Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 03:12 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
hahaha...there are two slots running on each side of the bottom pan, in my oven that open flames can be seen through these an if grease or things run over it will flame up and yes it is suppose to be this way! again I will photograph next time I use it...an I don't need a repair man! hahahaha I purposely bought this style oven by the way as it is also a convection gas!
I tried to rep ya but I'm all out for the day.
I have a Gas over too. Just 1 year old. It's perfectly fine and I agree with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 03:17 PM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I tried to rep ya but I'm all out for the day.
I have a Gas over too. Just 1 year old. It's perfectly fine and I agree with you.
love it! don't know how anyone cooks on those dang electric contraptions!

Old 02-16-2011, 03:46 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,696,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyta View Post
SD that oven would have to have an open flame (ovens do not have open flames in the actual cooking area of the stove) and even then would need to reach a temp around 550*F to 600*F in order to ignite the fat.

National Association of Fire Equipment Distributors (NAFED) | Welcome
SD has a point. Whale oil has a slightly different chemical makeup than the oils used in the tests here. A little more benzine, I believe. That's why it worked so well in lamps in the stone age.

Whale oil can have a flash point lower than the temps needed to bake cookies.

I've heard that things cooked in seal fat are pretty tasty though.

Old 02-16-2011, 03:47 PM

1,923 posts, read 4,714,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflames50 View Post
love it! don't know how anyone cooks on those dang electric contraptions!
And after living in Delta with frequent power outages and at times living in cabins with no power at all, we have learned that gas is much better then electric.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM

104 posts, read 180,127 times
I cannot find any info on the subject of flash point for whale fat, so I have to take your word for it. But as for the oven there are slots in it, but you should never see the flames comming into the cooking area. If there is the flame is adjusted to high. I know I have had to adjust this on gas ovens before.

Old 02-16-2011, 04:51 PM

110 posts, read 376,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
And after living in Delta with frequent power outages and at times living in cabins with no power at all, we have learned that gas is much better then electric.
Same here in RI. We've never had an electric stove here for the exact same reason (and the fact that it doesn't regulate heat well)

Old 02-16-2011, 04:53 PM

110 posts, read 376,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I've made pie crust with black bear grease instead of lard...Cliff Hudson let me look through some old journals one of his ancestors wrote when they moved to the upper Susitna back in the 1800's some time and the recipe was in there.

Wow. Cliff Hudson was also mentioned in Peter Jenkins' book (hate to keep bringing that up again, but I've been recognizing the names). He just died last year, I heard, when I googled it to make sure I remembered the name right.

Old 02-16-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethmarywhite View Post
Wow. Cliff Hudson was also mentioned in Peter Jenkins' book (hate to keep bringing that up again, but I've been recognizing the names). He just died last year, I heard, when I googled it to make sure I remembered the name right.
He did. Last spring if I recall. His son Jay was a neighbor/friend of mine (Jay died over a year ago of cancer).

Old 02-16-2011, 05:32 PM

And..I don't know how whale fat would perform in cookie dough etc., but it wouldn't stir fry worth a damn I'm sure.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,782,944 times
One time, many years ago. We ran out of fuel for our small house in Point Hope but we did have a wood stove.

All I could find for wood was soaking wet - saturated wet.

We loaded up the woodstove with that wet wood. (we had no other choice.)

We put in one piece of sicpan (seal blubber). We lit the paper and the flames began to melt the blubber and it coated the wood and began to burn.

every half hour or so - we would put in another small piece of sicpan. About he size of a milky way bar.

It is very easy to tell if you have added too much. The stove pipes (exhaust) will turn cherry red. TOO HOT!!

Aside from the stink of that stuff. that house was toasty warm. It was 3 days before that wood actually dried out and caught fire and was gone .

By then, we had rounded up a good stash of wood with help from friends as I had no honda or showmachine (1982).

The fumes from blubber (whale or seal) are just like fumes from gasoline but not quite as via tole I know I didn't spell that word right.

Anyway - thanks for your input !! (Met)!! I sure appreciate your positive comment!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska