Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:15 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
Hey - you ever live in Maine or NH?
Yep, New Hampshire. Mostly in Hooksett, but I spent about 4 months in Tamworth as well staying with some relatives. My short list of places to live if I don't stay in Asheville is basically Tamworth, Fairbanks, and possibly Rutland, Vermont. New England is my happy place, I miss it terribly. I really do think I will end up back there one of these days, but not until I have a job in hand. Finding jobs in Tamworth is quite a task, and they're mostly blue-collar. I wouldn't mind doing blue-collar work, but it would be tough to make it my permanent career. Live Free Or Die!

The thing is, I've lived through quite a few New England winters, but Fairbanks winters are an entirely different ballgame. I can deal with shoveling snow in New England (and that's a lot of shoveling of a lot of wet snow!), but -30F with the wind blowing on the tundra is mind-blowingly cold. I am sure I could deal with it, but it would take some adjustment. In NH, in the White Mountains, -10 or -15 wind chills are not entirely uncommon, but -50 wind chills?! That's really hard to imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 12:13 AM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
I don't think there are any real innocent towns...anywhere. Because people live in them.

There was a murder a couple days ago in Talkeetna...that's about as idyllic a town as you can imagine.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:32 AM

6,381 posts, read 14,563,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khe9310 View Post
I am in 11th grade in high school.
I want to home stay in a small snow town.
Did anyone watch 'The Holiday'? with Cameron Diaz&Kate Winslet..etc?
In the movie Cameron and Kate goes to each other's houses for vacation.
I really want to move to a place where Cameron goes for vaca.

Here, if you want to go to a place where you stand a good chance of meeting or seeing famous people like Cameron or Kate with a lot of snow, here is a list of the places that attract them....

Ski Slopes For Rich And Famous (http://ezinearticles.com/?Ski-Slopes-For-Rich-And-Famous&id=863200 - broken link)

Old 11-06-2010, 05:58 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
khe9310....suggestion...as you are right in NY..in Feb...drive up to Valcore or Quebec Canada for the ice festival or ice races...an spend a week...we go every year and it is on the average of -40 - -50 with high winds...you have to either plug you vehicle in or go out every 2 hours and start it, let it run for 20 mins to a half hour....spend 6 hours a day outside while there....that will give a a very good idea of whether you really want to live in Alaska....oh...the difference in Canada is...you can drive to a large town in a matter of 10-20 mins where places is Alaska this will not be possible.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:36 AM

158 posts, read 270,279 times
[SIZE=3]Moving to Alaska appears to me that you are looking for a quality of life change. Judging from what I have read I don’t blame you. If you think you are going to escape all those issues you presently see around you, ie do drugs, gangs, hard partiers etc. your wrong in going and you will be wasting your time. Knowing what the issues are presently, which I think you do, and making right choices regarding them defers the need to move. It is only up to you whether or not you indulge in those listed activities. You have to learn to resist peer pressure. Just because someone encourages you to try something doesn’t mean it is right. You have to think of the ramifications of your actions and walk away if the answer is wrong. Remember you are presently working on a career and employers want to see squeaky clean wrap sheets before the hire you. You probably not thinking of that right now but I suggest you keep that in the back of your mind when you hang with friends. No employer will hire you if they see any major items.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]On the other hand if you truly like the snow and the outdoors that go with the area then Alaska is for you. It is a different life style to live out there. Remember all your new friends are going to be outdoor enthusiast meaning that winter will bring snow skiing, snow mobiling, ice fishing, hunting and more. So if this is the style of life you want as a teenager, I say go for it. It is also important to make the same right choices as we spoke about above and you will get along fine up there. Opportunity knocks, remember there is gold up in them thar hills !!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hope this helps.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]al[/SIZE]

Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 AM

157 posts, read 240,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
New England is my happy place, I miss it terribly.
I lived in York, Maine for several years, and spent a winter in Caribou. A place that is frequently the coldest spot in the lower 48 (wicked cold). The wind coming off the potato fields is something, but I agree, learning to live in -40 weather plus a windchill.... brrrrrrr! But, I always say you can get used to almost anything

VT is also one of my favorite stops. I spent many many summers not to far from Burlington.

