Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:43 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times

Advertisements

It was pretty darn good when I ate there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,651,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by german_in_alaska View Post
I did read those, i think everyones got a different taste, so i will make my own experiences and try every restaurant out there to find my favorite.
You very definitely want to do that!

Eating at restaurants in Barrow isn't like "going out" to eat in other places. Or at least it isn't for 1 or 2 people, though for a family it gets to be the same. The reason is because it's really difficult for 1 person, and barely possible for 2, to buy food cheaper than the food at a restaurant. Plus they are virtually all "mom and pop" type places. They don't work the same as a McDonalds or a Denny's or whatever.

Every place in town has "good" food. Some cost a bit more for this, some are a bit better at that, but every single place is fun to visit. They are all an adventure in at least some way, and some of them more so than others. I just don't really know how to describe Pepe's North of the Border Mexican Restaurant accurately, for example. Nor the Teriyaki House. Most of the others, except Sam & Lee's, are easier to describe, but those three are not within the range that people from other places can grasp from written words. Ya gotta see it.

Moose Whisper got to see "Sam & Lee's", but I put it in quotes because it still isn't quite the place it will be in a few months. They re-opened in December, and it was pretty sterile. It's beginning to develop flavor though. The places where they stack soda pop along the wall are now covered with marks, for example, instead of looking freshly painted. A couple of kids have written things on the cupboards downstairs. And the walls (which once had huge paintings, photographs and Oriental art) were bare until a few days ago. There aren't any curtains yet either. I've hung perhaps 25 large photo prints on the walls in the past week. Today at lunch a friend who is going down to Anchorage on Sunday was given a sample of curtain cloth and requested to buy curtains for all the windows. By summer, it's going to be "normal" again!

It's a real adventure to make the rounds of eating joints in Barrow. Different people, both in terms of customers and workers, and different experiences. And there is a big difference between the recommendation for a person who will be here for 2 meals, or for someone who has been here for years, than would be appropriate for someone spending their first 6 months in Barrow.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:56 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
Pretty wild how many people are moving to Barrow on this forum. It seems like there are more people coming on here who are moving to Barrow than any other place in Alaska, really. I mean, I haven't seen a whole lot of "moving to Kotzebue" or "moving to Bethel" type threads nearly as often as these Barrow ones. It seems that a lot of people have heard of it these days too. I was telling a friend of mine the other day that I am potentially moving to Alaska when I get my degree (although I will definitely be taking a summer job up there in 2012 at the very least), and one of the first things out of his mouth was, "Oh, I heard about this Point Barrow place, supposed to be the northernmost settlement in the US." I was shocked. I didn't think random, everyday people who aren't geography/relocation nerds like me had heard of Barrow!

Floyd, you gotta go make sure the flood gates are closed tight! Would hate to see the population of Barrow grow much. Of course I'm halfway joking; I don't think even 1 in 30 people could handle the climate and daily life in Barrow. Probably not even that many, actually.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:02 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,020,530 times
Actually, it could get much worse. If this rumor turns out to be true, it could be a disaster for Barrow:

Quote:
"Deadliest Catch" creator Thom Beers says he's working on at least three more Alaska projects.

One's about gold mining. One Beers can't talk about.

He's casting for another one now. The pitch: Families willing to move to Alaska for work will be transplanted to the dark, frozen North Slope. Filming will likely begin just as the sun sets for two months straight, Beers said in recent a phone interview from Los Angeles, his cell phone reception crackling along Mulholland Drive.

"The show's called 'Lock, Stock and Barrow,'" he said.

Reality TV invades Alaska: Life | adn.com

Old 02-17-2011, 08:25 PM

8 posts, read 41,385 times
I have to say the only real scary thing for me is the weather, i normally like it around 80F, but i think to get that i have to go to the sauna up there.....lol
Like every woman i tend to freeze easily.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
Actually, it could get much worse. If this rumor turns out to be true, it could be a disaster for Barrow:
I can't really speak to that, but I'll verify that producers working for the Discovery Channel program are putting out feelers in Barrow and asking questions.

I can't imagine it will be any better or any worse that the previous ones...

Old 02-17-2011, 08:38 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post

Reality TV invades Alaska: Life | adn.com

Sign me up! I can teach. Well I can teach.special education not sure if there's a real demand for that in Barrow.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
Pretty wild how many people are moving to Barrow on this forum.
It's actually just sort of an illusion. Because there are two or three jerks on this forum who try to misrepresent Barrow every time it is mentioned (a strategy that clearly has backfired on them), Barrow gets a lot of press time on C-D. That in turn attracts google's search engine, and so anyone who is interested in Barrow finds us. They not uncommonly post to ask more questions too. Someone looking for info about Kotzebue or Dillingham or Cordova doesn't see much to attract them. Bethel gets a good bit of attention because Warpt is prolific, but the twits don't attack Bethel much (which is an amusing change from 30 years ago when it was a place that got a lot of bad press while Barrow is getting good reviews everywhere).

Quote:
Floyd, you gotta go make sure the flood gates are closed tight! Would hate to see the population of Barrow grow much. Of course I'm halfway joking; I don't think even 1 in 30 people could handle the climate and daily life in Barrow. Probably not even that many, actually.
It certainly is not the place for Joe The Plummer. But we've got several Joe's, Joe The Waterman is not the only one... who are unique themselves and find Barrow to be an ideal place.

Incidentally, Barrow was steadily increasing in population up through about 2000, and then took a real nose dive. Some claim that is changing right now and that it is going back up, but I haven't seen any figures to support that yet. It hit a peak of almost 6000 people in maybe 2001, and was less than 4000 last year.

Kinda makes this "Lock, Stock, and Barrow" title sound about 10 to 30 years out of date. It ain't like the early 80's anymore...

Old 02-17-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by german_in_alaska View Post
I have to say the only real scary thing for me is the weather, i normally like it around 80F, but i think to get that i have to go to the sauna up there.....lol
Like every woman i tend to freeze easily.
Well, there's a couple things a woman needs to know about Alaska, and they certainly apply in Barrow. Supposedly the odds are good! (Actually, they aren't, but...) And the goods are odd... (absolutely true).

The other one is for fellas, and goes like this: In Alaska if you annoy your girlfriend you don't breakup, you just lose your place in line.

Now, what you need to realize in Barrow is that you will be inside (with the thermostat perhaps set to 80 or 85 even)... and the line of odds are the ones outside in the cold, not you.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,846,746 times
I would just think that a community as small as Barrow would be heavily impacted by the presence of huge Discovery Channel TV crews is all. It's surprising to me that the town is OK with that kind of disturbance going on, but I suppose it is revenue, and that is never a bad thing, especially when you're in the middle of a VERY vast wilderness. Still though, I think it would be a bit too invasive for a community that small. Have they filmed reality television in Barrow before?

Also, what kind of work is it that is so easy to get up there that people are able to just move there for work? I mean, if the jobs are there and easy to get, I would like to give Barrow a go myself for awhile, really. I've always been fascinated by it, and hell, if it's that easy to find a job, why not? I'm sure it's not though, and that that's just a reality TV distortion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska