Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 12:47 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,737,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
For those who think Alaska is the place to go to get away from government intrusion, they are wrong. I have never been more harassed in my life since I moved back to Alaska. I, too, would love to be left alone.
I've never felt harassed by "big government" here unless you can count certain overweight and overly self impressed and overly stupid halibut cops, but lately it does seem like "small government" is getting to be a bit pesky. Things like...my son walking his dog on a summer evening and having some Trooper ask him what he was doing...on his own father's land. Lots of little things like that have been going on for the past several years here.

The Village cops are great; they tend to stick around long enough to actually get to know the people who live here. But I'm hating the way some of these state Troopers act like these villages they do their training in are their own little micro police states.

And for the last three years the Troopers seem to think it's their job to skulk around the docks just in case someone might have caught a halibut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 08:24 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/19723979-post3.html

Assumption? No. Wth dude? You weren't always this rude.
As I said, not in this thread.

If you want to pretend Skwentna is anywhere close to the interior you apparently do need a geography lesson.

Old 06-24-2011, 09:27 AM

811 posts, read 1,318,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Getting back to the original question, I think in the last few years a lot of people living comfortable, modern, suburban lives have started to realize that that lifestyle leaves something to be desired. Working your butt off to live in a nondescript house in a nondescript suburb isn't necessarily cutting it, especially when it seems so easy to lose it all. All over the country people are getting back into more traditional skills, growing gardens, raising chickens, and so on. More people are starting to want to feel like real people and know how to take care of themselves a bit more. And even though a lot of that stuff is actually harder to do here, thanks to three-month growing seasons and whatnot, if people are thinking in different ways then maybe it's becoming more acceptable to live somewhere like this. They're allowing themselves to think of it as a possibility. And it's different than most places down there. In a lot of the Lower-48, all the towns look the same these days. Doesn't matter where you go, you've got the same chain-store junk in all of them. It's boring. If you're looking for something new, Alaska seems about as different as you can get for most people without having to deal with immigration. I think it's great if more people are looking for a bit of adventure. If they make it up they'll find out pretty quick if it's for them or not.
GREAT post . Thank you!!

Old 06-24-2011, 09:31 AM

811 posts, read 1,318,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Uh...well, he has been known to get all temperamental on us every now and then. He's not such a bad old guy but I think there are occasions where he gets into the Cabernet, which causes his inner sociopath to spring merrily to life. At least he drinks the good stuff.

Anyway, yeah...Indy did say a couple different times she (?) was interested in the interior and speculated that the weather might perhaps be quite similar in parts of WI. I wouldn't know firsthand, but I have heard others who have experienced both places say that one of the major differences is is that in Alaska, the weather can change so much faster than in the upper Midwest.
Speaking of drinks where has been CC been??

Last edited by Rance; 06-26-2011 at 05:17 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 10:48 AM

468 posts, read 800,053 times
Speaking of the weather, we are coming from Minnesota. I thought for day to day, the basic premise was the same. Buy the correct outwear for the area you will be living and layer accordingly underneath. Here you might be dressed for -20, but it is hot enough at the schools for the kids to strip down to t-shirts and jeans.

Am I right about this? I am basically packing my kids like I would for life here and will have my husband buy their winter gear once they arrive there. I figure they will be able to find the best stuff for Alaska...in Alaska. I am sending some coats with them, but don't expect them to count as their winter gear. I am also sending them with Bogs since they can double as rainboots and will work in cooler weather. My husband has a few days left at Dicks Sporting Goods and I am using that discount when I can to be sure.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:33 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,878,100 times
Default Yes Indeed!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
Getting back to the original question, I think in the last few years a lot of people living comfortable, modern, suburban lives have started to realize that that lifestyle leaves something to be desired. Working your butt off to live in a nondescript house in a nondescript suburb isn't necessarily cutting it, especially when it seems so easy to lose it all. All over the country people are getting back into more traditional skills, growing gardens, raising chickens, and so on. More people are starting to want to feel like real people and know how to take care of themselves a bit more. And even though a lot of that stuff is actually harder to do here, thanks to three-month growing seasons and whatnot, if people are thinking in different ways then maybe it's becoming more acceptable to live somewhere like this. They're allowing themselves to think of it as a possibility. And it's different than most places down there. In a lot of the Lower-48, all the towns look the same these days. Doesn't matter where you go, you've got the same chain-store junk in all of them. It's boring. If you're looking for something new, Alaska seems about as different as you can get for most people without having to deal with immigration. I think it's great if more people are looking for a bit of adventure. If they make it up they'll find out pretty quick if it's for them or not.
Thanks Tigre... I am educating myself... visiting at least 3 times before I make the final move... I am not doing this under any false or daydream imagination ... I believe taking care of ones self is my basic need and I seek the "back to basics" and having the ability to get to isolation... I experienced many days recently what that isolation is like and I MISS IT ... of course staying on a boat was a bit better then a tent but we did keep the generator off most of the time due to enjoying the silence and hearing nature more... Naturesdreams indeed

Old 06-24-2011, 11:37 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunabell View Post
Speaking of the weather, we are coming from Minnesota. I thought for day to day, the basic premise was the same. Buy the correct outwear for the area you will be living and layer accordingly underneath. Here you might be dressed for -20, but it is hot enough at the schools for the kids to strip down to t-shirts and jeans.

Am I right about this? I am basically packing my kids like I would for life here and will have my husband buy their winter gear once they arrive there. I figure they will be able to find the best stuff for Alaska...in Alaska. I am sending some coats with them, but don't expect them to count as their winter gear. I am also sending them with Bogs since they can double as rainboots and will work in cooler weather. My husband has a few days left at Dicks Sporting Goods and I am using that discount when I can to be sure.
Coming from Minnesota you are certainly no stranger to cold winters. However, it depends on where you live in Alaska that will determine how your family should dress. If you could provide a rough idea of where in Alaska you will be moving, we can be more specific about the weather conditions in that area.

Old 06-24-2011, 11:38 AM

6,994 posts, read 12,740,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild_to View Post
Speaking of drinks where has been CC been??
quoting C.C. "this time of year I am stingy with my time"...he is busy playing as a lot of people are with all the daylight time.

Old 06-24-2011, 12:26 PM

468 posts, read 800,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Coming from Minnesota you are certainly no stranger to cold winters. However, it depends on where you live in Alaska that will determine how your family should dress. If you could provide a rough idea of where in Alaska you will be moving, we can be more specific about the weather conditions in that area.
My husband and younger 2 daughters are moving to Atqasuk this year. We all are driving up them up to Fairbanks. My oldest and I are coming home so she can have surgery and we will be up there for the next school year. I know it is colder up there than anything we are used to here. THanks!

Old 06-24-2011, 12:33 PM

455 posts, read 743,957 times
Default A glitch in logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As I said, not in this thread.

If you want to pretend Skwentna is anywhere close to the interior you apparently do need a geography lesson.
Let's put geography aside for a moment and consider English grammar. My quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticState View Post
he said he was interested in the interior, or I think Skwentna...
See that little word "or" in there? It's called a conjunction. It is used to connect words or phrases representing alternatives. Thus, in the above quote, "interior" is presented as an alternative to, not associative to, "Skwentna". For practice, let's use "or" in a sentence:

"You are either a troll or a nitwit."

This statement carries much different meaning than,

"You are both a troll and a nitwit."

Get the distinction? You may have some trouble understanding since I didn't use emoticons. If not, glad I could help. You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska