a significant amount of people with side effects of some kinda genetic herpagohnasyphilaidsbola. And hey, NOBODY wants to go out that way. Yikes.

Old 09-20-2010, 02:32 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,035,544 times
No, this is going to raise the price of wild farmed Alaskan Salmon because people aren't going to buy the frankenfish.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
No, this is going to raise the price of wild farmed Alaskan Salmon because people aren't going to buy the frankenfish.
The frankenfish industry is pushing for it not to be labeled as genetically engineered, so the only labeling laws that would apply to it would be individual state laws, which for the most part would mean that it would only have to be labeled as farmed salmon, which it is. The consumer wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

But people who will eat farmed salmon will probably eat genetically engineered salmon as well, since they have little concern about the crap that they put on their plates and into their bodies.

And

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
There is no such thing as wild farmed Alaskan salmon. Did you mean farmed Atlantic salmon?

Fish farming is banned in the state of Alaska and has been since around 1990. In North America, farmed Atlantic salmon is raised primarily on BC's west coast. The frankenfish are Atlantic Salmon which have been spliced with a King salmon gene which eliminates the normal dormancy in their growth cycle and makes them grow bigger much faster.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 09-20-2010 at 05:18 PM..

Old 09-20-2010, 05:18 PM

3,881 posts, read 4,127,100 times
This gal will never knowingly purchase farmed salmon. Unfortunately, some of their genetically modified/engineered fish have already 'escaped' and gotten into the general population.
ugh.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:19 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,022,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
But people who will eat farmed salmon will probably eat genetically engineered salmon as well, since they have little concern about the crap that they put on their plates and into their bodies.
Yes, I hear they actually have to add red dye to the water to stain the meat red, otherwise its just a pale, pasty white. YUCK

Old 09-20-2010, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Yes, I hear they actually have to add red dye to the water to stain the meat red, otherwise its just a pale, pasty white. YUK
It's actually a pale, pasty gray.

In many states, it has to be labeled as dyed. Other places....well, you can pretty much bet that anything called "Atlantic Salmon" is farmed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska