Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 01:50 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,791,297 times

Advertisements

If you are at the front door of the Police station, with your back to the station, this is the view.. ..

Last edited by Rance; 07-10-2011 at 03:14 PM..

Old 07-10-2011, 02:21 PM

206 posts, read 514,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Wells Fargo - When you deposit cash, many days later, that deposit is still pending, because the plane didn't make it to Anchorage.

That is the constant excuse people in Kotzebue & Barrow receive for their continued excessive overdrafts!!
Ummm considering you can deposit your funds directly to the ATM now without an envelope, your a little off base here Sity. It takes 3 days to process checks, its stated on your deposits, on there website, on the ATM when you deposit, in a flier at the bank, and if you like when you ask a teller.

Excessive overdrafts is not the fault of the bank but the fault of the end-user of the institution. Because of the amount of fraud that persists in this day and age, banks and other financial institutions have to be sure that said deposit (in check form) is actually legitimate and not a fake. Most of this checking is done digitally and electronically.

Also Sity, alot of the photos your posting are kind of out dated. Not that i dont appreciate them but a few are pretty old. For example the old interior of Stuaqpaq (AC grocery store).

As for the Original poster.... If you are set on moving to Barrow AK. Make sure you have a large amount of money saved and part of that set aside for emergencies only. No you do not need a car for barrow, but it helps alot not having to take a taxi everywhere. Can get an ATV instead of a car but you will need very good cold weather gear for the winters. Personally an ATV trumps a snow machine if you are looking for a multi-purpose vehicle. Also, on the car part of your questions, look into Mini Trucks, they have an enclosed cab with a heater and most are 4wd, can get them on the cheap usually and they weight considerably less, which is good for when you ship it north (very expensive shipping vehicles to Barrow).

You mentioned going to the junior college here in Barrow, that is doable because of the bus route, i am not sure about volunteering here, might be better off getting a lower end job at the AC or at the Gym (watching kids playing basketball or other indoor sports).

Be forewarned, if you are not comfortable with spending alot of time alone, or with just family/spouse. Retiring to Barrow would not be advisable. If you enjoy reindeer hunting, other cultures, large stretches of tundra (drive out cake eater rd.), lemmings, whale hunts, polar bear alerts, and the occasional glimpse of the "Northern Lights"... Then by all means get yer life in order and move here.

I was just another "white guy" over a year ago who moved to Barrow to join his wife and her teaching career, while i have not made a ton of friends here yet, the ones i work with i consider them all my friends. Weather they are Phillipino, Korean, Samoan, Tongan, Kroatian, Inupiaq, Russian, Martian, Vulcan, they are all still a fellow citizen of a very unique place to live, and that means something, something you don't really get to experience much in larger populations of the world.

Anyhow, catch me filling the freezer shelves at the AC during the day, name is Robert and i am always willing to help, or just chat about anything.

Oh, Sity, you mentioned Floyd.... bad boy just let sleeping dogs be

Old 07-10-2011, 02:31 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,791,297 times
Yes some of my photos of barrow are not up to date: My bad for posting them.

As far as Wells Fargo Bank you didn't read what I said. Cash is put into the account; overdrafts are issued, on any purchase made.

I filed a police report; against WF. The manager was quickly removed and sent to another village.

When a person deposits cash,, three days later, is charged with 5 over drafts per day for a week when no activity or purchases are being made; that is not a 'computer glitch'.

I am happy to hear that you enjoy Barrow so much, Yes it is a great place in my opinion and for the lifestyle I want to live.

For others, it would drive them nucking futz!!

I much perfer the smaller villages such as Point Hope or Wainwright. They are less noisy, with much less traffic.

We will be back in Barrow very soon (fingers crossed). I will enjoy meeting you in person!! You can spot me very easily. I look taller and thinner but exactly the same face as.. ! That's what my sons all keep telling me!!

Old 07-10-2011, 02:32 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,257,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dradiin View Post

Also Sity, alot of the photos your posting are kind of out dated. Not that i dont appreciate them but a few are pretty old. For example the old interior of Stuaqpaq (AC grocery store).
Proof Sity doesn't live there, hasn't in some time. So stop saying "up here".

Old 07-10-2011, 02:39 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,156,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
ROFLMAO!!
So, do you actually Roll On Floor Laughing your Arse Off?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:46 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,257,975 times
What I am saying is that you give the impression that you live in Barrow. I have never said anything in regards to shouldn't post... Just don't pretend you live there.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:49 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,607,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I just gave Floyd rep. for a post he made on 6/25/11. Can't rep a banned member.
That and his profile page says his last activity was 4:44 today. I'm pretty sure you can't log in if you're banned.

BTW what happened with your blog?

Old 07-10-2011, 02:53 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,764,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
That and his profile page says his last activity was 4:44 today. I'm pretty sure you can't log in if you're banned.

Not a lot of time for it right now. I'm spending more time on my FB page, which you are welcome to join:

Wild Fish | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002376573547 - broken link)

Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,443,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post

But its' 12:54 here in AK. ?? Just sayin. Unless his computer's time is screwy or he's in the -48.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:55 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,607,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Not a lot of time for it right now. I'm spending more time on my FB page, which you are welcome to join:

Wild Fish | Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002376573547 - broken link)
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alaska