I always thought that I would move back to Maine. Never did happen, but I have really enjoyed living in WI. Now I am getting ready for the next adventure, moving to Anchorage! Looks like I will be there after Thanksgiving - I am very excited.

No Carolina is also lovely. The Blue Ridge Parkway was one of my favorite motorcycle rides. Just breathtaking in the fall.

Every state has something to offer, we just need to take advantage of what is there.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:10 AM

14 posts, read 20,932 times
haha thanks everyone.
btw, I'm a girl
& I live on long island so it's not really cold here
we have typical summer fall winter spring weather
& I absolutely love snow
hm but if I actually don't go in my high school years..
I'm thinking of going to a private college there

Old 11-06-2010, 08:17 AM

14 posts, read 20,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mideast View Post
[SIZE=3]Moving to Alaska appears to me that you are looking for a quality of life change. Judging from what I have read I don’t blame you. If you think you are going to escape all those issues you presently see around you, ie do drugs, gangs, hard partiers etc. your wrong in going and you will be wasting your time. Knowing what the issues are presently, which I think you do, and making right choices regarding them defers the need to move. It is only up to you whether or not you indulge in those listed activities. You have to learn to resist peer pressure. Just because someone encourages you to try something doesn’t mean it is right. You have to think of the ramifications of your actions and walk away if the answer is wrong. Remember you are presently working on a career and employers want to see squeaky clean wrap sheets before the hire you. You probably not thinking of that right now but I suggest you keep that in the back of your mind when you hang with friends. No employer will hire you if they see any major items.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]On the other hand if you truly like the snow and the outdoors that go with the area then Alaska is for you. It is a different life style to live out there. Remember all your new friends are going to be outdoor enthusiast meaning that winter will bring snow skiing, snow mobiling, ice fishing, hunting and more. So if this is the style of life you want as a teenager, I say go for it. It is also important to make the same right choices as we spoke about above and you will get along fine up there. Opportunity knocks, remember there is gold up in them thar hills !!![/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Hope this helps.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]al[/SIZE]
oh yeah definitely.. I have a clean record.. never did anything illegal
& I am an outdoor person

Old 11-06-2010, 01:22 PM

2,519 posts, read 7,031,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khe9310 View Post
haha thanks everyone.
btw, I'm a girl
& I live on long island so it's not really cold here
we have typical summer fall winter spring weather
& I absolutely love snow
hm but if I actually don't go in my high school years..
I'm thinking of going to a private college there
Come on up...you will be fine. My daughter just left for Argentina...kids are nuts these days. If you have a sense of adventure you will enjoy it.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:04 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,627,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bthorn31 View Post
I lived in York, Maine for several years, and spent a winter in Caribou. A place that is frequently the coldest spot in the lower 48 (wicked cold). The wind coming off the potato fields is something, but I agree, learning to live in -40 weather plus a windchill.... brrrrrrr! But, I always say you can get used to almost anything

VT is also one of my favorite stops. I spent many many summers not to far from Burlington.

I always thought that I would move back to Maine. Never did happen, but I have really enjoyed living in WI. Now I am getting ready for the next adventure, moving to Anchorage! Looks like I will be there after Thanksgiving - I am very excited.

No Carolina is also lovely. The Blue Ridge Parkway was one of my favorite motorcycle rides. Just breathtaking in the fall.

Every state has something to offer, we just need to take advantage of what is there.
Seems we've lived in some of the same states. I currently live in WI. As mentioned I lived in upstate (Oswego) NY, and spent a summer living in Lake Placid and 9 months in Burlington, VT.

When I was younger my family lived in a small town about 30 miles SW of Portland, ME. I've also lived in MI, FL, WA, and SC for 7 months.

You're right, all states have something to offer, some more than others.

Alaska is on my radar screen, but that's not a real sure thing at this point and time.

What is a real sure thing is me going to my neighborhood tavern right now and getting myself a beer and burger. Maybe two beers. Maybe thr...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska