Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 08:57 PM

4,989 posts, read 10,018,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
I can't imagine it will be any worse ...
It will be if Palin ends up being the host!

Seriously though, I'm more worried about the type of people these shows seem to attract. For example, we know now that the crew of the Deadliest Catch used the show as a front for running drugs into Dutch Harbor all these years...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 09:06 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
^ Wait, what?!

And yeah, have they filmed reality television in Barrow before? Someone was making it sound as if they had.

Also, my question stands: are there really a bunch of jobs up for grabs in Barrow? Is it really that easy to move there? Because if it is (which I somehow doubt), I could definitely see myself giving it a go in Barrow at some point after I get my degree. Who knows, I might just fall in love with the place.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:29 PM

3,539 posts, read 7,650,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
I would just think that a community as small as Barrow would be heavily impacted by the presence of huge Discovery Channel TV crews is all. It's surprising to me that the town is OK with that kind of disturbance going on, but I suppose it is revenue, and that is never a bad thing, especially when you're in the middle of a VERY vast wilderness. Still though, I think it would be a bit too invasive for a community that small. Have they filmed reality television in Barrow before?
No reality shows, but Hollywood has been here, the National Geographic and Animal World, and nothing was quite the same as the bit with the "rescue" of three whales back in 1989 or whenever it was. They don't quite make the splash here that they do in larger towns. Basically, nobody here cares. For example when they filmed portions of that whale movie here a while back the star of the show was at Pepe's several times... and had to tell people who he was because nobody said anything if they did recognize him. Joe The Waterman was introducing him to folks, and they'd say "Hello". Then Joe would point out that they just said hello a move star. Most folks said, "Okay", and took another byte of their breakfast... Some said "Really?", and then took another bite.

Quote:
Also, what kind of work is it that is so easy to get up there that people are able to just move there for work? I mean, if the jobs are there and easy to get, I would like to give Barrow a go myself for awhile, really. I've always been fascinated by it, and hell, if it's that easy to find a job, why not? I'm sure it's not though, and that that's just a reality TV distortion.
Some jobs are easy to get, some are not. If you are a nurse, a doctor, or a school teacher there are jobs a plenty. It isn't too bad for cops either. Everything else that pays well is exceedingly difficult. On the bottom end, low end jobs at AC are always available, as are other minimum wage jobs. Hence if you have the grit it takes (or have family or friends that will support you for the months it takes to get established and well employed), anyone can do it.

Jobs such as executives, technical, or those requiring administrative skills are all here... but it's who you know that gets the job. So it might take two or three years, literally, to land a good job if that is the kind of work you are qualified for. And of course some kinds of technical work simply don't have positions available except on a very very rare occasion. For example, lewis4011, who moved here recently, is an extremely well qualified RPG programmer for an AS400 computer. I don't know if there is another one in town, but if that is what you do it might not be real soon before there is another opening! I worked in the telecommunications industry, and there is probably never going to be another position available in Barrow for what I was doing.

Old 02-17-2011, 09:47 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,116,924 times
I can see the future...

sity will spoil this thread!

Old 02-17-2011, 10:10 PM

1,981 posts, read 3,845,838 times
^ Oh no, don't bring him out! That will become a self-fulfilling prophecy really fast.

Interesting to hear about the job situation, although not terribly surprising. Teachers and medical types tend to be able to go mostly where they want, which is one of the reasons it would be nice to be a teacher. Still though, my goal in life is to work outdoors, and being a school teacher does not fit that requirement. In fact, the North Slope is pretty much off of my list because of that. It would be hard to do forest resources work in an area with no trees! (I am aware that this is an exaggeration, there are some trees, but it seems that the farther north toward the coast you go, the less likely you are to ever see a tree.) For Alaska, I am targeting either the interior or southcentral.

But this isn't about me, it's about Barrow! One thing I was wondering: what is the deal with the land there? On a satellite map, the land looks like a sponge: porous, full of water holes. Towns like Kotzebue that are just a slab of buildings sitting on a very thin strip of land floating in the sea... I don't understand how that works. I don't even know how you would go about building a foundation for a structure on ground like that. Hell, I can't even imagine what ground like that would feel like or be like in person. It's a type of ground you only seem to see in very Northern locations, places where all those water holes are frozen for 9 months out of the year, making them not really water holes at all. Still, I'm curious about how that works; how people build on it and why the land is the way it is.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 AM

1,753 posts, read 2,902,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Whisperer View Post
All hands man your battle stations!
That was down right funny. I tried to rep you but apparently need to spread the luv.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:11 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,875,072 times
Default I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
That was down right funny. I tried to rep you but apparently need to spread the luv.
Tried also with the reps... especially on the Palin statement but we just gave Moose too much love lately LOL... Barrow is definitely on my "to visit" list... Sam & Lees .... so many great places and people so little time All of you have a great day... we here in Wisconsin get to battle the Govenor here with his idiotic budget and kids not going to school ... (they actually sent out the sheriffs to pick up the democrats that left the session in protest with the teachers) .....hey but it is warmer LOL Reminds me of the Vietnam protests... Oops!! showing my age now LOL

Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 AM

8 posts, read 41,382 times
I got a german nursing degree, but it doesn't count in the states, what sucks bad. The only thing my degree is worth here is a associate in social work. I would love to go back to work, even would take a low wage job, but than on the other site there is the cost of day care, we will see, maybe i will find something that pays more than just money for day care.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,731,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipOfFools42 View Post
^ Wait, what?!

And yeah, have they filmed reality television in Barrow before? Someone was making it sound as if they had.

Also, my question stands: are there really a bunch of jobs up for grabs in Barrow? Is it really that easy to move there? Because if it is (which I somehow doubt), I could definitely see myself giving it a go in Barrow at some point after I get my degree. Who knows, I might just fall in love with the place.
no forests in Barrow! not sure how your degree translate to work in Barrow...tundra studies maybe???

Old 02-18-2011, 12:42 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,361,230 times
my guess is to find some native fishing friends in that area from Barrow. most of diet fish and then buy and cook side dishes. then go to Fairbanks for dinning out for about a week when spring breaks with warmer weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska