Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 05:40 PM

281 posts, read 446,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Ever gone to a State Fair?

You know, where the whole community spends an entire week with festivities for young and old... and where they judge and give prizes for the best farm animals, all of which are then slaughtered.

Really now!
So instead of refuting my claims, you acknowledge that animals are nothing more than a product for you. That speaks volumes about you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,730,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
Reading these sorts of threads it always shocks me to see how people treat animals so industrially, nothing more than 'dumb beef' to be processed into food or whatever else suits their captors. Especially the comment someone made saying disecting whales was all good fun for the whole community. Really now?
Where do you live?

Human beings survived and evolved by "treating animals industriously".

Of course they celebrate when they get a whale. That means they are going to survive a bit longer.

That may not be totally true today, because food from the lower 48 can be brought into Barrow by plane and maybe one of these days they will have a Wal*Mart there as well (do you have one now, Floyd?)

But is that a better answer? Do you think that if more societies practiced the 100 mile diet, then maybe animals in general would have a better lot in life?

I eat very little meat at all but I'd rather have whale meat than factory farmed beef.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:24 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,738,798 times
would love to see all the grocery stores close for 6 months or more an see what all these idjits would do for food!!! hahahaha a lot of us could go hunting, fishing, raid our pantries that have our "gardens" put up in jars/cans an the freezer if one is so lucky to have electricity to run it!!!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:27 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,864,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan3 View Post
No matter how you cut it, whaling is wrong in my opinion.

I understand tradition and culture, hell I've been around the world..

But it's just wrong. Those who kill whales should be ashamed, and so should
we all for allowing this in our country.
It must be frustrating, living in a world that does not follow your rules.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
If you read back to what was said and what it was that I answered you'd realize how reading challenged you are. Learn to read before you take something out of context. The post I answered stated they had the US Government running a first class propaganda machine against them as part of the reason they had people disapproving their whaling. All I did was supply correct facts. Why don't you try the same thing?
No, the talk of WWII atrocities is way off topic here. The subject is whaling, not WWII atrocities and related propaganda. That's the same nonsense Watson et al use, they try to stir up hatred over WWII atrocities.

Old 10-05-2010, 06:48 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,654,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
Well excuse me for not knowing what wildlife roams the streets of Barrow. What are you going to do, take away my ability to collect SS, welfare, food stamps, unemployment, medicare, medicaid?
Huh? You don't really think I'm going to vote for Joe Miller do you!

But keep in mind that some folks here will.

Quote:
You going to do away with minimum wage, too? You're the type person who would eliminate all of my safety nets just because I didn't know all the animals hunted by Eskimos.

Just for you I'll replace my Wool Felt Fedora with a Tricorn Hat.
You need to read what I write, and not be so imaginative! :-)

Of course now you have me wondering if that last statement was just a fortuitous accident, or are you familiar with Joe Vogler (who famously wore a felt hat). Vogler, who also featured himself a Constitutional Lawyer, was a much more entertaining Joe than this Miller guy! First, there was never ever any danger that he could win an election. Second he use to go to the Tanana Valley Fair every year and set up a booth where he'd talk for hours with anyone. High school kids used to just love arguing politics with him! Where else can an 11th grade H.S. student clearly out debate a candidate for Governor! It was great entertainment for parents, and kept the kids out of trouble.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richelles View Post
No I don't hate any one but I answered what Floyd said about how our government did something wrong by publishing what they had done. You need the context of what I was answering.
Our government was not publishing "what they had done" though. Indeed, most of the allegations against the Japanese research had only been "done" by exactly one country: the US. We set up a "research project" when Sperm whale hunting was banned, because our military needed Sperm Oil at the time. But you never hear about that, eh?

The context you cite has nothing to do with whaling in 2010. It has to do with race bias. We don't treat the Germans and Italians that way, or even the Russians. And they don't treat us that way either. And you can be assured that all of us did things during that war that we don't want to remember. Just keep in mind that Nanking only rates right there with Hiroshima/Nagasaki. Humans are not nice.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:11 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,512,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Where do you live?

Human beings survived and evolved by "treating animals industriously".

Of course they celebrate when they get a whale. That means they are going to survive a bit longer.

That may not be totally true today, because food from the lower 48 can be brought into Barrow by plane and maybe one of these days they will have a Wal*Mart there as well (do you have one now, Floyd?)

But is that a better answer? Do you think that if more societies practiced the 100 mile diet, then maybe animals in general would have a better lot in life?

I eat very little meat at all but I'd rather have whale meat than factory farmed beef.
No Walmart but there is the AC which is equivalent to a big box store. One aisle there's frozen food, another one has ATVs for sale.

There are people here, elders especially, who do not visit the AC or eat anything other then a traditional diet of whale, caribou, etc. They're still eating muktuk(maktak) from the spring season.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
Huh? You don't really think I'm going to vote for Joe Miller do you!

But keep in mind that some folks here will.

You need to read what I write, and not be so imaginative! :-)

Of course now you have me wondering if that last statement was just a fortuitous accident, or are you familiar with Joe Vogler (who famously wore a felt hat). Vogler, who also featured himself a Constitutional Lawyer, was a much more entertaining Joe than this Miller guy! First, there was never ever any danger that he could win an election. Second he use to go to the Tanana Valley Fair every year and set up a booth where he'd talk for hours with anyone. High school kids used to just love arguing politics with him! Where else can an 11th grade H.S. student clearly out debate a candidate for Governor! It was great entertainment for parents, and kept the kids out of trouble.
My entire comment was just a funnin', I know where you stand on politics, and Joe 'the plumber' Miller.

Old 10-05-2010, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by think first View Post
My entire comment was just a funnin', I know where you stand on politics, and Joe 'the plumber' Miller.
I thought that was obvious!

But I really do want to know if you are aware of old Joe Vogler, because the crack about hats was just astounding, if you knew what you were saying. If you didn't know about Vogler, you must have an angel sitting on your shoulder whispering in your ear, cause that was hilarious. (And only to someone who was around 20-30 years ago.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska